What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

On 27/03/2024 at 14:42, Pie man said:

Oil and filter change, brake fluid change, chain checked along with the other 500 or so checks the KTM dealer so called does at the service. 

Just clocked over 4200 miles in the last 12 months, probable put another 1K before my trip. Now the question is 'do I replace the tyres before the tour in May'. I have read reports of people riding  9K with the Avon Trailriders before changing them. 🧐  

Check your tyres. If they've still got decent tread after 5000 miles they may well be decent for your tour. Personally I've yet to get much more than 5000 miles from a rear tyre but it depends on how you ride etc.

Wash and brush up and some time with the cover off. Once the breeze has dried it off I’ll give the chain a light coating of oil as it’s not going to move for another 3 weeks.

IMG_1750.thumb.jpeg.dbd411858ac0221890bf834a493e6d35.jpeg

But. Woe. Trauma. Rust on the exhaust hanger!! I’m not sure if I need to go and lie down in a darkened room. Fall to the floor and foam at the mouth. Or break out the brandy.

maybe all three.

the horror. It’s a Scorpion part. So there’s that. But… even so. It’s ruined my day. Sigh.

IMG_1751.thumb.jpeg.1a3900142241ef3ef58bd84e6d680ecb.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

No paint and I can’t be bothered with it today. So instant cure. IMG_1753.thumb.jpeg.533e420ee6a7ecf834c2326196032791.jpeg

painted it with gear oil. In the nick of time too. It’s just starting to rain. Rain spots on my shiny bike. It’s just one thing after another. Anyway the rust is cunningly disguised until I can be motivated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Fitted an alarm, new mirrors, removed the christian fish symbol the previous owner had pot on the tank, added heated grips, fitted a phone holder and replaced the horn (it had a massive car one fitted lol)
Gotta love buying a used 1997 bike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I will be stripping down the front forks on the Bobber...again....so I can measure up the spacers and make an arrangement with TEC for them to revise their progressive spring kit. 

I hope they are paying you R&D rate 😀

• Haha 2

That would be more than a bit annoying and in the worst possible place as well. I think bast*rd would have been the most genteel comment I might have made.

On 28/03/2024 at 20:25, S-Westerly said:

Check your tyres. If they've still got decent tread after 5000 miles they may well be decent for your tour. Personally I've yet to get much more than 5000 miles from a rear tyre but it depends on how you ride etc.

I like to think I rode Smoooooth, unlike some heavy handed hooooligans on here 🤣🤣 :thumb:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

That would be more than a bit annoying and in the worst possible place as well. I think bast*rd would have been the most genteel comment I might have made.

I was quite happy tbh, I thought the noise was a broken spoke or busted disk. Planning on going more knobblie rubber so this isn’t a great sad. It’s done around 600 miles with the fixing, it’ll last 200 more until the service. 

• Like 2

Well, yesterday my phone mount arrived so I thought I’d quickly fit it but it’s turned into a more serious operation!

I took a few panels off looking for places to run wires for charging lead etc and before I knew it the front end was missing 😆

while it was apart I decided to remove the hid lights and retro fit halogen bulbs ( will upgrade soon)

its currently still in bits as I’m gonna fit heated  grips today 

a lonely bloke and a tool box is a dangerous mix 😂

84092227-8823-46FC-BB01-59797CF38AB5.jpeg

5CB98048-8CA9-4E80-A8E1-61A6A5EFD61A.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oudafuq said:

Well, yesterday my phone mount arrived so I thought I’d quickly fit it but it’s turned into a more serious operation!

I took a few panels off looking for places to run wires for charging lead etc and before I knew it the front end was missing 😆

while it was apart I decided to remove the hid lights and retro fit halogen bulbs ( will upgrade soon)

its currently still in bits as I’m gonna fit heated  grips today 

a lonely bloke and a tool box is a dangerous mix 😂

84092227-8823-46FC-BB01-59797CF38AB5.jpeg

5CB98048-8CA9-4E80-A8E1-61A6A5EFD61A.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

Hope you have small feet with those parts on the floor

Fitted heated grips today and when removing old grips , I discovered the previous owner had fitted not one, but two pairs of grip puppies 🤔

amazingly I can now operate the clutch a lot better! 
Hoping tomorrows weather is kinder so I’m able to put bike back together and maybe actually get out on it 

IMG_1353.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've sent the measurements to TEC regarding the progressive springs and adjustable caps for my Bobber. The oem spacer is 180mm.

oem springs 325mm 

TEC springs 330mm 

oem caps 17mm

TEC caps 21mm minimum preload

So with the new springs and caps there's 9mm difference which why they are a bugger to fit and then there's no negative preload left. 

I reckon if they send their kit with 170mm spacers the problem is sorted. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Talk about sod's law!

My Beeline died. It wouldn't take a charge, I tried everything but it just wasn't playing ball. If it could get a glimmer of life out of it then it was flickering but nothing worked. To be fair Beeline are sending me a new charger free of cost which is good customer support as it's way out of warranty. So no complaints there.

So I went out and bought a new UA phone case and two sets of bar mounts for both bikes. Then I invested in a Cardo Spirit so I could hear the navigation prompts. I got it all working over the weekend.

And this morning get back to my desk and notice my Beeline sat there - working perfectly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Talk about sod's law!

My Beeline died. It wouldn't take a charge, I tried everything but it just wasn't playing ball. If it could get a glimmer of life out of it then it was flickering but nothing worked. To be fair Beeline are sending me a new charger free of cost which is good customer support as it's way out of warranty. So no complaints there.

So I went out and bought a new UA phone case and two sets of bar mounts for both bikes. Then I invested in a Cardo Spirit so I could hear the navigation prompts. I got it all working over the weekend.

And this morning get back to my desk and notice my Beeline sat there - working perfectly.

It's going to be a good day. "Bee" sure to buy a lottery ticket.

"Hello, extraction required. From Doncaster."

"Ok. On my way (after preparing the mighty Merc)."

PXL_20240403_185948588.thumb.jpg.8e936cba58925adb158b6123e6b8c25e.jpgClutch cable snapped in some godforsaken intercity street and the trailer is in a thousand pieces having some deserving r&r.

Luckily I have a collection of 5+ clutch cables. Turns out none are good enough though. Slinky glide emergency cable kit to the rescue. Fair bit of cutting, faffing, filing and we're away with an Amazon prime order on for another cable. Shame they don't do rescue service, I'm down a few hours but up a beer. 

• Like 5