City of London Speed limit

manxie49

Interesting, but that said, the last time I rode through the centre of London I don't think I got the bike out of 1st gear .... Still glad I don't live in that city though! 

https://advrider.com/city-of-london-considering-15-mph-speed-limit/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=10_11_2021&fbclid=IwAR2VEHFmhN8Eiihw7Y86JT-KDloeVyM4WXsjE6K7lXVZnTh1JjuAJJ6ERQY

Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.18.39.png

Edited by manxie49
spelling

Look what's happened with all the stupid cycle lane and street narrowing they did under emergency plans over Covid. Caused more congestion and pollution, what a right pigs ear of an idea that was. They are now reversing some of the changes, so more money wasted 

If Ghengis Khan wants to cut down on deaths in the capital he needs to start doing something about knife and gun crime, instead of side stepping the issues. all this IMO is just another example of the populous suffering for someone else's vanity....Like I said, I avoid that part of the world if I can now,  Middlesex is as close as I ever get,  and that's enough.

22 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Speed limits don't apply to pedal cycles, only things with engines. 

15.5 is the speed limit for electric assist on a pushbike so some limit applies 😂 

I passed one yesterday, no pedal action the bloody thing was doing 30 at least,  he caught up and passed me on the left at a roundabout albeit he was pedaling but the electric assist was so much he might as well been on a scooter, I was doing 40 before catching him again. 

@Mississippi Bullfrog a bit of Google

Richmond Park has  20mph limit for cycling,  so no reason Mr khant can't 😁 

,it is possible for local authorities to impose speed limits on cyclists but this is rarely done. The local council would have to state specifically the limit and the penalty for breaching that limit.

Most of central London is already 20 and when you're not stuck in the gridlock due to all the under-used cycle lanes taking up valuable road space, you'll find that no one keeps to the 20mph limit. Not even the police follow it! 

They killed the city some time ago by making the Bank junction no go for anything other than pedestrians, cyclists or buses due to the ignorant few who decided to jump traffic lights and get themselves either seriously hurt or killed. And those who haven't been hurt or killed are still jumping the lights. Once in a blue moon the police decide to watch and pull them over and give them a stern talking too.... 😂 Which they don't care about.

It amazes me why anyone would want to drive around Londinium :scratch:

Only been to the big city a couple of times, Once walked into one of those green wooden cabins, where cabbies go for breakfast - best bacon butty I have ever had. 😆

Go to London a few times a year but only on the train. Bought my current bike from a London dealer in Vauxhall just next to the big building with all the spies in. Riding it home was a challenge for me as until then the only time I'd driven in London was 0200 in morning. 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

15.5 is the speed limit for electric assist on a pushbike so some limit applies 😂 

I passed one yesterday, no pedal action the bloody thing was doing 30 at least,  he caught up and passed me on the left at a roundabout albeit he was pedaling but the electric assist was so much he might as well been on a scooter, I was doing 40 before catching him again. 

@Mississippi Bullfrog a bit of Google

Richmond Park has  20mph limit for cycling,  so no reason Mr khant can't 😁 

,it is possible for local authorities to impose speed limits on cyclists but this is rarely done. The local council would have to state specifically the limit and the penalty for breaching that limit.

The limit for electric bikes doesn't apply to pedal bikes, IE those without any form of motor. Any local speed limit is notional and non-enforcable. You can't be prosecuted for riding a pedal bike solely on grounds of speed.

16 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The limit for electric bikes doesn't apply to pedal bikes, IE those without any form of motor. Any local speed limit is notional and non-enforcable. You can't be prosecuted for riding a pedal bike solely on grounds of speed.

Have to stick with the wanton and furious cycling' then 😁 

Or in the case of electric assist, relaxed furious cycling. 

10 hours ago, Bender said:

Have to stick with the wanton and furious cycling' then 😁 

Or in the case of electric assist, relaxed furious cycling. 

That's about it. A mate got caught cycling whilst drunk ( normal pedal bike) and whilst he was by no means going fast the charge was riding furiously on the highway. 

• Haha 1

@TimR It's just sloppy journalism. Someone googled 15 mph on images, and nabbed the first one that came up. Either they didn't bother to notice that it was a US sign, or they didn't care.

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Sloppy journalism? Who would ever have thought such a thing could be.? Sadly seems to becoming the rule rather than the exception.

Grammar and spelling are consistent though, consistently bad, coming from me that's saying something 😂 

• Haha 1

I've finally read the article. Like @manxie49 says in the title, it applies only to the City, in other words to just 1 of the 607 square miles that London covers. 

• Like 2