Campervan and Motorbike holiday?

AmyMac

Hi everyone, 

I wonder if I could pick your brains? Would you ever consider using a Campervan alongside your bike when going on a road trip holiday? I don't mean that you would drive both, obviously, but maybe for your family to travel in, and then meet up with you at a campsite to spend the night before hitting the road again? I run a VW Campervan rental company in the East Midlands (and am part of a biker couple too (ZZR1400 and a Harley)), and I'm thinking of doing a bit of market research into whether bikers would be interested in this type of holiday? We certainly do it, but am curious as to whether anyone else would? I know it's popular on the continent, but haven't seen much of it in the UK! 

Thanks for your comments, in advance. 

Amy

www.vanglorious.co.uk

• Like 1

We have a van and bike, we've talked about it a few times but the only time I can actually remember doing it was for a tmbf rally about 20 miles from home.

I'd think it was certainly something worth looking into though! :thumb:

Welcome! :classic_biggrin:

I guess the trick would be working out whether there was a way to add value to the biker market over and above simply renting a camper to the non-riding partner for a week. 

It could be a neat marketing angle with nothing more to it than that.  Alternatively you might want to set up organised tours catering for a bunch of riders at a time where you'd sell the whole package including routes, accomodation, communal evening meals, activities, even optional bike hire.

Maybe you can get a caravan that can carry a pan european so I wouldn't need a second person driving and spending 1/3 more fuel going to the same place.

I camp often and see, especially Germans and Dutch doing this all the time. Bikes towed on trailers or attached to the rear with a hydraulic lift. It’s fairly normal on the continent.

The most outrageous was this. And although you can’t see it. There’s a Ducati on the back. Off the ground

IMG_0924.thumb.jpeg.32336b50aeb08779fbe69bc7da842645.jpeg

• Like 3

I've often had the thought when we go away of, if only I could take the bike too. But my wife wouldn't want to drive so far, so its me driving the car and bike's left at home. This might make it possible. I'd definitely give it a thought.

I've always wondered if you could get a camper van where the bike fits in it - so you drive somewhere - then can go out on the bike once you are there. That would give you the perk of a 'warmer tent' with 'transport. 

Hi, 

I have in the past gone on the bike while the family have gone in 4 wheels, but to a cottage type accommodation. I am currently looking for a Motolug type trailer to tow behind my camper so I can take my bike also. That's gonna be the best of both worlds I think, what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks so much everyone, it's really helpful to get everyone's thoughts. I may dip my toe in the water to see if anyone is interested. Chris Walker Kawasaki in Grantham said they may be interested in working with us (www.vanglorious.co.uk) to do a bit of an Open Day type thing to garner some interest. If it goes ahead, I'll post the details! Have a great summer riding everyone. 

• Like 3