New PM

Stu

3 hours ago, Bender said:

It got to this point because Labour were unelectable. 

Corbyn, yes. He made many life long labour voters who lived through the 70s all shout out "not again". Keir is much more technical, and centre left, but he doesn't fly his colours or show us his principles. Too much of a lawyer, and doesn't give punchy soundbites that reverb with people. I thought Johnson was more the devil you knew, and he certainly talked a good talk about hospitals, environment etc. And generally, when a left/right wing leader borrows good bits from the other wing, you can get a good result. 

Keir did a good interview at the weekend, and he's actually laying out what he would do... Being an opposition, finally!

And where are the lib dems at the moment? Back in 2010 I gave my vote to Clegg as I thought he'd balance out Cameron, and instead went back on every promise he made. That party further fell into irrelevance when it claimed it would reverse brexit, but even so, there's been a huge amount of political capital up for grabs lately due to the tories handling. I like to have a third choice as I don't like 2 party politics, you end up going tribal like America has.

• Like 3

It's a mess all round. I admit I couldn't vote for Labour last time round I couldn't vote for corbyn and Abbott and still think what would it have been like if they did get in with his views on Russia. When a PM bows out is should go back to another election the tory party were able to pick their own cabinet and leader that's not right. Politics is broken im afraid 

12 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

When a PM bows out is should go back to another election the tory party were able to pick their own cabinet and leader that's not right. Politics is broken im afraid 

But in Britain we vote for the party, not the person.

Edited by Yorky

23 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Do we?

If that's the case why are so many people talking about Corbyn? and at the time everyone talking about Johnson.

general elections are strange things..  the last one was an aberration, but mostly the election is decided by a very small number of voters in a very small number of constituencies and the result is always a minority government. where the minority winner gets 100% of the power.

in the last election the Tories got a huge majority from only 43% of the vote... so 56% of the voters did not support the winning party. this is democracy at its most perverse.

Were tory voters thinking of the constituency MP in (especially) those red wall towns and villages?  no.. I think not, they were only thinking about Johnson. Tory = Johnson.

49 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

This is democracy at its most perverse.

That might be perverse, but nowhere close to what happened in the 2015 general election:

SNP:         1,454,436 votes.    56 seats

Lib Dems: 2,415,916 votes.      8 seats

In what way of thinking does this represent "the will of the people"? But when we were all given the option of what system we wanted, back in 2011, this is the one we voted for. Only got ourselves to blame.

Edited by bonio

6 hours ago, Yorky said:

Therein lies a massive problem because in reality our system is designed for us to vote for a local person as opposed the the American presidential system. 

In both our last electoral wards we have lived in areas where most people are traditionally Conservative, but the local Labour MPs have been doing a cracking job and so got re-elected. 

Our last place had always been a safe Conservative seat until we had an absolute eejit as our MP who was bone idle and incompetent. When a local guy stood for Labour and was elected by a tiny margin he then worked his socks off and won a lot of respect. At the next election he held the seat with a huge majority.

So when it works we vote for a local person rather than a party. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I get the feeling that as she eats her cornflakes this morning she might be wishing Sunak had won. 

Will they be gold leaf cornflakes sprinkled with magic fairy dust. 

I wonder how many wish they had just stuck with Boris. 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2022 at 21:05, MikeHorton said:

It's a mess all round. I admit I couldn't vote for Labour last time round I couldn't vote for corbyn and Abbott and still think what would it have been like if they did get in with his views on Russia. When a PM bows out is should go back to another election the tory party were able to pick their own cabinet and leader that's not right. Politics is broken im afraid 

Same happened with Blair Brown.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 21:25, Tiggie said:

Thought I'd get in early :lol:

burn the witch halloween GIF

to be honest the only politician I've ever felt like voting for was Obama and obviously I couldn't do that :lol:

I quite like Zelenskyy as well. Think it's just British  politicians I can't stand!!

Re-reading this from the start, it seems @Tiggiegot it right.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Re-reading this from the start, it seems @Tiggiegot it right.

That we should vote for volodymyr ZELENSKYY? As surely no one would condone acts of violence against a member of Parliament, you have to follow due process Ffs. 

As far as I can remember the test for witches is do they float or not. 

17 minutes ago, Bender said:

That we should vote for volodymyr ZELENSKYY? As surely no one would condone acts of violence against a member of Parliament, you have to follow due process Ffs. 

As far as I can remember the test for witches is do they float or not. 

No, I meant he got it right about the public reaction. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/09/2022 at 15:25, Gerontious said:

in normal times yes. These are not normal times and this is not a normal leader of the Tory party. I doubt she’s even thinking of this time next year, let alone 48 months from now.

They'll boot her out before then. She’s nothing more than a stop-gap. I wonder how long it will be before she realises.

The clever thing would be to remove any threat from Bojo. end his career as an MP.

She’s not clever.

And this years award for I told you so 😂 

Six weeks.  SIX WEEKS!!!!

She's got her place in history alright, the shortest lasting PM of all time. But.. I cocked up. The odds were 7/1 that she would be out by Christmas and I didn't place a bet.

woe woe and thrice woe.

image.thumb.jpeg.802fcbaf996aaf8969f51bc1602f990d.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bender said:

The cat must be wondering Wtf is going on 😂 

The cat is pm next week. New policies, all buildings covered in rope like scratching posts, cat litter on every corner and no vat on cat food. Not sure how markets will react.