Cbt! Is it enough?

Stu

15 hours ago, NeilM said:

We were talking about this the other day.

I, and like many on here probably got their first bike and just rode off into the distance. No CBT. Nowt.

I'm not saying the pre CBT generation all became fantastic riders but it did make you learn quick....

I think the phrase is "the quick and the dead".

9 hours ago, bonio said:

Yes, but in Germany at least, you can only ride your 125 after taking a couple of days (9 "double periods") of additional training. https://www.motorradonline.de/125er/. Sounds like a CBT on steroids.
Added to that, you have to be at least 25 years old and have had your full car licence for at least 5 years.
I think our system is better! 

No because if you read back to one of my earlier posts, I said it would be better if the school/instructor could sign you off for the A1 licence, which still makes my previous post a valid argument.

Allowing car drivers to ride 125's after a more in depth type of CBT, the school/ instructor can then sign them off for their A1 licence, job sorted.

The only difference is that with the other countries barring Germany you don't have form of formal training, which is stupid at best, I wouldn't suggest anyone riding without some training.

I was a rubbish driver after my CBT and even ditched my bike after about a week but 6 months later I feel much more competent.the problem with changing the CBT is that maybe it'll put people off bothering and surely we don't want to put people off biking we want more getting on 2 wheels.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackholesun said:

I was a rubbish driver after my CBT and even ditched my bike after about a week but 6 months later I feel much more competent.the problem with changing the CBT is that maybe it'll put people off bothering and surely we don't want to put people off biking we want more getting on 2 wheels.

I want something in between really - something that doesn't put people off BUT does keep them safe.

Those KSIs for kids does it for me and clinches any other argument. I know some will always have a certain attitude, will perform as they need to during the training then just carry on 'as normal' but for all the other 16/17 year olds with zero road experience I desperately want them to have more training to give them the best chance. Funnily enough I wonder how many ditch it anyway after a terrible first few rides after only being on the road for a few hours on the CBT.

Further how many parents tell their kids they're not learning to ride because of 'the danger' and the lack of in-depth tuition?

I do think the A2/A1 expense and faff is a bigger turn off longer term. I'm not sure a theory test and two days training for a CBT would cause a cataclysmic drop off in CBT attendance. 

CBT may not be enough for some .. But why is it that anyone over 21 who has held a licence for 3 years can teach someone to drive a car! Yet to teach someone to ride a motorcycle you must be a qualified intructor? 

8 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

CBT may not be enough for some .. But why is it that anyone over 21 who has held a licence for 3 years can teach someone to drive a car! Yet to teach someone to ride a motorcycle you must be a qualified intructor? 

Makes perfect logical sense to the numpty that came up with the idea

On 23/04/2021 at 18:27, KiwiBob said:

Or for that matter, how is it that anyone can take a CBT which gives you 2 hours experience of riding on the road, and go out and ride a 125 unaccompanied, yet to drive a car on L plates you must have a qualified driver in the front passenger seat with you at all times, no matter how many hours of instruction or driving you've got under your belt? 😜

Well, put it this way, I managed to crash through a barrier on my cbt and still pass 😆

I don't think it is sufficient, I reckon it should be at least a 2-day course with proper pass/fail conditions, including an emergency stop.

On the subject of 'professional' food delivery riders, I did deliveroo for several years, think I was one of 3 with a full license out of dozens of riders. As said before there is no incentive to go beyond your cbt if you only want to ride a 125, just extra cost.

The KSI statictics list age but not experience or qualifications so they are not really relavent here.  I too come from a time when a licenced car driver could ride a 125 with no other training.  Its better now.  At least there is training.  The whole method of transitioning from CBT to full licence is flawed.  

The fundimental thing is that regardless of training some riders are just better than others.  Some riders get drunk on power.  So are just not natural riders and the difference in outcome between "good" and "just bearly" is far more pronounced on a bike than a car.  Why else would it be possible to pass a test on a Corsa and jump behind the wheel of a Masaratti?

Not sure I'm 100% right, but I think the CBT was meant to fix the problem of someone sticking some L plates on a bike, hopping on and ending up as a KSI statistic, simply through lack of awareness of the dangers. I believe, though, it's introduced a new problem: people pass their CBT and reckon they're now qualified to ride, so why bother doing any more? Especially now the test is so complicated (and schools are expensive).