Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

I am feeling rather pleased with myself. I spent the afternoon fitting a replacement window regulator and motor to the front passenger door of my old Astra. It's one of those fiddly jobs with lots of moving bits that need to line up .... none of which you can see very well.

Plus the regulator was the lever kind which are more critical on lining up. And it was riveted in place which is a bit of a faff as my riveter came off a market stall and isn't the greatest bit of kit.

But I now have a working window, and no bits left over, and I only broke one clip doing it.

Time for a beer, or three. 

• Like 1

Good morning :thumb:

Our first Bike night of the year tonight for Donny Bikers, if you are in the area pop down should be a good turn out tonight.

Starts around 5.30-6.00 pm at the Sun Inn.

941003525_SunInn.thumb.jpg.7383c1d8c641abfa40430481f25030a9.jpg

Well. 

I had a drink in the van last night.  First proper one since the long covid shite.

Half a bottle of wine and a rather large gin.

I woke up with headache and a heart beating like a bugger....lol

Grace has booked a table in the Marine for tea (with some friends of ours) and I have requested she books the ambulance for 7 pm😂

• Haha 6

Good afternoon all, well today I am remembering how I learned about engines before motorbikes.  

I just bought another outboard, long story mine is dying of over use.  Engine runs great but the clamps and bracket are shot. It’s irreplaceable being 2 stroke.
So I bought an outboard for the bracket, however it appears quite fixable…
So engines I now maintain 3 outboards, 2 motorbikes the inboard on the boat and 2 cars.

Must stop collecting.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, NeilM said:

Well. 

I had a drink in the van last night.  First proper one since the long covid shite.

Half a bottle of wine and a rather large gin.

I woke up with headache and a heart beating like a bugger....lol

Grace has booked a table in the Marine for tea (with some friends of ours) and I have requested she books the ambulance for 7 pm😂

Well.

Now heres a tale....

No I'm not in Hull general but have spent the last 2 hours on hornsea beach freezing my tits off in a t shirt and shorts.

So.  Relatively behaved my self.  Had a nice tea and a few pints. Left at 10 to 7pm.

Walking on the front back to site this young couple ask if we know owt about seals as there's one stranded.

I know nothing about seals neither does Grace or Brendan n Cath.  BUT we are a few pints in.......

Cue.  Initially dreadful attempts to get it back into the sea where I thought it was going to take my hand off.

Several phone calls to various organisations we found on Google.

Seal rescue eventually turned up.

Evidently nowt really up with it and it just fancied a rest.......

I am now panting like a bugger and drinking an Irish coffee......

As my mate has just stated, if we'd have got a taxi none of this shite would have happened....lol

• Haha 8

Good afternoon!

I'm back after just over a week off from work. It was a last minute thing, as in short, I'm fed up working where I do at the moment. I burned myself out last year doing 4 projects at once (we are usually loaded up with 2), and was also trying to assist others on their jobs. This ended with me frantically trying to rush drawings out for a job before I had an operation, which were gibberish. Fortunately, I caught the issue, and re-did them before they were issued. 

We lost a member of staff, who it turned out was just doing as little as he could. He left his jobs in a right mess, with far bigger problems than I made in a rush. Another member of staff is irritating me, he's senior, back in the office he spent all day on the phone managing his multiple houses, and has done 2 projects in 3 years (one of which was cancelled, the other he has been on nearly a year). It has been pointed out by other seniors that I have been outperforming a couple of these types for years. And despite asking for a plan for 2 years, nothing has been given but excuses. 

The problem is, I don't want the development path anymore. Why jump through hoops others don't have to? Why operate at a standard, not expected of them? And despite being the same level as other engineers, I also don't get a company car, so I have to endure the gleeful chats of engineers going on about how they save hundreds a month, charging their swanky EV car for free at the office. 

So I took a week off, hoping to cool off, compose myself, and come back with a firm but fair response. Got my bike all fixed up at least, but I'm actually feeling worse. 

• Like 1

Evening all! 

First day back at work tomorrow after 6 off :roll: 

Been a busy 6 days getting things sorted for the wife's 40th party on Saturdaout on the Friday night for a meal with a mate and his wife to be and their friends then met up with @rennie and @Susieque who both came up for Tracey's party! it was good to see @NeilM and @yorbandit on Saturday night too 

Its been non bloody stop and I will be glad to get back to work for a rest :lol: 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Evening all! 

First day back at work tomorrow after 6 off :roll: 

Been a busy 6 days getting things sorted for the wife's 40th party on Saturdaout on the Friday night for a meal with a mate and his wife to be and their friends then met up with @rennie and @Susieque who both came up for Tracey's party! it was good to see @NeilM and @yorbandit on Saturday night too 

Its been non bloody stop and I will be glad to get back to work for a rest :lol: 

Was good seeing you all.

Enjoy work.  I don't go back till Saturday...lol

• Like 2

So went out this evening to get some fence paint and an unexpected trip further along to have fish and chips by the River courtesy of Mrs H. Even more unexpected on the way home was to find a guy sat half in the middle of the road distressed. So call the rozzers and pull over, said guy then starts playing with the traffic walking towards a blind crest of a hill on a 50 limit. Long story short I had to play chicken with the traffic to stop him getting squished while the wife corralled traffic with the car. I genuinely think humanity is stuffed when people won't wait and slow down and would rather shout abuse at you overtake and try to kill themselves other motorists and the guy to get where they are going slightly quicker. Hats off to the handful of sensible people who put their hazards on and slowed the world down until the rozzers came and scooped the poor guy up before he got hurt

• Like 6

8 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

So went out this evening to get some fence paint and an unexpected trip further along to have fish and chips by the River courtesy of Mrs H. Even more unexpected on the way home was to find a guy sat half in the middle of the road distressed. So call the rozzers and pull over, said guy then starts playing with the traffic walking towards a blind crest of a hill on a 50 limit. Long story short I had to play chicken with the traffic to stop him getting squished while the wife corralled traffic with the car. I genuinely think humanity is stuffed when people won't wait and slow down and would rather shout abuse at you overtake and try to kill themselves other motorists and the guy to get where they are going slightly quicker. Hats off to the handful of sensible people who put their hazards on and slowed the world down until the rozzers came and scooped the poor guy up before he got hurt

To give another side maybe not be the first time the guy has played with traffic.  Many that do are already known to the police.

Your stopping might just or been what the guy in distress had been wanting for. If it wasn't you out would be sometime else.

As for the behaviour of traffic, I fully agree.

Even sadder thing IMHO in many ways that attitude is sneaking into UK culture.

It's all about me I am more important.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

Good morning!

Had a frank discussion with the boss the other day. Now on course to have a discussion with the big manager, which will hopefully yield a plan. I think he's been too focused on his ideal view for the future of the company, and its caused a lot of legacy issues to be left like spinning plates, until they smash. We've had a lot of engineers leave, even just making sideways moves to try and encourage change, but I'm trying a more direct approach.

And on Saturday, I'm looking at a bike. Nothing fancy, it's a 2011 SV650. I'm quietly tooling up my garage so I can do more projects. I'll still be tarting up the suspension and brakes, but mostly I just need something to get out and about on. I'm also deeply enjoying being in my 30's now, as insurance has finally become sensible. 

Just now, MikeHorton said:

I thi k for thrill factor the sv650 is a great bike they doesn't break the bank. Lovely sounding engine too

I've had 2 of them, a blue one which I owned for several months after I was knocked off a CBR600F. I then sold it to my best mate in London, who owned it for several years, and put about 50k miles on it. The second one I had was an absolute steal, it had done 6000 miles, was only 7 years old and cost me £1700 as the guy had laid it up for 2 years. Tyres were flat, and it was a bit crusty from being stored, the clutch was slipping as it has one of those worm drives on the side of the engine that the level actuates. But cleaned up, it was basically a new bike, I owned that for a few years alongside a few other bikes, and sold it to the brother of the chap I sold the first one. 

Every time I sold one, I regretted it. And I wanted others after that, but when I had a 2nd theft, which was followed by being pulled out on by a postie van (who I dodged only for him to go into an illegal U-turn), the only thing I could insure under £1500 a year was an FZ6, a CB500, or a couple of 250's. 

Z750S is still on the cards, but I test rode one and thought it was a bit too heavy and buzzy for what it was. I expected a Hornet style bike with more oomph, and didn't feel it delivered. 

Makes sense to get another if it fits the bill for you. I do like the look of the newer sv650x cafe racer style. Suzuki have a good knack at being able to reincarnate bikes over a long time. If it's not broke don't fix it! 

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

Makes sense to get another if it fits the bill for you. I do like the look of the newer sv650x cafe racer style. Suzuki have a good knack at being able to reincarnate bikes over a long time. If it's not broke don't fix it! 

My only issue with the new version, is it put on some weight (I think), and its got the Gladius frame. That bike was pretty badly panned as it made the bike a bit too curvy in the wrong places. And it has aged pretty badly, whereas the others have stayed much the same. 

But the styling of the SV650X is great, and if you watch 44 Teeth on Youtube, they've done a number of videos of race spec SV's, including the newer ones. Worth a watch :thumb:

• Like 1