Advice on taking a pillion please

Davidtav

Well I’ve been on my own a few years now. And taking a pillion hasn’t been an issue. However strangely enough I seem to have met someone. And she is attractive and likes boats and motorbikes. My two main passions … what’s not to like lol

Anyway, she is keen to accompany me on the bike as a pillion. And has actually borrowed a decent helmet and some leathers etc from a friend. So is obviously genuine about that. And she has been a pillion before. 

Now the thing is, I don’t think my bike is ideal for a pillion. If this becomes a thing then I will need a new bike. Which I’m ok with. But it would be fun to go on some short trips on my current bike and see how we get on. My bike is a 2019 Kawasaki Z650. I’m insured for a pillion. But never taken one. I’ve taken pillions years ago on a 125. And that all worked ok. … the thing that concerns me is that the pillion seat on the Z650 looks small. Now my new friend is not tall. And she isn’t overweight. But still she is an adult passenger. There are no hand holds on the Z650. Because of that, I’ve ordered this belt thing from Amazon to go around my waist. And it has two handles for her to hold on to. I’m hoping that’s going to be helpful … I’ve never touched the suspension on my bike. But there is a spanner in the tool kit to adjust pre load on the rear suspension. Should I do something with that?  Should I increase tyre pressure?  … appreciate any advice … and any ideas on a new bike. Thanks

• Like 1

Those belt grips are good, better than grips on the bike i reckon. If youve got a top box rack consider strapping a softbag on there as a bit of support. . She's been pillion before but make sure she understands about getting in and off, leaning etc. You probo will want to adjust suspension. 

Comfort is everything for a happy pillion. 

I have ridden a lot with pillions, but I always have bikes with a sizeable pillion seat and a top box. I don't need to move as one with my pillion, who I encourage to sit upright and to keep their back against the top box. I would not like to take a pillion perched on a tiny seat like that, unless they were also a biker. If I had to, we would start with lots of short, slow rides and go somewhere to practice heavy breaking & accelerating, so you both learn to move as one.

• Like 1

Do not commit to long journey, have back up plan to get her home of she doesn't get on.  Circular ride an hour from home, coffee and ice cream stops ever 40 minutes or so, so she doesn't get sore ass (Keep that till later).

As someone said grab handles. Oh and suggest she squeezes her legs together for grip on to bike, not just for your pleasure...

As for advice to her scream if she wants to go faster?

Actually have system so you know to slow, my misses uses repeated jabs to my kidneys.

Don't lean go with the bike, let you guide her...

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

First rule of thumb is decent gear 

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/topic/48826-for-sale-arai-profile-v/#comment-608094

:popcorn:

Next just take it steady! Do everything smoothly 

Check the manual for recommended pressures with a pillion 

As for suspension that's a personal choice! Personally I wouldn't touch it to begin with and see how the bike is 

• Like 1

Another shout out for Renntec and I also used a Triboseat cover for my R1 and they both worked a treat. Only adjusted the pre load on the forks to stop the dive when braking.

• Like 1

Thought I would update this to say that I decided to fit a top box with a backrest for a pillion. And we went out for a little ride this evening. And all seemed good. So longer ride planned for tomorrowIMG_1800.thumb.jpeg.349c07137d90e5742799169784436ec5.jpeg

Edited by Davidtav
  • Like 5

Well my bike behaves much better with a pillion on board than I would ever have thought. And my friend loves it!  Had a brilliant day out yesterday. Went to Scarborough and then on to Whitby for fish and chips. Did 150 miles and everything was good. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

I was expecting and hoping to say I need to buy a new motorbike. But actually this is great. I’m not sure whether to feel happy or not about that

You need a new bike. To be more specific ,you need another bike.

1 hour ago, Davidtav said:

I was expecting and hoping to say I need to buy a new motorbike. But actually this is great. I’m not sure whether to feel happy or not about that

Well if you are going to be doing any sort of touring you need a new bike 

Also if you are off to the seaside you need a new bike 

and if you are going for rides you need a new bike 

:lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Well if you are going to be doing any sort of touring you need a new bike 

Also if you are off to the seaside you need a new bike 

and if you are going for rides you need a new bike 

:lol: 

Yeah  Here is a pic of my pillion. What’s not to like lolIMG_1801.thumb.jpeg.2c3db7f92827f7daa241ae426f0dde85.jpeg

My missus has done 1000's of miles ss a pillion with me. For first few trips she would put her hands on my waist gripping loosely onto the jacket belt. Know she sits on the back without holding on, i  alot of cases on longer trips she either falls asleep or reads her kinde. The dnoring while she asleep is abit much through headsets but you can stske your life onit if i mute the mic wakes up

Trust and understanding of each other is the priority for a safe and enjoyable ride. Admittedly our bike is made for 2up long distance touring

20230622_130455.jpg

• Like 4