Christmas Lunch - Favourite meat..

jedibiker

Hey, well its nearly time for the big day of eating.. (or the only excuse to this year)

I must admit Im not a fan or Turkey on its own, so we usually have Turkey and Beef, or Turkey and Lamb. (sorry vegetarians) At times no Turkey at all.

What are you all having, Traditional or your own way..??

Also, what do vegetarians like to have?

Don't know this year, I quite fancy doing a mixed grill, nice juicy aberdeen angus steak, pork and lamb steaks, chargrilled chicken breast, beef tomatoes, big chestnut mushrooms, nice chunky chips and lashings of peppercorn sauce :thumb:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, husoi said:

By far wild boar.

Unfortunately needs to be ordered from the continent, Poland or Germany seems to be the best ones

Best wild boar I had was in Tallinn.

I'm old grump set in my ways, we have turkey, it's the only time we have turkey and I cook the lot so this year we are having turkey.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

Best wild boar I had was in Tallinn.

I'm old grump set in my ways, we have turkey, it's the only time we have turkey and I cook the lot so this year we are having turkey.

By Ger and Pol I meant the best places to order it. Not expensive and quick delivery times.

Portugal have nice ones too but harder to get it online

Just now, Trooper74 said:

Any endangered species is good for us .............. :classic_biggrin:

If you stand in front on an enraged wild boar then you will definitely become an endangered specie :P 

Unfortunately had only one Christmas at home In last 10 years. Usually on the ship is standard food exaggerating  however there is no real home feeling.

prefer some pata  negra followed by fish (sea bream or sea bass ) W ti of red wine 🍷 

• Like 1

A bird in a bird and a whole turkey which I soak for 3 days before cooking so it’s super juicy (and so there’s adequate left overs) plus a large mustard and muscovado coated gammon, at least a kilo of sausage meat stuffing made with plenty of onion and fresh sage, more pigs in blankets than you can shake a stick at- made with full size chipolatas because cocktail sausages simply don’t taste as good, wrapped with quality but extremely thin smoked streaky bacon. 

Then you’ve gotta have bountiful really crispy roast potatoes, brussel sprouts with a pancetta and chestnut butter, honey roast parsnips, buttered mashed swede, savoy cabbage (stir fired with a bit of garlic) dauphinoise potatoes (with a layer of fresh roasted beetroot hidden in the middle), bread sauce made solely with double cream, a sharp cranberry n orange sauce, creamed corn and gravy made well in advance.
Good gravy can only be achieved with decent meat juices and as you want a juicy turkey it’s better to roast the living daylights out of chicken and veg well in advance before slow cooking it for a minimum of eight hours well before the main event to make good gravy. I feel I have missed something 🤔

Starters are always made but by lunch time the decision to skip them means they stay in the fridge. Pudding- traditional Christmas pud (which I dislike immensely) or the more popular cheesecake with a choice of clotted cream, icecream or custard. 
Cheese and biscuits has to be a good ripe Somerset brie, Cropwell bishop Stilton, Blacksticks blue, Godminster cheddar and somehow the much maligned Boursin always sneaks in, had with thin water biscuits, a quince jam and grapes for that 80’s style! None of that gets a look in til Boxing Day as everyone’s horizontal for several hours after wondering if they’ll ever need to eat again and why they don’t have better self control! 😆

This year with reduced numbers I think one of the turkeys will go in the freezer. 
I really love Christmas dinner.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, husoi said:

Since when wild boar are radioactive??

Since Chernobyl 😬

Some of Germany’s wild boar is ok now but some of it is still too radioactive for human consumption. 
They are not the only country to suffer this. 
You’re likely to be buying farmed wild boar, in which case there’s nothing to be concerned about. 

Personally I prefer some red wine sauce, plenty of butter, rosemary, whole seed mustard, a touch of salt and pepper, maybe a jalapeno if I feel like having a hot one ;) 

3 hours ago, husoi said:

By far wild boar.

Unfortunately needs to be ordered from the continent, Poland or Germany seems to be the best ones

In Gloucestershire we're overrun with wild boar. I'm told 700 a year get culled. Tasty stuff but not Christmas.