Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

The best laid plans…

Due to go for a short break to celebrate our birthdays (both happening soon), one of the kids who we’d visited the weekend sent a text to say she had covid.  We tested last night. All clear. This morning, though, my good lady tested positive. 🙁

We used out last LFT’s so can’t monitor my situation, which isn’t good given my asthma has been problematic these last few weeks. 

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

The best laid plans…

Due to go for a short break to celebrate our birthdays (both happening soon), one of the kids who we’d visited the weekend sent a text to say she had covid.  We tested last night. All clear. This morning, though, my good lady tested positive. 🙁

We used out last LFT’s so can’t monitor my situation, which isn’t good given my asthma has been problematic these last few weeks. 

Sorry to hear that. Last time looked LFTs were in short supply but some were available for people with health issues. I've previously found that new supplies pop up from hour to hour so maybe keep checking.

10 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Sorry to hear that. Last time looked LFTs were in short supply but some were available for people with health issues. I've previously found that new supplies pop up from hour to hour so maybe keep checking.

We have some on order. Hopefully will arrive in the next day or so. 

25 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

The best laid plans…

I couldn't order any more lateral flows via the governement website. If someone can get some from a pharmacy for you you can get some using the qr code at the pharmacy. The free tests end on 31st so we got 2 boxes 

Covid seems to be going through some kind of quiet resurgence at the moment. As my girlfriends family have it, a load of my friends both in Scotland and London have it, and this comes off the back of people around me here in Manchester having had it. Now I'm reading about it on here more (or feels like it). 

Hope all recover quickly and without lingering effects. I had several months of long covid, and it was really troublesome at times. 

The good weather is here as well, so an even bigger shame to be hiding away indoors! 

46 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Covid seems to be going through some kind of quiet resurgence at the moment. As my girlfriends family have it, a load of my friends both in Scotland and London have it, and this comes off the back of people around me here in Manchester having had it. Now I'm reading about it on here more (or feels like it). 

Hope all recover quickly and without lingering effects. I had several months of long covid, and it was really troublesome at times. 

The good weather is here as well, so an even bigger shame to be hiding away indoors! 

It’s rife. The figures are not looking pretty. I didn’t know as many people with Covid during previous surges as I know now. 3 of our kids, and partners / children have had it in the last few weeks.

An acquaintance posted to a mutual friend (the wife of our old judo coach, must be nearly 90) that he’s love to visit her “now covid has gone away”. I despair. 

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

Don’t test .... if you feel ill stay at home until you feel better ... the way we have been doing for hundreds of years ..... 

So looking forward to the end of free tests ......

Maybe Covid lifestyle fans could form a club .... sort of like “Dallas Buyer's Club”  .... but for a different type of drug.

18 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

It’s rife. The figures are not looking pretty. I didn’t know as many people with Covid during previous surges as I know now. 3 of our kids, and partners / children have had it in the last few weeks.

An acquaintance posted to a mutual friend (the wife of our old judo coach, must be nearly 90) that he’s love to visit her “now covid has gone away”. I despair. 

Its definitely not gone away.

Into my 4th week now.  Post covid complications etc for the last 2 week.

I still feel like shite and my breathing is atrocious. 

And I am relatively fit and healthy.

Stay safe.

34 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Don’t test .... if you feel ill stay at home until you feel better ... the way we have been doing for hundreds of years ..... 

So looking forward to the end of free tests ......

Maybe Covid lifestyle fans could form a club .... sort of like “Dallas Buyer's Club”  .... but for a different type of drug.

My good lady has a bit of a sore throat. Certainly not enough to keep her off work if we weren’t retired. COVID still transmissible at this stage, so could readily infect others, so waiting until you feel unwell is not a good strategy, o at least, not if you have any concern for, say, the vulnerable. 

As I’ve been having problems managing my asthma recently, I really don’t fancy catching it. So testing after finding out we’ve been in contact with a confirmed case is a sensible precaution. 

Covid contagion study.

29 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

My good lady has a bit of a sore throat. Certainly not enough to keep her off work if we weren’t retired. COVID still transmissible at this stage, so could readily infect others, so waiting until you feel unwell is not a good strategy, o at least, not if you have any concern for, say, the vulnerable. 

As I’ve been having problems managing my asthma recently, I really don’t fancy catching it. So testing after finding out we’ve been in contact with a confirmed case is a sensible precaution. 

Covid contagion study.

I was in work on Friday. I felt fine until around 3 when I started feeling a bit rough. I did a test when I got home which was positive - wife and kids all tested positive too.

It's spread all round the office and my son's school is heaving with it.

None of us have felt like we've got more than a bit of a cold and the only reason I did a test was because the mother-in-law was due round on Saturday. If it wasn't for that the we would all have carried on our usual business.

We have had a "don’t come to work if you feeling ill" policy for the 20 years i’ve run the company. We trust our staff to be honest and have rarely been taken advantage of.

Throughout the worst of Covid we only had 1 member of staff out of 32 have symptoms / catch covid  .......     me.  Or more likely we all had it but showed no symptoms.

I’m not as blasé  as i might sound about covid ... but times have moved on and if your not testing for diabetes, heart disease, ... god forbid ... Flu, then whats the point of testing for a cold ...

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

That's an issue I've seen. There are groups of people who think as it's not in the news, it's basically gone away. On the flip side, there are those who still seem to be in denial. Saw someone eat their words when they boasted they'd never caught it, and no one they knew had, and about 2 weeks later the script was flipped, they and "everyone" had it and one suffering badly with it. 

My nan turns 97 this week, and while she's sharp, physically able etc, I'm not seeing her without a test. As while I'm sure she'd recover, it's not something I'm going to leave just to chance. The psychos online seem to think she should shuffle off, woman worked 2-3 jobs most of her life, and still today leads many events in her area. Very active, and helps the community. 

Its what I hate most about the pandemic, it reduced some people down to viewing people as just numbers...

• Like 2

I'm all clear about a week now. Its still here but I think the new strategy was living with covid. People seem to have it and suffer less severe symptoms, more people jabbed and the virus mutating in a different way. No covid measures now like masks and stuff so it will spread. I just stopped in, tried to stay active in the house and garden a and wear a mask again now. I know I shouldn't be contagious but just to be sure I'll mask up for another week. Still have a bit of breathing and fatigue issues but nothing too major 

• Like 2

I have just killed the Queen.

Before MI5 jump on this and send round the heavy squad I mean one of my bees. Over the winter she had become a drone layer so the colony is doomed if she stays in there. I am in the process of clearing the bees into the lowermost box which I will then combine with another colony who has a good laying Queen.

I also went through a colony that has a right stroppy Queen and found her. Attempts last year when the colony was a full strength became too much of a battle. 80,000 very angry bees trying to prevent you finding their Queen isn't a great experience. Rather than bumping her off today I've marked her so I can find easily in a few weeks when I can buy in a replacement. 

• Like 1

Never realised that beekeeping was so bloodthirsty! There's a few folks round my way who keep bees which I quite like as it means my fruit trees have a good chance of being pollinated.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Never realised that beekeeping was so bloodthirsty! There's a few folks round my way who keep bees which I quite like as it means my fruit trees have a good chance of being pollinated.

A Queen that has become a drone layer means the whole colony is doomed. As it happened over the winter there's nothing the rest of the colony can do about it as they have no eggs they can make into a new Queen. She is laying but they are unfertilised eggs so can only hatch as male bees (drones). I could put in some eggs from another colony but as these are all bees that have lived through the winter they are too old to raise a new Queen who will be any good. Hence the kindest thing to do is to remove the failed Queen and unite them with a colony that has a healthy laying Queen. Colony sizes at this time of year are smaller but there's still around 10-15,000 bees in there so this gives them the best chance possible. They won't live long now as they are winter bees laid last autumn. The summer bees usually live around 5 weeks for their usual lifespan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see the Chancellor has knocked 5p off fuel duty. That will drop the price back to what it was at lunchtime today before they added an extra 5p a litre. 

At our local Shell it was £1.65 this morning and it will be £1.65 tomorrow morning. It just so happens to have been £1.70 this afternoon. 

How strange. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I see the Chancellor has knocked 5p off fuel duty. That will drop the price back to what it was at lunchtime today before they added an extra 5p a litre. 

At our local Shell it was £1.65 this morning and it will be £1.65 tomorrow morning. It just so happens to have been £1.70 this afternoon. 

How strange. 

With Aprilia developing a 2T injection engine, it would make sense if other manufacturers made some and they were able to run on pure 100% Ethanol, using a plant based 2T oil us bikers wouldn't have to worry over fuel prices and shortages :thumb:

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A Queen that has become a drone layer means the whole colony is doomed. As it happened over the winter there's nothing the rest of the colony can do about it as they have no eggs they can make into a new Queen. She is laying but they are unfertilised eggs so can only hatch as male bees (drones). I could put in some eggs from another colony but as these are all bees that have lived through the winter they are too old to raise a new Queen who will be any good. Hence the kindest thing to do is to remove the failed Queen and unite them with a colony that has a healthy laying Queen. Colony sizes at this time of year are smaller but there's still around 10-15,000 bees in there so this gives them the best chance possible. They won't live long now as they are winter bees laid last autumn. The summer bees usually live around 5 weeks for their usual lifespan.

A friend of ours keeps bees. She talked to my good lady at length about bee management over dinner one evening. Bloody complicated if you ask me.

We’re hoping a local bee keeper will put a hive or two on our paddock once we’ve made some progress towards it being a wildflower meadow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

How do they survive in the wild when there is no management team?

Also how much does  a queen cost oooerr. 

21 minutes ago, Bender said:

How do they survive in the wild when there is no management team?

Also how much does  a queen cost oooerr. 

Very often they don't survive which is why bees are in decline. Since we rely on them to pollinate our food it has been said that if the bees become extinct the human race has less than four years left on the planet.

A Queen bee costs between £40-50 and there's every chance the colony won't accept her and will kill her so it's an expensive loss if you can't persuade them to accept her.

• Like 1

Good evening. 

So i did the walk and talk again today with the batley bulldogs.

Tell you what.

Don't want to preach and we all know I'm a bit of a mental health warrior.  BUT get out there, get in fresh air (ish living on the sodding west Yorkshire conurbation)...

If players, former players, random RL eejits from the toughest sport there is can talk.  Every bugger can.

• Like 1