Cbt! Is it enough?

Stu

22 minutes ago, rightstuff said:

imo if you've drove a car for a pre determine time you should be able to drive a bike up to 400cc with no l plates anything bigger then a test  I think the cbt is good enough people  should take their own responsibility 

Interesting idea. In most of America I believe you do not have to take any kind of test to ride a motorcycle and as you said the government says its up to the public if they want to do it and take responsibility for themselves. I think this is fine to a degree if you come off a road and hit a tree then that's on you but when it comes to a third party getting injured or killed due to your lack of skill / training it's a diff6 matter . Training and testing in UK is to keep other road users safe not just the rider. 

Also on that note I only found out the other day that the US has no kind of MOT system at all.

Edited by Spongefinger

The way I see it you have 2 basic types of people, those with some experience and those with none, and as the CBT is basic training it does meet the criteria for those with some experience to a degree.

For those with zero experience it should be much more in depth and designed around them.

Then you have the problem with renewals, when you first complete a CBT you are at a very basic level, after 2 years you have ( hopefully ) gained extra knowledge and road craft to which a renewel CBT is a waste of time, a better option would be for instructors and schools to be able to offer signing off on an A1 category Licence.

This would mean a slightly more advanced version to the CBT which could be completed in one day and then you have a full A1 licence.

Going down this route would still allow people to do DAS, but it would cut out having to do renewels over and over again for those people that are happy to stay on a 125.

Edited by dynax
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, dynax said:

The way I see it you have 2 basic types of people, those with some experience and those with none, and as the CBT is basic training it does meet the criteria for those with some experience to a degree.

For those with zero experience it should be much more in depth and designed around them.

Then you have the problem with renewals, when you first complete a CBT you are at a very basic level, after 2 years you have ( hopefully ) gained extra knowledge and road craft to which a renewel CBT is a waste of time, a better option would be for instructors and schools to be able to offer signing off on an A1 category Licence.

This would mean a slightly more advanced version to the CBT which could be completed in one day and then you have a full A1 licence.

Going down this route would still allow people to do DAS, but it would cut out having to do renewels over and over again for those people that don't want to ride anything bigger.

I totally agree. When I did my mod one the two other people with me were a 48 year old Italian woman and a polish guy in his late 20's they had both been riding for years and they pissed their mod 1 they just got fed up having to pony up the equivalent 60-70 quid a year and go through the agro of a full day cbt every 2 years to learn nothing but just to keep CBT. 

The CBT followed by an unlimited amount of time (in 2 year chunks) on L plates should have been ditched years ago.  We are, or rather were, unique in the EU with such an arrangement.

rest of the EU, the CBT is merely a precursor to allow on the road lessons followed by the test.

9 hours ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

Some of these graphs are sobering viewing

1.png.8891223518efbeffcc8969660f2d812e.png

2.thumb.png.9728948af7e9062a737e17df09b99e8a.png

Young male riders make up 2% of the total distance travelled, but 16% of KSI stats, females similar numbers:

3.thumb.png.1d54c7d916d5486b99f76f79523f7b17.png

Full document here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447673/motorcyclist-casualties-2013-data.pdf

There seems to be an upswing in KSI in 49s and 50s too. Mid life crisis, buy a big bike, come out the losing end of a collision. 

34 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

There seems to be an upswing in KSI in 49s and 50s too. Mid life crisis, buy a big bike, come out the losing end of a collision. 

Yay only a month until I'm 51 chances of an accident only go down from then 🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gerontious said:

In rest of the EU, the CBT is merely a precursor to allow on the road lessons followed by the test.

CBT is treated by a lot of 125 and scoot riders as the standard they need to pass in order to ride. I'd prefer to see much greater restriction on what you can do after a CBT - for example, require renewal after 2 or 3 months - to funnel people more effectively towards taking the full test.

• Like 1

We were talking about this the other day.

I, and like many on here probably got their first bike and just rode off into the distance. No CBT. Nowt.

I'm not saying the pre CBT generation all became fantastic riders but it did make you learn quick....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NeilM said:

We were talking about this the other day.

I, and like many on here probably got their first bike and just rode off into the distance. No CBT. Nowt.

I'm not saying the pre CBT generation all became fantastic riders but it did make you learn quick....

I do think it has an element of the " cotton wool syndrome" and the people making these decisions have to some degree been wrapped up.

1 minute ago, Bender said:

Roads are way more crowded now and the standard and tolerance levels are appalling.

I think the worst is driver attitudes especially to Learners, and what they seem to forget is that a good proportion of these learners are experienced car drivers :lol:

18 minutes ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

Potential survivorship bias there @NeilM😆

You may be right...

And I assume many of us had been brought up around bikes and had had some experience prior to attempting to emulate Barry Sheene with not an ounce of training under our belts...lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dynax said:

I think the worst is driver attitudes especially to Learners, and what they seem to forget is that a good proportion of these learners are experienced car drivers :lol:

I had no such issues with l plates on, had plenty since 😁 

1 minute ago, NeilM said:

You may be right...

And I assume many of us had been brought up around bikes and had had some experience prior to attempting to emulate Barry Sheene with not an ounce of training under our belts...lol

It come from an era where climbing trees and falling out of them was a normal part of childhood.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bender said:

I had no such issues with l plates on, had plenty since 😁 

I have had a few nobs tailgating but once they see me when I flip up my lid they soon back off when they realise i'm not some spotty teenager :lol:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, daveinlim said:

Mid-life crisis you say.... nope just refusing to use public transport until this covid rubbish has got to a sensible level. I have to travel to various parts of central London as well as other locations, but for those I can use the car. I was reluctant to get on two wheels as I've been known to have a heavy right foot on the odd occasion. So far since June when I did my CBT I have enjoyed my time on a bike, yes I've had my moments but overall I'm still upright and breathing.

Fish

• Like 3

I think if CBT was not enough people would not be insured following only a CBT. There is plenty of actuarial evidence that people take CBTs and are able to ride adequately. 
not necessarily well but adequately. 
that said our system seems weird to me. 

1 hour ago, dynax said:

It's about time time we adopted the same as some of the other EU countries like Italy,France,Belgium,Germany and Austria to allow full car licence holders to ride up to 125cc.

https://www.alphamct.co.uk/can-you-ride-in-europe-on-a-provisional-licence-with-a-cbt/

Yes, but in Germany at least, you can only ride your 125 after taking a couple of days (9 "double periods") of additional training. https://www.motorradonline.de/125er/. Sounds like a CBT on steroids.
Added to that, you have to be at least 25 years old and have had your full car licence for at least 5 years.
I think our system is better! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fish said:

Mid-life crisis you say.... nope just refusing to use public transport until this covid rubbish has got to a sensible level. I have to travel to various parts of central London as well as other locations, but for those I can use the car. I was reluctant to get on two wheels as I've been known to have a heavy right foot on the odd occasion. So far since June when I did my CBT I have enjoyed my time on a bike, yes I've had my moments but overall I'm still upright and breathing.

Fish

My reason for being on two wheels is pretty much the same. Pre covid I got solick of travelling in to central London and being stuck on stinking buses and tubes. There was a few weeks in a row where the lines kept going down and it took forever to get home so I went and did my CBT. I've several years driving under my belt so it was just a case of picking up new coordination.