Advice needed

Davidtav

So my daughter has bought a very expensive leasehold flat near London. With a parking place … that’s where the problem starts. My daughters flat is number 3. The parking space has a line painted. Which is probably a number one. I don’t think there is any disagreement that this is her parking space. However she is being told not to repaint the space. Any legal advice welcome 

7 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

So my daughter has bought a very expensive leasehold flat near London. With a parking place … that’s where the problem starts. My daughters flat is number 3. The parking space has a line painted. Which is probably a number one. I don’t think there is any disagreement that this is her parking space. However she is being told not to repaint the space. Any legal advice welcome 

Presumably any alterations would have to be approved by lease holder or agent. 

Yeah. It’s a crazy one. I’ve been there. I don’t think there is any nonsense to say she doesn’t have this parking space. But it is numbered 1 and she would prefer it numbered 3. That’s her flat x

My daughter doesn’t drive. She doesn’t have a car. And it doesn’t seem to me to be unreasonable to think that her parking space be signed properly. And the parking space is a significant proportion of the value of the property … yeah I know you were joking with your response. 

Well I think flat 1 has a garage. This is doing my head in because my daughter has paid an extraordinary amount for a one bedroom flat with a parking space. Yes. She doesn’t drive and doesn’t own a car. But my estimate is the parking space is worth around £75k. So you would want it signed properly. I actually don’t think there is any dispute between owners that this is her space. But I feel the solicitors should have picked up on this one 

Who is telling her not to change it? If she has title deeds showing her space she can do what she likes within reason. If all the flat owners own the lease write a letter to the person in charge asking them to tell you why legally you cannot change the number painted and you want a reply in writing you are only changing paint from one figure to another. Could it have been that the last person to own the flat was renting out the space and there are a few spaces around the area numbered. She could always put a sign or plaque up saying this is parking for flat 3 only and all other vehicles will be clamped.

• Like 1

Yeah well my daughter is actually a Law graduate. Apparently there are clauses in the lease about the parking space numbering. It all seems contrary to common sense to me. And I do feel the conveyancing solicitor should have identified this … this is properly doing my head in actually 

If there's no number three parking space, then it's clear that the parking spaces have one numbering system, and the flats have a different one. So there shouldn't be any need for the numbers to match up.

I'd suggest just not to worry about it. She's got the paperwork to prove it's hers, and she doesn't need anything more than that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bonio said:

If there's no number three parking space, then it's clear that the parking spaces have one numbering system, and the flats have a different one. So there shouldn't be any need for the numbers to match up.

I'd suggest just not to worry about it. She's got the paperwork to prove it's hers, and she doesn't need anything more than that.

Yup. 

I had a flat no1, parking space was no 7 😂 no1 was right outside my font door🤔, every flat knew which parking space belonged to them and it never caused a problem.

2 hours ago, Blackholesun said:

Good idea 

If the parking space is on the road, then SORN is not allowable.

If off-road, then the number is just for identification purposes and will (if the paperwork states it) belong to flat No 3.