Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Pulled the trigger last night on a new desktop computer, to replace the one Im using right now, which is 10 years old. First the website said it would be delivered on Wednesday. Then once I completed the payment it said it would be delivered on Tuesday. And then just now a text message from DPD - your package will be delivered today between 1 and 2.

Unexpected.

I should really go to bed. Work tonight. (sigh)

Awful rain last night - all night. and its going to rain almost all day. however forecast says it will stop when im walking. so there's that.

if good luck runs in 3s I might be tempted to buy a lottery ticket mañana. though I say that a lot and always forget.

(sigh)

• Like 1

On 26/11/2023 at 11:29, S-Westerly said:

My birthday prezzie from.my Dad.20231126_103946.thumb.jpg.c1b4e7451ebbf67f5c5356cd4bbb41f9.jpg

I have never tried this whisky before but it looks expensive.  This has given me a good idea to get for my friend for Christmas.  How much does a Highland Park whisky cost?

JJ

41 minutes ago, Pie man said:

To my fellow Lancastrians. 

Screenshot_20231127-205112_Facebook.thumb.jpg.660beae5b6bee6a06ae10bfd23b0d913.jpg

My father was the founder of the Friends of Real Lancashire, campaigning to reinstate the historic boundaries of the county palatine.  We always have hot pot and a party on Lancashire Day. Sadly he died last Christmas so this was our first event without him. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

My father was the founder of the Friends of Real Lancashire, campaigning to reinstate the historic boundaries of the county palatine.  We always have hot pot and a party on Lancashire Day. Sadly he died last Christmas so this was our first event without him. 

Myself and a couple of my Warringtonion friends still refer ourselves as Lancastrians, even though we are supposed to use Greater Manchester for administrative purposes, I still put Lancashire on my postal address. I loathe using Greater Manchester.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pie man said:

Myself and a couple of my Warringtonion friends still refer ourselves as Lancastrians, even though we are supposed to use Greater Manchester for administrative purposes, I still put Lancashire on my postal address. I loathe using Greater Manchester.

www.forl.co.uk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, janinej said:

I have never tried this whisky before but it looks expensive.  This has given me a good idea to get for my friend for Christmas.  How much does a Highland Park whisky cost?

JJ

This particular bottle is £60. There are cheaper (and more expensive) options. 

New desktop is now set-up and completely familiar as almost everything that was on the old is now on the new.

Im not one for change so they even look identical... with only some slight differences in appearance.

Top is a 2023 M2 pro and for now its sitting on top of my ancient 2012 2.6ghz i7 (originally a server - which I modified - bought it broken "spares or repairs" they said, in 2014, it was dirty. fan was in a right state, just needed cleaning!!)

I tend to keep things for a very long time. very long. So this one should last while I'm waiting for the worms.

2B992D54-C15A-4888-9BE8-329F9E4B7588.thumb.JPG.4f621f3ee51dc66015704a7a8dc8c011.JPG

Main differences. its lightning fast. cold to the touch - the old one never got hot, but it did always feel warm to the touch. silent (no change there) and did I mention it was fast? its not fast - its instant.

Boot times on the old was 40 seconds, which I thought was quick for such an old device. The new one does the same in <10 seconds. Dual SSD and 16GB 

Applications open instantly.

Good to have the latest OS. with all its attendant security. I can finally use the computer for banking and other highly sensitive stuff and not rely completely on my phone. a big plus. hooj.

Anyway. not much left to set up on it. just need to find some rather more modern versions of some of the applications that it couldn't transfer. I'll do that tomorrow. day off. Now, about to get ready for a fun packed night with the rampaging schizophrenics. (bless em)