Who builds the best bike?

Throttled

A test, by youtuber Fortnine, whereby first change oil from brand new bikes were sent for analysis to find out which bike is built to the best tolerances and in the cleanest conditions.

The flaw in the test is that the sample size was tiny. One maker produced results so bad, it broke the machine used to analyse the oil. The winner was....unexpected.

Edited by Throttled
  • Like 4

The flaw in a tiny sample means you're looking at a small number (possibly one) of each brand. Given that it is volunteers who sent oil in there's no indication that the bikes concerned were all at the same mileage or had been ridden according to the manufacturer's break in procedure.

I'm not sure modern engines need breaking in much to be honest but it highlights the unreliability of so small a sample.

I’m not sure why this matters. People who buy new bikes these days don’t tend to keep them for more than a few years. Some, perhaps a majority don’t even keep them long enough to change the spark plugs. I know, because I see it all the time, bikes that have had their first service and then nothing but annuals before the bike is either handed back or traded in. Is engine failure common to any manufacturer? Is the more important question. So, some bikes produce more particulates than others. Is this a big deal in the real world? Probably not. Of all the major parts that can go badly wrong I would suggest that for the majors, engine failure is at the very bottom of the list.

• Like 3

Agree with @Gerontious. I hear of bad forks, shock, rims, paint, seat, fasteners, clutch, gearbox etc etc. But the worst complaint about any bike engine I've heard is that it's soulless.  

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1

Not fair to put Harley Davidson near the bottom because they are built to larger tolerances and consequently run on 20 / 50 mineral based oil in the engine and have separate oil in the primary drive and gearbox . They are also slower revving and have a roller bearing crank as well as pushrod operated valves . All of this accounts for Harley Davidsons , including Sportsters , being able to clock up enormous mileages with only the minimum of maintenance . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fastbob said:

Not fair to put Harley Davidson near the bottom because they are built to larger tolerances and consequently run on 20 / 50 mineral based oil in the engine and have separate oil in the primary drive and gearbox . They are also slower revving and have a roller bearing crank as well as pushrod operated valves . All of this accounts for Harley Davidsons , including Sportsters , being able to clock up enormous mileages with only the minimum of maintenance . 

You mean they are built like tractors?

What I get from the video is that all of the engines will work for years, with the exception of the Chinese brand Yin Xiang and that Royal Enfield has seriously upped their game.