Anyone into skywatching?

Mississippi Bullfrog

Living in the middle of nowhere we are gifted by dark skies which means that on a clear night the stars and planets are spectacular. I have a good set of binoculars with which I have enjoyed spotting things using an app to help know where to look and identify what I can see.

I have some birthday money and have recently been pondering investing in a decent telescope. The obvious choice is an 8" reflector dobsonian - but they are quite large and I'm wondering if I'll regret going for something that size. However, bang for your buck they look unbeatable.  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-telescopes/stellalyra-8-f6-dobsonian.html (I know you can get cheaper versions but with the bits I'd want to upgrade this has everything in the box for less money.)

I like the low maintenance and portability of a refractor but for an aperture that's large enough they get expensive both in terms of the scope and mount.

We have a local club but they don't meet for a while.

Just wondered if any of you guys have any experience or advice to share? 

8 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Living in the middle of nowhere we are gifted by dark skies which means that on a clear night the stars and planets are spectacular. I have a good set of binoculars with which I have enjoyed spotting things using an app to help know where to look and identify what I can see.

I have some birthday money and have recently been pondering investing in a decent telescope. The obvious choice is an 8" reflector dobsonian - but they are quite large and I'm wondering if I'll regret going for something that size. However, bang for your buck they look unbeatable.  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-telescopes/stellalyra-8-f6-dobsonian.html (I know you can get cheaper versions but with the bits I'd want to upgrade this has everything in the box for less money.)

I like the low maintenance and portability of a refractor but for an aperture that's large enough they get expensive both in terms of the scope and mount.

We have a local club but they don't meet for a while.

Just wondered if any of you guys have any experience or advice to share? 

Looks like a decent bit of kit. Something I've had an interest in but little time to get into it. I have a friend who is into it and has bought some attachment so he can link his camera up to it and take pics

I like star watching normally whilst riding or sailing, Salisbury plain area is particularly good. New forest here is not bad either.

Sailing it has to be away from ports and marinas.

However no help to your question either 🤐

Edited by onesea

Camped one night on the edge of a tiny village close to the Czech border. Clear night, no moon. went for a walk and looked up. Milky Way stretched across the sky and so many satellites. Literally 100s of them. Never seen anything even remotely like it since.

Altitude no light pollution and good air make huge difference. 

Get some reasonable dark skies in Northumberland and Highlands, but not seen anywhere to rival mountains in USA. 

I'm sure a good scope will keep you amused for hours add a camera mount and you can get some pics up and share 😁 

I was into it in a big way a few years ago but living in Birmingham the light pollution was so bad there were very few dark nights on offer. I spent a lot of nights in Galloway or the Peaks. This was equally frustrating due to regular cloudy nights  and having travelled hundreds of miles and setting up all my gear I finally gave up. One of the very few occasions where I did have 180 degree view of a beautifully dark night I got as much fun with a decent pair of binoculars than I did slewing the scope from nebula to cluster etc. In hindsight, the ease of use with a dob made much more sense. I used to go to starparties where F.L.O would often attend and you got some good deal from them. Try Stargazerslounge forum, some great advice there and there's always news of meet-ups for the experienced or beginner. 

• Like 3

I've got one of these, got it off ebay about 4 years ago for £60, quite the bargain.

https://www.ukcamerastore.co.uk/acatalog/Celestron-Astromaster-114EQ--55555555555655.html

Bought it to try a get the grandkids interested in Astronomy.

We used it this week as #2 grandson had a school project on the night sky and were watching the moon on Monday.

At sea I sky watch often because there's usually no light pollution once you are offshore. The southern hemisphere is best as there's a lot less dust in the upper atmosphere so it gets clearer skies. A friend tried photography but it doesn't really work as the constant vibration and movement doesn't work well with long exposures.

Edited by S-Westerly

On 02/02/2023 at 08:01, Yorky said:

Thanks for that - but it would it would cost me a day and towards £100 in petrol to pick it up. For someone local it's a bargain. 

• Like 1

Just to share the outcome of this....

Whilst an 8" Dobsonian is technically the best choice for me the chairman of our local astronomy club pointed out that its a long walk from the car park to the field where they meet. 

His advice was to get something cheaper and more portable to start with, then add the Dob later if needed. 

So I've gone for a 90mm refractor which is half the price but is eaten as a good basic scope. It also means less setting up and maintenance.  

• Like 1