Not Good!

manxie49

A mate just forwarded these pictures to me, posted on another group.  2017 BMW R1200RT.  Apparently heard a bang and loud knocking sound as he accelerated to join the motorway, pulled over and found this!!  CV Joint doesn't look good, doesn't look like it's seen any grease in a long time.  Water ingress into the final drive housing is apparently an issue,  BMW have authorised a modification in the form of a one way valve to allow water to drain out .... Rider of this bike was lucky, make sure you check your final drives guys and gals and get the mod done by your local dealer if needed 

330396347_711192730593389_190371654667513674_n.jpeg

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

So chains aren't all bad then?

over 26 years owning an 1100GS I never had a problem with the shaft, I paid almost no interest in the 1200 series when they appeared,  so I have no idea what they mean when they mention "grease". or "water ingress". or a "one way valve". With mine it was just go for a quick ride drain the 1L of warm gear oil out,  new crush washer on the drain plug. refill. and done. a simple 2 minute job.

progress eh?

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

I'm led to believe that the problem is something to do with that rubber gaiter on the final drive, allows ingress of water??  Apparently BMW know about the issue which is why they're retro fitting these valves.  My mate has had his GS now for quite some time and never had any issues, he did get the valve fitted by his local BMW dealer.  It only seems to be a minority of bikes that are having the issue.  As Steve_M said though, regardless of outcome I certainly wouldn't be happy.

The issue is that the boot can allow water in as with all seals if not maintained properly 

The one way valve that's being fitted is only to gs models and police and blood bikes RT's and not civilian spec RT's 

The problem isn't the lack of grease but water ingres in to the cv joint which can be an issue on any shaft driven bike. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

The issue is that the boot can allow water in as with all seals if not maintained properly 

The one way valve that's being fitted is only to gs models and police and blood bikes RT's and not civilian spec RT's 

The problem isn't the lack of grease but water ingres in to the cv joint which can be an issue on any shaft driven bike. 

Also dependant on use of said bike and stress put on it by use and movement, some will have more of an inspection than others 😁 like if they drill the hole and water comes out, that will undergo further inspection 🤔 

7 minutes ago, Bender said:

Also dependant on use of said bike and stress put on it by use and movement, some will have more of an inspection than others 😁 like if they drill the hole and water comes out, that will undergo further inspection 🤔 

Yup that's right 

I'm on my phone and couldn't be bothered to type all that 🤣

There is a lot of people speculating that the air inside the swing arm is warming up and escaping then when dropped in to a ford it cools down and sucks water in! 

Personally I think it's because the grease that seals it dries out and people are too cheap to buy the correct grease to seal the gaiters! It's 30 quid for 50g tube 😳

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1643307926509_6892533009393985590.jpeg

16 hours ago, Stu said:

Yup that's right 

I'm on my phone and couldn't be bothered to type all that 🤣

There is a lot of people speculating that the air inside the swing arm is warming up and escaping then when dropped in to a ford it cools down and sucks water in! 

Personally I think it's because the grease that seals it dries out and people are too cheap to buy the correct grease to seal the gaiters! It's 30 quid for 50g tube 😳

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1643307926509_6892533009393985590.jpeg

Where did you buy that grease from Stu?  We were just looking online and could only find the stuff in bulk .... Cheers.

12 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Where did you buy that grease from Stu?  We were just looking online and could only find the stuff in bulk .... Cheers.

I will have a look when I get home and see if I can find the receipt! I seem the think I found it on ebay! 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

That's the one 

It lasts a while though 😂

A lot of people are using other greases but they are not the same! This stuff actually creates a seal 

• Like 2