New PM

Stu

3 hours ago, Bender said:

As I know little about her I've done a bit of google

Truss worked for Shell, during which time she qualified as a Chartered Management Accountant (ACMA) in 1999. In 2000, Truss was employed by Cable & Wireless and rose to economic director before leaving in 2005.[19]

She went from a northern comp to Oxford to do maths so no she's not thick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bender said:

As I know little about her I've done a bit of google

Truss worked for Shell, during which time she qualified as a Chartered Management Accountant (ACMA) in 1999. In 2000, Truss was employed by Cable & Wireless and rose to economic director before leaving in 2005.[19]

I wonder if she can answer the question of why shell energy has increased their electricity prices despite claiming that they use 100% renewable electricity 🤔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

I wonder if she can answer the question of why shell energy has increased their electricity prices despite claiming that they use 100% renewable electricity 🤔

I can answer that, cause its all tied to the fecking price of gas ie the most expensive cost, eurupoe has same system and are looking to break the link. 

14 minutes ago, Bender said:

I can answer that, cause its all tied to the fecking price of gas ie the most expensive cost, eurupoe has same system and are looking to break the link. 

But how? 

It's supposed to be wind and sun that supplies their electric not gas! 

8 hours ago, Stu said:

As someone else said the art of sales is not how much an item costs, it’s about how much people will pay. At this time they can charge what ever they want cause there is not enough to go around.

I am guessing your 100% renewable means they generate enough electricity in total but have to rely on gas for peak demands when there is typically less wind and sun.

The wind speed tends to decrease after sunset because at night the surface of the Earth cools much more rapidly than does the air above the surface. As a result of this difference in cooling ability, it doesn't take long for the ground to become colder than the air above it.”

https://wxguys.ssec.wisc.edu/2013/11/18/why-does-the-wind-diminish-after-sunset/#:~:text=The wind speed tends to,than the air above it.

Probably why they are looking to borrow energy from electric car battery’s when there are peak loads and charge up later (someone posted about this elsewhere).

Plus wind energy is not exactly problem free, or that environmentally friendly…

image.thumb.jpeg.c543d261d44bc1a41c0404ea07994db4.jpeg

Or cheap:

9E0A33BD-A831-43E4-A693-FF9543609251.thumb.jpeg.d4fdff2c402c6a6f2e2a98be4044663f.jpeg

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-record-low-uk-offshore-wind-cheaper-than-existing-gas-plants-by-2023/

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

So it's all false advertising and bullshit then 

Yes and no, the fact is the world needs to reduce reliance on focal Fuels. Wind and solar energy have a part to play.  Ideally renewables should be the only solution, however that isn’t going to happen for along long time.  

Presently it would probably mean massive changes in lifestyle that we would not accept, so no government is brave enough to do…. 

They do it by pushing forward though electric cars, just like wind and solar are developing but not quite there yet. Putting cart before the horse?

Instead they make daft decisions like stopping selling 125cc motorbikes ICE bikes first probably the cheapest most efficient form of individual transport.  Should they not start picking on the most inefficient polluting motorbikes? 

As with cars stopping the vehicles that use the most energy/ fuel / produce the most CO2 first?  Or can they not afford to upset those that can afford to pay the high taxes..  

If someone developed a car that could do 100mpg with with less than 50g/km CO2 should that not be allowed as a super low emissions ICE vehicle?

It would almost certainly be more environmentally friendly than an EV.

On the bright side the uk is leading the world in certain areas:

84924309-E6FB-41EF-9D85-0BEC37547DD7.thumb.jpeg.3e988fda9ce26d420270fabcd671c2b9.jpeg

https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emissions/

We have a global environmental record our CO2 per capita is low (1/3 of 🇨🇦) and  reducing quicker than any other country.  I am guessing that is not going to be without some significant cost to the economy.

I have never seen that in the press….

Edited by onesea

4 minutes ago, onesea said:

Yes and no, the fact is the world needs to reduce reliance on focal Fuels. Wind and solar energy have a part to play.  Ideally renewables should be the only solution, however that isn’t going to happen for along long time.  

Presently it would probably mean massive changes in lifestyle that we would not accept, so no government is brave enough to do…. 

They do it by pushing forward though electric cars, just like wind and solar are developing but not quite there yet. Putting cart before the horse?

Instead they make daft decisions like stopping selling 125cc motorbikes ICE bikes first probably the cheapest most efficient form of individual transport.  Should they not start picking on the most inefficient polluting motorbikes? 

As with cars stopping the vehicles that use the most energy/ fuel / produce the most CO2 first?  Or can they not afford to upset those that can afford to pay the high taxes..  

If someone developed a car that could do 100mpg with with less than 50g/km CO2 should that not be allowed as a super low emissions ICE vehicle?

It would almost certainly be more environmentally friendly than an EV.

On the bright side the uk is leading the world in certain areas:

84924309-E6FB-41EF-9D85-0BEC37547DD7.thumb.jpeg.3e988fda9ce26d420270fabcd671c2b9.jpeg

https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emissions/

We have a global environmental record our CO2 per capita is low (1/3 of 🇨🇦) and  reducing quicker than any other country.  I am guessing that is not going to be without some significant cost to the economy.

I have never seen that in the press….

You're going too far off track here the point I'm making is they advertise 100% renewable energy when it's not so in essence m bills shouldn't be increasing like they are! 

13 hours ago, Stu said:

But how? 

It's supposed to be wind and sun that supplies their electric not gas! 

It’s because all electricity is sold appt the same base rate regardless of how it’s generated. 
Also the Shell that supplies electricity into the home has to buy from the open market it can not buy from the Shell that generates at a discount because they are run as 2 separate companies. The boss of Octopus energy was discussing this a couple of months ago. Their energy is 100% renewable but they can not sell at a reduced cost.

• Like 2

She has inherited a nightmare scenario. Looking back to Thatcher she provided short term solutions to deep seated problems, laying up even bigger problems down the line. I hope Truss doesn't do the same. We need leadership that looks way ahead - long after they've gone from power.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

She has inherited a nightmare scenario. Looking back to Thatcher she provided short term solutions to deep seated problems, laying up even bigger problems down the line. I hope Truss doesn't do the same. We need leadership that looks way ahead - long after they've gone from power.

I be happy if she does what she promised on dualling the a1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

I be happy if she does what she promised on dualling the a1

What's the point if then you're having a wall on the border...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

We need leadership that looks way ahead - long after they've gone from power.

Well that ain’t going to happen no one is going to vote for short/ medium term hardship for long term gain.

Not when people would pay the interest on credit cards to have it all now…

• Like 4