Christmas has come early....

Gerontious

My dearest mother apparently asked my sister what I might like for Christmas and she suggested a new computer. its  just arrived by DPD... I opened it with some trepidation only to find a 2020 MacBook Air with the new M1 chip. with 3 years insurance.

Happy days are here again. this is much better than using my phone!!!

Ive never owned a laptop before.. so its taking some getting used to.

• Like 8

Nice mum. 
Macs are good. Only thing I’ve found thats worth mentioning is even now there are websites that don’t work well with safari so it’s worth putting another browser on there (eg chrome). Then if something doesn’t seem to be working smoothly you can just switch browser.

Opening your prezzies before Christmas tut tut :classic_biggrin:

36 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Nice mum. 
Macs are good. Only thing I’ve found thats worth mentioning is even now there are websites that don’t work well with safari so it’s worth putting another browser on there (eg chrome). Then if something doesn’t seem to be working smoothly you can just switch browser.

Ive had a Mac Mini as my main home computer since 2011 and Ive never had a problem with Safari, or indeed any problems with it at all. I still get security updates etc despite it being obsolete. It does everything I want of it. I would have expected it to by now be so old that it can't do certain things, I only bought it in the first place because my old PC tower couldn't be updated to something I needed. maybe it was the latest version of Flash? way back when flash was a thing. Youtube stopped working, so that was the excuse I needed to go shopping.  I opened the box as it wasn't gift wrapped and I couldn't resist waiting too see what it was. I was expecting a Chromebook or something like that, I nearly fell off my chair. only problem is the connectors on the side are incompatible with everything, so I've spent the last couple of hours setting it up by hand. just what I need on it day to day. like this forum.

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Nice mum. 

yeah thats bad form :classic_huh:

Enjoy. Nobody has a clue what date Christmas really is anyway. And different parts of the world give gifts on different days. 6th December is St Nicholas day who is the figure behind Santa Claus so many countries give their Christmas gifts then.

Plus....our Christmas cactus is in flower so you're good to go.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

44 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hmm a bit like saying it’s 5 o’clock somewhere before drinking too early 😆

Ohhhhh it's 5 o'clock....

I never understood my mates family as kids they opened presents at midnight.

How the fook santa managed to sneak in with them all sat waiting was beyond me.

Nice present, now put it away till Xmas.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hmm a bit like saying it’s 5 o’clock somewhere before drinking too early 😆

Drinking too early..... please explain this concept. 

I'm with the Doctor on this one. Time is not a linear progression. It's much more wibbly wobbly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does it count if you buy yourself an early Christmas pressie because you know noone else will get it for you? :wave: :lol:

Nice on the MacBook :thumb: It should last a long, long time.

But Santa is gonna spank you when he visits you sleeping.. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by peatear
  • Haha 2

Just slightly back on topic. The MacBooks last (as they rightly should for the money) for yonks. Bought two about 10 years ago and another two about maybe 6/7 years ago and in-spite of having no care taken over them and 2 boisterous boys treating them like they’re indestructible 🙄 theyve never failed.

Some compatibility issues remain, the iMac (that’s the home pc version for those of you not in the apple cult) ended up with boot camp on them so you can switch between iOS and windows as some things simply won’t work on it. My sons school art department uses the all Apple stuff and they had to get windows in the end because the best animation program available isn’t compatible, same with the most widely used music programme.
I understand now Boot camp is automatically installed on all iMacs. The vast majority of stuff now is written to work with iOS  

Great kit though, only downside to them lasting so long is that the two older laptops which are still going strong are heavy and as technology has moved on its the equivalent of carting around Nokia brick 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Drinking too early..... please explain this concept. 

I'm with the Doctor on this one. Time is not a linear progression. It's much more wibbly wobbly.

You fool it's drinking that makes everything wobbly wibbly haha

Had a Mac for a few years and really liked it but for one thing. Sad individual that I am when I'm at sea one of my preferred entertainments is computer games and my Mac just couldn't  cope with some of the then newer games. I passed it on to my daughter and its still in use 10 years on. It was bulletproof as well. Fell out of my backpack onto a concrete jetty and still working.

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Had a Mac for a few years and really liked it but for one thing. Sad individual that I am when I'm at sea one of my preferred entertainments is computer games and my Mac just couldn't  cope with some of the then newer games. I passed it on to my daughter and its still in use 10 years on. It was bulletproof as well. Fell out of my backpack onto a concrete jetty and still working.

Yer they’re not a gaming computer by any stretch. One of my boys is doing creative tech (game writing) at uni and that requires another world of kit. Now all 3 in my house are plugged in to gaming pc’s the consequence of which is large swathes of complete peace and quiet (occasionally punctuated with loud shouting when they die) and the selling of one of the imacs which hold their value so well that even though it was ANCIENT it still went for £300

Win-win!

• Like 1