Jaguar . End of an Era .

fastbob

Can't see us making the really big ones!

They wouldn't fit on our shell machines.

Some of the tractor/digger cranks we already make are quite big!

too heavy for 1 man to lift.

I'll see if I can find out who it is we;re doing the accreditation for, I read an e mail about it the other day

• Like 1

On 15/02/2021 at 19:10, Stu said:

Have you driven any electric vehicles yet? 

I have, all the Teslas-X,S,3, Audi E Tron and Jag iPace.

Teslas had the best tech,performance and range but the worst interior, Audi was fast enough and had a nice interior, Jag was ok but I’d not buy one over the others.

• Like 1

The only EV I've driven was the shitty Pug 106 kept at the Bluewater police station.

I had to take some scrote to Gravesend nick and the battery was pretty much flat by the time I got back.

... That was around 15 years ago though!

2 hours ago, The Hitcher said:

I have, all the Teslas-X,S,3, Audi E Tron and Jag iPace.

Teslas had the best tech,performance and range but the worst interior, Audi was fast enough and had a nice interior, Jag was ok but I’d not buy one over the others.

And how would you rate them to the dino fuel equivalents? 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I think the only electric vehicle I've ever driven got crashed.

It was little two seater with a pole that picked up the current from the ceiling.

Due to work have driven quite a few electric vehicles and the one i enjoyed the most was a Renault Twizzy ... Would i want one hell no but pure basic fun ...

20150422_095849.jpg

20150422_095853.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stu said:

And how would you rate them to the dino fuel equivalents? 

Bit of a tricky one given how expensive they are and what ICE cars you can get for that money, they're quieter and I think as a commuter they would be a nicer place to be compared to some ICE cars, instant torque is great and they're different to drive, acceleration is tremendous in some of them, particularly the Model S P100D, I'd honestly be very worried on my R1 up to legal motorway speeds.

I was doing some agency work and delivering them on a truck, along with some very nice ICE cars so I didn't get to drive most of them that far to make a real world comparison for say a week or anything.

I did drive the Model S and X properly though and the E Tron for a 45minutes-1 hour each and honestly I could live with any of them, sadly they're rather unaffordable for me though!.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 08:27, rennie said:

Can't see us making the really big ones!

They wouldn't fit on our shell machines.

Some of the tractor/digger cranks we already make are quite big!

too heavy for 1 man to lift.

I'll see if I can find out who it is we;re doing the accreditation for, I read an e mail about it the other day

I've found out eventually :classic_biggrin:  We're getting marine accreditation for Caterpillar/Perkins (same company different brands) and John Deere!

We already make crankshafts for both it's only the marine side that's new.

I knew Perkins made boat engines but not the others :scratch:

Do you get any steel from Rotherham Rennie? I'm sure we make stuff for crankshafts and Caterpillar, though whether it's Caterpillar crankshafts I'm not sure. I'm also not sure whether there is anyone at work planning for what to do when nobody wants crankshafts and gearboxes anymore, it's already quite bad that currently nobody wants planes.

15 hours ago, rennie said:

I've found out eventually :classic_biggrin:  We're getting marine accreditation for Caterpillar/Perkins (same company different brands) and John Deere!

We already make crankshafts for both it's only the marine side that's new.

I knew Perkins made boat engines but not the others :scratch:

John Deere is new to me. Caterpillar diesels are quite common as small boat engines and some of the larger ones (1000 KW) are used as gensets.  Ditto Perkins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallfrowne said:

Do you get any steel from Rotherham Rennie? I'm sure we make stuff for crankshafts and Caterpillar, though whether it's Caterpillar crankshafts I'm not sure. I'm also not sure whether there is anyone at work planning for what to do when nobody wants crankshafts and gearboxes anymore, it's already quite bad that currently nobody wants planes.

Ships will keep on going for a while yet. Cheapest way to move large quantities long distances. A number of new ships are being built using LNG as fuel but still basically an ICE. Wind power can't really manage anything bigger than about 10,000 tonnes and electric? Ha Ha.

19 hours ago, rennie said:

I've been onboard the Lochinver Lifeboat which is a Severn class vessel and it had two Caterpillar engines still in their original yellow paint . 

And if you are wondering why my last post has Rennie said at the top of it ask the people who designed this crappy software . I seemingly  can't quote and then change my mind . 

6 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Ships will keep on going for a while yet. Cheapest way to move large quantities long distances. A number of new ships are being built using LNG as fuel but still basically an ICE. Wind power can't really manage anything bigger than about 10,000 tonnes and electric? Ha Ha.

Ah yes ships I forgot about them. Rule Britannia! I think some rolling mills in Scotland are quite keen on HS2 being a thing as well, plenty of bridges to put up.

9 hours ago, smallfrowne said:

I'm not sure! We get it from all over the place! I have very little to do with that side of things, I know if it's got the wrong stuff in it causes us huge problems!

( chrome and aluminium are the chief culprits)

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

And if you are wondering why my last post has Rennie said at the top of it ask the people who designed this crappy software . I seemingly  can't quote and then change my mind . 

:classic_biggrin: Well you've managed to confuse me! :scratch: @Stu?

Just now, rennie said:

:classic_biggrin: Well you've managed to confuse me! :scratch: @Stu?

If you go to quote someone and change your mind you can't clear the quote for some reason 

But a page refresh allows you to clear the editor! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rennie said:

I'm not sure! We get it from all over the place! I have very little to do with that side of things, I know if it's got the wrong stuff in it causes us huge problems!

( chrome and aluminium are the chief culprits)

That can't be us then, nothing but prime metal 

• Like 1