Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

@S-Westerly I read about two months ago that thousands of seafarers from different countries were still stranded on ships unable to dock, they’ve been there for months and months some without pay and some not even being fed proper meals. Do you know if this is still the case?

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

9 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@S-Westerly I read about two months ago that thousands of seafarers from different countries were still stranded on ships unable to dock, they’ve been there for months and months some without pay and some not even being fed proper meals. Do you know if this is still the case?

Can't speak for other companies (and there are some horrors out there) but since much of the world started opening up again things have improved. On my own ship  nobody now on board is over their contract.  Up to mid October we had 6 men (of 22) who were significantly over their time. The main issue was getting flights in or out of various countries. Salary wise there was no difference for us and the food was fine.

A lot depends on the ship's trading pattern - a lot of dry bulkers (which are generally low paid) run from South America to the far east, especially  China.  Most of South America is closed and China isn't open for crew change unless you are Chinese. So these guys are screwed.

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Got up this morning at 8.......and no water. Now 6PM and still no water!

Had a big dump at 10AM and the turd is still floating around like a f@cking U-Boat on patrol.

Not easy living under the jackboot of the EU.....what you say @S-Westerly?

Well if you were still in Wales  the one thing you'd not be short of would be water! You chose to go and live in post apocalypse  Spain  so you just have to suck it up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Can't speak for other companies (and there are some horrors out there) but since much of the world started opening up again things have improved. On my own ship  nobody now on board is over their contract.  Up to mid October we had 6 men (of 22) who were significantly over their time. The main issue was getting flights in or out of various countries. Salary wise there was no difference for us and the food was fine.

A lot depends on the ship's trading pattern - a lot of dry bulkers (which are generally low paid) run from South America to the far east, especially  China.  Most of South America is closed and China isn't open for crew change unless you are Chinese. So these guys are screwed.

Jeez. I had assumed the boats would just drop the crew back home, how naive! 

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Very few ships go to where the crew live - my last crew were British,  Russian,  Romanian,  Ukrainian, Bulgarian and  Filipino. This year we never visited  any of those countries except Russia in early May when no crew changes were permitted and the ship diverted into the Philippines in early June  and managed to relieve 6 Filipinos.  From July until last week we were doing the 2020 African safari tour and everywhere was closed until south Africa  opened up a bit on October 2nd. We managed to change out 8 guys in the middle of the month. 

That’s a logistical nightmare (as you know but it’s all news to me). I really rather stupidly thought that if the boats couldn’t carry on there normal business they’d simply get fed up n go round dropping people off wherever they came from. As I type that I can’t believe how dumb it sounds 😂

Its just airline staff still moved about, maybe not for a short while but certainly not for months n months  

Surely there’s some sort of procedure or protocol in place for scenarios where you’re stranded. Or are you just expected to suck it up?

22 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That’s a logistical nightmare (as you know but it’s all news to me). I really rather stupidly thought that if the boats couldn’t carry on there normal business they’d simply get fed up n go round dropping people off wherever they came from. As I type that I can’t believe how dumb it sounds 😂

Its just airline staff still moved about, maybe not for a short while but certainly not for months n months  

Surely there’s some sort of procedure or protocol in place for scenarios where you’re stranded. Or are you just expected to suck it up?

Suck it up. Shipping never stops so although the crew might be stuck on board the cargo is still being shifted and the ships are still moving around. Wandering "off-piste" to relieve crew is expensive; at 35 tonnes of fuel a day (that's eco mode as well) owners won't pay for significant deviations and charterers  even less. 

• Like 1

Guest Richzx6r
2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Got up this morning at 8.......and no water. Now 6PM and still no water!

Had a big dump at 10AM and the turd is still floating around like a f@cking U-Boat on patrol.

Not easy living under the jackboot of the EU.....what you say @S-Westerly?

Your new nickname should be karl then

3 hours ago, Richzx6r said:

Dont worry I have made the provisions for the spotty little oiks when they come knocking in the shape of a glock 18 airsoft gun :twisted:

yes that should send them back down the drive :classic_blink:

12 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Back in 80's I used to spend most of my time working with seafarers stuck in port whose company had gone bust and abandoned them. 

In the middle of winter when fuel oil ran out and the shore electric was cut off life on board wasn't much fun. Most of them didn't even have warm clothes. 

To relieve the gloom we used to entertain ourselves getting on board Russian ships and getting as much vodka down us with the crew before the political official caught us and threw us off. If it went well we got mail off stuffed down our trousers so it could avoid the censor.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Suck it up. Shipping never stops so although the crew might be stuck on board the cargo is still being shifted and the ships are still moving around. Wandering "off-piste" to relieve crew is expensive; at 35 tonnes of fuel a day (that's eco mode as well) owners won't pay for significant deviations and charterers  even less. 

At 35 tonne a day it would be cheaper to box the crew up and fed ex them 😁 

37 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31700049

A feeling of mixed admiration and incredulity leaves you when you read the what happened next at the bottom!

Fascinating read and I get the feeling he would be an interesting guy to chat with !

Thanks for that @Slowlycatchymonkey

Cheers

Ian

3 hours ago, Bender said:

At 35 tonne a day it would be cheaper to box the crew up and fed ex them 😁 

35t a day is child’s play there are smaller ships that can burn more..

https://www.bourbonoffshore.com/sites/default/files/documents-associes/pdf/ahts-bourbon-orca.pdf

50mt a day and non of this heavy oil stuff just the pure diesel for those guys...

Cruise ships leave these standing though.. 250mt a day..

https://cruises.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Much_Fuel_Does_a_Cruise_Ship_Use

1 hour ago, onesea said:

35t a day is child’s play there are smaller ships that can burn more..

https://www.bourbonoffshore.com/sites/default/files/documents-associes/pdf/ahts-bourbon-orca.pdf

50mt a day and non of this heavy oil stuff just the pure diesel for those guys...

Cruise ships leave these standing though.. 250mt a day..

https://cruises.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Much_Fuel_Does_a_Cruise_Ship_Use

When steam powered ULCC's were still a thing you could consume +200 tonnes per day of HFO. We also used to carry over 20,000 tonnes of fuel at capacity. Unlike modern high speed ships which burn a lot but don't carry that much so are constantly  having to bunker.

Also you are comparing apples with pears. A DP oil field support vessel has damned near the horsepower  I have, possibly more. The difference is that I can carry 150,000 tonnes of cargo for 14000 miles without refueling but only at 12 knots.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 2