Stop using the rear brake!

Pbassred

Filtering time and the traffic on the dual carriagway was creaping when I joined from the slip road.  I threaded my way across lane 1 and stopped short of the centerline.  I couldn't see anything comming so I eased myself out onto the dotted. As I did that a Harley came past and positioned him self in the middle of lane 2 just infron of me.  I hung back so he could pull in in front of me, but he carried on in the clear space. This is all happening at less than 20 MPH I stil in first gear.  The car in front of him slows to a stop, he rides into it and falls over. Such a small impact that the car doesn't even notice!

I put the hazzards on and stop the traffic. I helped him pick hs bike pick his bike up and he says: "I didn't see you". Light coloured bike, bright yellow helmet, extra tail lights and LEDs shinning sideways and he didn't see me?  Even so he has positioned in the center lane  nice and stable and Still hits the car. There is no fork dive. its like he didn't even try. If he braked at all it must have be all rear.

What's the mindset with the cruiser riders? I see this cool arogance in my daily riding and in Dan Dan's crash videos.  Is it a freedon from skill thing?  A freedom from basic paying attention? Do they sit in their comfy arm chairs and watch the world go by?  I dispair.

Riding into the back of cars is avoidable and so not cool! 

either will be wrong isn't?

I use the rear brake during slow speed manoeuvring and together with front brake when I need to come to halt.

The ST1300 will apply the rear brake regardless so I can't stop using it.

Using exclusively the rear brake isn't the best idea in my opinion unless as above while slow speed riding. :thumb:

• Like 1

My bike has a brake system that automatically links brakes to a degree. However the rear brake is a bitch to use because of the positioning of the lever relative to the foot peg. Virtually the only time I use it deliberately is on a hill start. I am on my second set of front pads but still have originals on the rear.

Use of the rear brake for slow speed manoeuvring is taught as part of the advanced rider training.  I did a course in slow manoeuvring skills and it was all rear brake unless you wanted to come to a complete stop.  Use of the rear brake while manoeuvring sits the rear end of the bike down and makes it a more settled ride.

Edited by manxie49
  • Like 1

Just now, Fiddlesticks said:

I recall the trainer on my CBT course had a knackered lower leg. He did all his slow speed stuff using just clutch control.

Is this a cautionary tale? Or he just couldn't use the rear brake?

Does the title mean, 'Bring your motorcycle to a halt by application of the rear brake'

OK Mr Bullfrog what I should have written was; "stop relying on ONLY the rear brake".  Obviously for slow speed manuvers, rear is best, but emergency stops cant be a lazy action.

The suspense is killing me

You should get a suspense upgrade.

• Haha 2

Still to understand what does an idiot Harley rider have to do with rear brakes.... 🙄

We all know they are even worst than beemer riders 🤣

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, husoi said:

beemer riders 🤣

Oy. I resemble that remark.

Rear brake. A great aid to slow speed manoeuvring and for minor  adjustment to speeds generally. Useful, too, for showing a brake light as information to a following vehicle that you’re slowing down, primarily using engine braking. 

Honda linked brakes. In my experience the harder you brake using the front brake, the less force is applied to the rear by the linking. It is possible to slide the front tyre forward by braking hard using the front brake and driving the bike forward with the engine in first gear. I did it as part of the Martin Hopp advanced machine skills course - do not try this at home 😂  Using the rear brake will apply force to the front though not really as efficient as applying the front brake it will bring you to a halt reasonably well - yes, I experimented to see how effective it is. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Still to understand what does an idiot Harley rider have to do with rear brakes.... 🙄

We all know they are even worst than beemer riders 🤣

Errrr No!! I have no issue with working my brakes .... It's indicators I have an issue with! 🤣

• Haha 1

Indicators don`t get me started !

Is it only BMW and Harley that have insane indicator switching?

I know my Harley is stoneage but the switchgear and indicators in particular are diabolical.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Rear brake use depends on the Harley . Mine has twin front discs so in 16,000 miles I don't think I've used the rear brake more than a handful of times . I ride it in the same way that I ride any other bike . 

Edited by fastbob

On 24/02/2022 at 13:56, Joe85 said:

Is this a cautionary tale? Or he just couldn't use the rear brake?

Physically unable to (or at least not comfortably). Not a motorcycle injury.