Breakdown cover

We've had AA cover for years, only used them once when the car's coilpack failed. The reason I went to the AA many years ago was that they cover the member rather than the vehicle. Previously we were with Green Flag because they covered the one car we had. When we had two cars and two bikes the AA cover worked better.

But it's just gone up over £50 so I'm looking round. Needs to cover both of us in either car and me on either bike. Breakdown and recovery, no real need for home cover. 

Any suggestions?

I always have it as part of the insurance. even if separate I realised that becomes cheaper like that.

The car have a dealer breakdown cover

The Pan have European breakdown while shadow is UK only.

Tried to get a deal on both and was far too expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dynax said:

Check your bank account as some provide breakdown cover also credit cards they too some times have certain benefits attached to them :thumb:

My bank account is from when I was 18 - things like breakdown cover on bank accounts weren't even thought of then. 😂

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, onesea said:

I have rescuemycar.com

various levels available we have joint cover any vehicle.

Some restrictions but cheap if we need it.

They are cheap - same cover as the AA is just under half the price. They won't quote beyond the end of July at the moment and my current contract runs out mid-August but if I leave it a few weeks it should work.

After a few weeks when you cancel you can re join aa as new customer, use cash back site, get cover for way less than using aa direct. 

I like aa, lots have limits on van sizes, I called them out with a lwb twin wheel transit and a trailer, AA guy turned up and said that's not happening, he just rang a commercial recovery and chatted till they turned up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

gem :thumb:

Blimey - they are looking good. Just over half the price for better cover, and they'll arrange cover to start up to 2 months in advance. 

Sorted. The clincher was their website can actually get my title right. A small courtesy but if they're willing to make the effort I appreciate it.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Blimey - they are looking good. Just over half the price for better cover, and they'll arrange cover to start up to 2 months in advance. 

Sorted. The clincher was their website can actually get my title right. A small courtesy but if they're willing to make the effort I appreciate it.

🤣 It's making me wonder if you have a secret title that we don't know about.

Don't accept the AA putting up your premium, I have the same thing every year.

Tell them you are going to join the RAC as they do introductory offers, I've done this several times and the AA always do it for the same price as a new member.

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

been with them a few years now :thumb:

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

Ever used them? 

yeh couple of times , not for bike for cars,  covered for any vehicle including bikes.

they use a garage of breakdown service near to your location , good service both times .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Six30 said:

yeh couple of times , not for bike for cars,  covered for any vehicle including bikes.

they use a garage of breakdown service near to your location , good service both times .

I may swap to them when my insurance one runs out 

I am pretty sure that I have been with them before 

Just now, Stu said:

I may swap to them when my insurance one runs out 

I am pretty sure that I have been with them before 

price wise they always seem cheapest for the cover you get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Six30 said:

price wise they always seem cheapest for the cover you get.

I get a cracking deal with bennetts in that I get EU breakdown leather and helmet cover legal cover and personal accident cover for £60 but obviously it doesn't cover the cars! 

Thanks @Six30 I have arranged cover for Carol and myself which will start 31st Aug 10 days before insurance runs out and when you consider 3 bikes and 2 cars between us less than £120 is very good value.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'm not saying I'm a miser - but I've just noticed my wallet still has a slot for £1 notes.

your a miser if there is still some £1 notes in the £1 notes slot.

• Haha 2