Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Today we are support bubbling so get to see my two youngest grandchildren. Then for dinner tonight I have a 900 g t-bone which will be cooked rare with a bottle of good red wine to wash it down. Its also not raining which is a plus!

On the t bone steak note I ordered one from room service in a hotel and the kitchen person said “Madam with the T-bone steak you will have a better experience with medium-rare rather than rare” I questioned him because I always order rare as they dare and he explained Tbone and the type of proteins better lent themselves to slightly longer cooking. I reluctantly agreed to try it and he was spot on. 

10 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Week three with a leaking intermittently working washing machine and no dishwasher. Flooring is wrecked. 

Repair man says parts n labour £300 for washing machine (as has multiple things wrong) and he’s not prepared to guarantee that’ll fix all of the faults either. Dishwasher repair £220 making a grand total of 😱😱😱

Going to cut my losses on the washing machine as it’s at least 15 years old and given its averaged 2-3 loads a day during that time and shamefully has never so much as seen a sniff of descaler I think it’s done for. 

My appliance maintenance is non existent. How often are you supposed to chuck washing machine cleaner in a washing machine and what stuff do you use? 

Update on dull domestic post- washing machine ordered. Might of got a bit carried away (£999 😬) but hey in lockdown washing passes for entertainment doesn’t it? For the money I’m hoping it also irons the clothes 😂

• Haha 3

Good afternoon!

This lockdown stuff is getting tiring now. I'm trying to get a joiner in to install some internal doors, a front door, and a made to measure set of mirrored doors. But I'm having a hard time finding anyone, and I found a good reason today when one was honest and said "tbh, it's a couple of days work, and there's bigger jobs out there we can squeeze and charge more for to do those couple of days". 

Would do it myself but it needs some pretty serious trimming of doors and I don't have the right saws. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Good afternoon!

This lockdown stuff is getting tiring now. I'm trying to get a joiner in to install some internal doors, a front door, and a made to measure set of mirrored doors. But I'm having a hard time finding anyone, and I found a good reason today when one was honest and said "tbh, it's a couple of days work, and there's bigger jobs out there we can squeeze and charge more for to do those couple of days". 

Would do it myself but it needs some pretty serious trimming of doors and I don't have the right saws. 

For trimming a door to fit properly you need a planer not a saw unless you're cutting a good chunk out of it 

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

On the t bone steak note I ordered one from room service in a hotel and the kitchen person said “Madam with the T-bone steak you will have a better experience with medium-rare rather than rare” I questioned him because I always order rare as they dare and he explained Tbone and the type of proteins better lent themselves to slightly longer cooking. I reluctantly agreed to try it and he was spot on. 

Actually with a thick t-bone I cook it in the oven rather than on a grill or in a pan. This makes it more medium rare rather than the "blued" version I'd have a sirloin etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Actually with a thick t-bone I cook it in the oven rather than on a grill or in a pan. This makes it more medium rare rather than the "blued" version I'd have a sirloin etc.

Rub some olive oil before placing it in the pan. Put the hob full blast for a couple minutes on both sides then lower it to medium heat.

Won't burn and will be as rare as you want :thumb: 

3 minutes ago, husoi said:

Rub some olive oil before placing it in the pan. Put the hob full blast for a couple minutes on both sides then lower it to medium heat.

Won't burn and will be as rare as you want :thumb: 

Nope, I like my steaks the way I like 'em. If I rub them with anything it's a dab of Tewkesbury Mustard. Pan fried I'll  go with the olive oil but this beast is going in the oven.

20210209_153833.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Fozzie

I just fitted all new doors in my house last year. Can you see the fun I had trimming my bedroom door to make it fit? :shock:

IMG_20200814_221656.jpg

I really should of just taken out the frame and fitted new, would of probably taken as much time as it did to plane the door into shape!! I'm betting it was one joiner who did the frame and another who came along to hang the door as no way would someone make a job that hard for themself :lol:

As a bonus though it meant I had an excuse to buy myself nice new tools (electric planer and some half decent wood chisels)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

@Fozzie

I just fitted all new doors in my house last year. Can you see the fun I had trimming my bedroom door to make it fit? :shock:

IMG_20200814_221656.jpg

I really should of just taken out the frame and fitted new, would of probably taken as much time as it did to plane the door into shape!! I'm betting it was one joiner who did the frame and another who came along to hang the door as no way would someone make a job that hard for themself :lol:

As a bonus though it meant I had an excuse to buy myself nice new tools (electric planer and some half decent wood chisels)

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
Oops clicked save 😂 Was a gif of wonky carpentry
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

@Fozzie

IMG_20200814_221656.jpg

It took me a minute to spot! But I'm guessing once you've spotted it, you can't stop seeing it. Does it look ok with the door open? As that would honestly be my fix, just leave it open :lol:

I had the same thought with acquiring more tools, but my flat is a 70s built structure and all the doors are non-standard sizes, which is sending the price shooting up, so I'm planning on being lazy and letting it be someone else's problem. I've got to replace all the radiators next, which I can do, but I find balancing them a dark art. 

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Godamnit S-westerly I no longer want curry now but am not risking the germfest that is the supermarket to get steak n wine! Could you stop eating such fine fare!

Got some bavette steak in the fridge for steak n kidney pudding but thats not gonna cut it is it!

Steak is from local butcher and wine was prezzie from my son. Good boy.

Steak without copious juices ie blood is just shoe leather 😈

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Steak is from local butcher and wine was prezzie from my son. Good boy.

Not from a supermarket.... the size n the marbling might be something of a giveaway!

How old do sons have to get before they bring you wine?!

How was having the grandchildren today?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Not from a supermarket.... the size n the marbling might be something of a giveaway!

How old do sons have to get before they bring you wine?!

How was having the grandchildren today?

Son is 34 so a bit ahead of yours. He's also a brilliant cook so an invite to dinner is never refused! Bugger runs marathons too so is not as rotund as me. Pre-Covid was training for Triathlon (loon). Grandaughter was in fine fettle and great fun. Youngest Grandson has just discovered he has hands. Not sure what they're for yet.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Week three with a leaking intermittently working washing machine and no dishwasher. Flooring is wrecked. 

Repair man says parts n labour £300 for washing machine (as has multiple things wrong) and he’s not prepared to guarantee that’ll fix all of the faults either. Dishwasher repair £220 making a grand total of 😱😱😱

Going to cut my losses on the washing machine as it’s at least 15 years old and given its averaged 2-3 loads a day during that time and shamefully has never so much as seen a sniff of descaler I think it’s done for. 

My appliance maintenance is non existent. How often are you supposed to chuck washing machine cleaner in a washing machine and what stuff do you use?

rush out and buy a new one :wave:

1 hour ago, rennie said:

Good Evening :-D

I practiced my snow driving this morning!

unusually it was worse in Brum than home :scratch:

I don't like rare meat! I like it cooked through and just slightly pink in the middle! no blood! 

Not gonna be having steak tartare at your place then?!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tiggie said:

@Fozzie

IMG_20200814_221656.jpg

Presumably as old door fits,take off, lay on new door, draw round, cut off excess with circular saw using a guide, bought or home made, light plane or sand, you won't get any tearing if you have a good saw blade

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

It took me a minute to spot! But I'm guessing once you've spotted it, you can't stop seeing it. Does it look ok with the door open? As that would honestly be my fix, just leave it open :lol:

I had the same thought with acquiring more tools, but my flat is a 70s built structure and all the doors are non-standard sizes, which is sending the price shooting up, so I'm planning on being lazy and letting it be someone else's problem. I've got to replace all the radiators next, which I can do, but I find balancing them a dark art. 

water is lazy and goes round the easy way, thermostatic valve fully open, if non fitted pick a side, use same side on all rads so you know where you are, all on that side fully open, other side find out where mid position is and set them all to that, put heating on, within the first 5 mins see which rads are the hottest, usually the ones close to boiler, turn those off fully then open them up half a turn, check again next time, if rads you turned down are still noticeably hot much quicker than others turn down a further 1/4, if one goes off turn back on just a small amount, work your way around rads till heat is dispersed evenly. Only takes 3 or 4 goes but easier to do from cold

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1