Change a spring without removing the forks?

Pbassred

I have bog standard right-side up forks. Assuming I can get the oil level correct.... Is it possible without launching a missile?  The back ground is that I bought what should have been the correct spring for my bike/weight.  I had my local bike garage put them in so I didn't look at them.  They are far too stiff.  I can't set the static sag even with the preload wound right out.  I want to look at them to see if I have the right springs, but without the faff of taking everything apart if I can avoid it.

Yes but you need to support the bike really well and have the ability to raise the front wheel off the ground  or at least remove all compression off the front forks and it still be stable  ... Do 1 fork at a time stops the whole lot bottoming out .

Depending on fork end cap type  have a heavy cloth /towel over the top of the fork on final moment of cap removal .

And lots of rags ready to wipe lots of oil ....

If working on the forks I will be changing the oil for sure.

Wouldn't cross my mind to do it without dismantling everything, cleaning it thoroughly and assemble it all together again.

And no, I'm not OCD :P

I don’t see why not but i would loosen the top yoke nuts, I understand the compression from the can make caps tighter…
Also have front wheel just off the ground to mimimise tension on springs. 

Make a note of how much preload you have on and then take it to max soft. 
The cap shouldn’t ping off when you you undo it. As long as your front wheel is off the floor. 

If it was me I’d take them off the bike and change the oil at the same time as has been said 

If it was me I’d take them off the bike and change the oil at the same time as has been said 

You didn't read the original post.  I had the spring installed at my mechanic.  He did the oil change.  This was about just swapping springs.

That being said.  This has escalated and needs a different post .........

• 5 weeks later...