Jaguar . End of an Era .

fastbob

1 minute ago, iangaryprice said:

I'm still having withdrawal symtoms from 2-strokes. Still got a 2-stroke outboard for summer time fixes.

I have 2 British Seagull outboards, it's been so long since I last used them I can't even remember which models they are, one is a long shaft and the other is a short one :thumb:

1 minute ago, dynax said:

I have 2 British Seagull outboards, it's been so long since I last used them I can't even remember which models they are, one is a long shaft and the other is a short one :thumb:

Mine is a bit different to a Seagull. Yamaha V4 130hp 1700cc - pushes my 17ft Fletcher to over 50mph. Gives environmentalists nightmares - about 6mpg is lucky and 2-stroke oil!

• Like 2

On 15/02/2021 at 19:10, Stu said:

Have you driven any electric vehicles yet? 

Lots, all work vans, Renault and Peugeot. They are perfect for the work we do and with the slowing down and stopping, I can do a 34 mile route on 27 miles of electricity. They are not as quiet as you would think, due to road noise, but compared to the diesels they are far more reliable.

I have been a passenger in some Tesla Model 3s and like the vans, they work better in the city and traffic. Lots of range tests are on the motorway, which does not benefit from regeneration. Also, like the vans, they are not as quiet as expected, due to road noise. Even a half decent petrol/diesel car will cruise in virtual silence.

Our problem at home is communal carparking and I contacted my local MSP and there is no plan yet to install chargers. Even a plug in hybrid would be useless for us as most of the time it would have to run off petrol and lug about a heavy battery with no charge in it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I know you can install a Tesla home charger for a fee. But where's all the power going to come from?

Wind farms and solar power stations.

so you can only charge the vehicle on sunny windy days. 🤣

• Like 1

A friend of mine bought a house with 2 fuse boxes, the real one and the one on the other side of the wall that ran most of the house for free, he's extra squeaky clean and insisted he should report it, don't said me, just get the rewire done and they will take it out, nope he reported it, they came straight out and removed the supply from the house, no electric 😁 

Cost him for the re wire, they came out to check re wire and charged him for the inspection, then charged him for taking supply out and putting it back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bender said:

A friend of mine bought a house with 2 fuse boxes, the real one and the one on the other side of the wall that ran most of the house for free, he's extra squeaky clean and insisted he should report it, don't said me, just get the rewire done and they will take it out, nope he reported it, they came straight out and removed the supply from the house, no electric 😁 

Cost him for the re wire, they came out to check re wire and charged him for the inspection, then charged him for taking supply out and putting it back.

And they say honesty pays.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

And they say honesty pays....

sometimes it's cheaper to not be.

Thing that really annoyed him was that no one was interested in the previous owner, he only had the house a week,  like he was going to fiddle electric then report it in a week, no recourse against guy who originally checked the house either as he just said it needed a re wire and he stopped looking soon as he came to that conclusion.

• Sad 1

On 16/02/2021 at 19:44, iangaryprice said:

Mine is a bit different to a Seagull. Yamaha V4 130hp 1700cc - pushes my 17ft Fletcher to over 50mph. Gives environmentalists nightmares - about 6mpg is lucky and 2-stroke oil!

My little Thomatsu 3.5hp has taken allot of abuse spent afew years pushing a 24' boat, I was working it out its a fair age now day.  Biggest issue is tank range 1 hour or put in practicable terms, enough to push a 24' boat passed the pier into Yarmouth harbour. However its not enough to push it out passed the pier with a strong flood running, having put sails up sharp a couple of times I learned to refuel fuel every visit 😕 

MIsses bought me a seagull for £15 never used it. when she brought it home I gave it a quick pull to see if it was seized, bloody thing fired first pull.   Convinced its a Chinese copy seagulls don't start first pull :angel12:

• Like 1

When we had a boat I was discussing Seagull outboards with someone and we came to the conclusion they were really good emergency anchors but effing useless as engines. Really liked my Honda outboard on the dinghy. Started first time every time.

As far as I'm aware we've never made marine crankshafts, you need different accreditation than automotive,

but we are now in the process of getting marine accreditation for somebody. I'll try to find out more.

We will still be making a few automotive cranks for a good while apparently

and the ones for tractors etc. and JCB/Caterpillar are still selling well