Why do I want a 1 litre sports bike?

techniques

I've owned a GSXR 600 for 11 months now and I've never once thought, "I wish I had more power right now."

An M3 tried to race me once and I let off once I started thinking about the potential consequences of my actions, and then another Beemer on another day, but it was night time and raining so I didn't even go for it.

I enjoy the occasional traffic light blast off against a nice car, but it's always over before it even begins. To be on the side of the road, trying to explain to the police why I was doing a 100mph in a 40 is a position I never want to be in.

I am now used to the raw power of a 600 and the thrill isn't as strong as month 1, but if anything, I still spend most of the time telling myself to calm down, again - as I start thinking about the potential consequences of my actions.

Still, here I am at almost 2am looking at a 2010 S1000rr with 190bhp, 2017 Fireblade 189bhp, GSXR 1000 L2 182bhp... 

All that power that I would never use... and I still want it.  1litre sports bike owners, talk to me. What's the appeal? 

• Like 1

Torque. I used to ride a Kawasaki 2 stroke powevalve which was quick when you kept it above 8000rpm. That seems a bit frantic. Also, if you are doing a steady speed you need to drop a few gears to get the power to overtake. With big bikes you often don't have to change gear to overtake- just open the throttle.

• Like 2

I've got the S1000RR (although I am going to be selling it), I do love the bike, but you're right, I'll never in a month of Sundays use all the power it delivers.  The sound, torque, look off the machine, and the feel of all that power in the throttle is amazing.  However, I've come to look at it as a weekend toy.  I don't find it comfortable to ride long distances, can't tour two up, even riding it round town is a pain "it doesn't like to crawl around", and be careful .... it's a true licence loser if you get carried away.  Let's be honest though, the bike is designed for racing, and that just isn't me anymore.  Great for track days though 😀.  Get one of the bikes you're looking at, you'll love them, providing they fit in with the type of future riding you intend to do.  I think you've just got to ride one for a while to see the appeal.  As for me,  I love to tour, camp and ride in a bit of comfort now, so it no longer fits the bill, plus I can no longer afford "or justify to my other half", the luxury of two bikes. 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Just shut up and do it 😁

🤣🤣

Buy the bike you like and want you don't HAVE to use all the power 

This is type of advice the devil on my shoulder says to me all the time! 🤣

Like Nike said, Just do it.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, keith1200rs said:

Torque. I used to ride a Kawasaki 2 stroke powevalve which was quick when you kept it above 8000rpm. That seems a bit frantic. Also, if you are doing a steady speed you need to drop a few gears to get the power to overtake. With big bikes you often don't have to change gear to overtake- just open the throttle.

This is a good point but I enjoy shifting, working through the powerband and making sure I'm at the right gear and rpm for the situation. Honestly, another good reason why I DON'T need a 1litre bike. 

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

I've got the S1000RR (although I am going to be selling it), I do love the bike, but you're right, I'll never in a month of Sundays use all the power it delivers.  The sound, torque, look off the machine, and the feel of all that power in the throttle is amazing.  However, I've come to look at it as a weekend toy.  I don't find it comfortable to ride long distances, can't tour two up, even riding it round town is a pain "it doesn't like to crawl around", and be careful .... it's a true licence loser if you get carried away.  Let's be honest though, the bike is designed for racing, and that just isn't me anymore.  Great for track days though 😀.  Get one of the bikes you're looking at, you'll love them, providing they fit in with the type of future riding you intend to do.  I think you've just got to ride one for a while to see the appeal.  As for me,  I love to tour, camp and ride in a bit of comfort now, so it no longer fits the bill, plus I can no longer afford "or justify to my other half", the luxury of two bikes. 

The sound, torque, look off the machine, and the feel of all that power in the throttle is amazing. - I think this experience is probably what I'm after. Just being able to enjoy an incredibly powerful and beautiful piece of engineering.

You've sold me on it. Now, for the next important question. GSXR 1000 K5, 2012 Fireblade, 2008 R1 4c8, -£5-6k bracket or stretch 1-2k more for a 2010 S1000rr?

You want one because at the end of the day, why not!! Life is short so why not enjoy the small luxuries, it's what enjoyment you'll get out of it that becomes the important question, within the legal limits of course (seeing what it can do once or twice can't harm though 😉).

Does my boss need a Mustang V8 to commute to and from Epping to Nottingham twice a week - absolutely not!! Did it stop him from getting one... nah, he went and got that fuel guzzler anyway 🤣

• Like 3

5 hours ago, techniques said:

You've sold me on it... 

you were queuing up to buy🤣

Another reason - more relaxing on the motorway. Not that motorway riding is something to hanker after, but sometimes it has be done, and when it does it's nice to have an engine that doesn't whine and strain.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, techniques said:

I've owned a GSXR 600 for 11 months now and I've never once thought, "I wish I had more power right now."

An M3 tried to race me once.

Wasn't me honest, I know better than trying to outdrag a bike.

If you want a litre bike just go for it, if its an itch you need to scratch.

Had my R1 for 6 years, seen three figures a handful of times and maybe 130mph on a track, so did I really need a 150hp, 175mph machine?

Probably not, but I just love the easy power delivery, pulls strong from 3000rpm even in top gear.

• Like 1

Why did Neil Armstrong walk on the moon? 

Why did Edmund Hillary climb Everest?

Why did Edmondson go to the South Pole?

Why did I scoff the apple pie left in the fridge?

Because they are there. 

You don't need a better reason.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My mate had an r6, loved it more than his own child. We swapped bikes one day and 10 minutes later he told me he was getting one of mine, and a week later he did. You don't know what you're missing until you've tried it. 

20220805_115526.thumb.jpg.5de5eb304e425633380ebca6bb1aaa97.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 19:44, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Why did Neil Armstrong walk on the moon? 

Why did Edmund Hillary climb Everest?

Why did Edmondson go to the South Pole?

Why did I scoff the apple pie left in the fridge?

Because they are there. 

You don't need a better reason.

What he said! :laugh:

I have a 2016 S1000RR and I absolutely love it. 

Contrary to what many say, it's not really that uncomfortable. I commute on it and I've also done a trip to Wales (from Berkshire) for a couples of days and I didn't even think of comfort, or lack thereof, for a second.

I know I'll never use all the power available, but I enjoy it every time I get on it.