The future's bright!!

Stu

7 minutes ago, Bender said:

Just the worst part of winter to go 😁 but it is on the way. 

Its this period that I spent tinkering with the bike :lol: 

Log burner on saving gas on on the central heating while I am in the garage :lol: 🔥

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well Lighter nights thats for sure! 

Shortest day of the year today so the nights will start to pull out and will soon be spring :D

With any luck I'll be back to sea at the end of January then home in June for the summer! 

• Like 3

Just now, Bender said:

With your record I would be saying nowt 😂, you may be back for Halloween if your lucky....... 

Hope not. 

Too true. All depends on the plague, where I go and how the various governments of the world are panicking at the time. With luck I'll be somewhere with a decent climate but with my luck it'll probably be Murmansk or some other frozen wasteland. Actually I know where I'll be in April. Covid Central aka China as we have to dry dock there no later than May.

• Sad 2

I love the 21st for this reason as well!

Although I spend the first half of the year loving the longer days coming in, and then once June 21st passes I actually feel a little dread. Even though you still have 4 months of good light levels, by the end of July when you first notice it isn't staying as bright in the evenings anymore, a little part of me is like:

kawmp4sCUwnmheEvsxLbcTCMvZB93zc-HBMOynVH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

@Fozzie Calm down! none of us need that kind of negativity in our lives :lol: 

I like to say negative people are positive people with experience, but I'm probably just making excuses :lol:

It never used to bother me, then I did a few years riding through winter, and the memories of the sideways rain, sleet, and gear that never seems to dry before you have to wear it again have stuck with me even though I'm fair weather now. I like riding in the dark, especially those rideouts when it transitions from a warm bright evening to night, but it's the weather those shorter days bring that kills it for me.

• Like 1

Riding back to Barnard Castle from Morpeth yesterday evening in the pitch dark made me realise how very poor my bikes headlights are - candle in a jam jar springs to mind. Certainly made me take the interesting twisty bits a bit slower than I do in daylight .

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Riding back to Barnard Castle from Morpeth yesterday evening in the pitch dark made me realise how very poor my bikes headlights are - candle in a jam jar springs to mind. Certainly made me take the interesting twisty bits a bit slower than I do in daylight .

My VFR and ST1100 had good lights, I thought. Then I bought a Triumph Tiger 1050SE… I swear the headlight on that made it darker. Bloody useless. 

Then I bought a FJR1300 which had even better lights than the Viffer or Pan. I haven’t ridden the GS in the dark often enough to make a judgement on how good the lights are. 

6 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

The headlight on the K11 not much better on low beam with slight improvement on full. Mounted a pair of LED spots onto crash bars and hey ho massive improvement, can actually see the road ahead. Standard tail & brake light not much better either so fitted LED bulb in each along with high level brake light on top case, again massive improvement so at least reduced chance of getting rear ended😲 But given standard of some of the driving over here its more like a wing and a prayer at times

Love riding in the dark .... often when riding on a moonlight night I will switch off the lights and just ride along by the light of the moon .... 

Love being in the dark .. always volunteered for night shift when on Armed Guard ... Crawler Patrols at night where a good place for me to be ..

Day after Boxing day seems to be the day for events ... we’re off flying on the 27th and a cycling 100km thing on the 28th ...

A motorbike ride out over the Christmas period would be great ...

1 minute ago, MikeHorton said:

The cornering lights on the AT make it a breeze on the country lanes on my way to and from work hardly need the main beam. 

Yeah. The lights on the Katoom are ace, I first thought the cornering lights were a gimmick, but boy, they do make a big difference and light up the road well.  

• Like 1

On the multistrada forum there's various discussions about upgrading the lighting. May go down that route when I'm next home. Don't usually ride much at night but recent events have had me out quite a lot at night and it's either a case of mounting auxiliary lights on crash bars or upgrade main lights.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

On the multistrada forum there's various discussions about upgrading the lighting. May go down that route when I'm next home. Don't usually ride much at night but recent events have had me out quite a lot at night and it's either a case of mounting auxiliary lights on crash bars or upgrade main lights.

I thought about getting some Denali D4 Lights, but the Stock Headlight on the KTM is good enough for now. I would imagine fitting auxiliary lights would be a good option, rather than changing the headlight