Choosing bike after 20 years not riding

nigel

Down to mostly money issues, I haven't had a bike in about 20 years, and hopefully, next year that will change. My last bike was a year 2000 Yamaha YZF R1, and although I couldn't even begin to take it to it's limit, I loved it. I loved the way it handled, accelerated, and that I could even sport-tour on it, probably in that order. I always kind of reckoned that the top speed was irrelevant. Anyway, here we are 2 decades later, bikes are more powerful, but with electronic hand-holding, and faired bikes are in the minority. If money were no object and I throw common sense out the window, I'd probably get a Panigale V4R. A Panigale V2 is probably bike enough for me, but still crazy expensive. An S 1000 RR might work, but still silly money, so that kind of leaves me with the new version of my R1, or a ZX10 R; the Fireblade is a Honda and the GSXR 1000 hasn't brought anything new to the party for a long time. I've considered nakeds; 890 Duke or Street Triple; they'd be down on my old R1, but probably still quick enough since I'm now in my 50s. But can nakeds do motorways? What should I get?

Pretty much Anything in the last 20 years will have brought something new and improved over you old r1 and feel lightyears ahead so might be good to get that perspective out of the way,

The world has moved on and even low priced bikes are better spec'd.

Get what fits your body thats closest out of the box or be prepared to shell out more buying adjustable bits to make it less extreme for you first. don't be drawn to flashy specs as they are not much use on the road.

Ive got a old "semi sports🤭" semi faired 600 4cyl now and yes its better to some degree with a fairing which is 4 times bigger than modern bikes but you still have to crunch up under its double bubble to get the benefit so with a superbike its proper migget  jockey time. if your touring or slogging loads of motorway miles you'll notice but if this is a weekend toy and back roads warrior you wont really benefit to offset the discomfort from the body position it will put you in.

our old R1 was making in the region of 150bhp but yamaha rarely made that figure out of the box, closer to 140mark realistically, now they are all 220+monsters with 110+mph in first gear prison territory.

a V2 is more like in sprite at 150hp but just a shit load torque lower down the rev range at 77ftlb WITH JUST TWO CYLINDERS, would give great great grandfather R1 a fair fight in any toptrump category you'd like to choose, but again it's still quite an extreme machine.

i had a 1000 sports then went down to a naked 500 twin is 120mph from just a lowly 46hp...hitting 100 and passing cars was still easy to do as you was always in the power band even with big wide bars and no bikini screen to hide behind while i rode all year round.
big step down i know but thats life..it was ok as the twin had instant stomp and drive similar to a ducati back in the day if i was to put it in perspective for you.

engine configuration makes a big deal on how they operate and interact so choose wisely.

Even low powered 3/4 ltr as manufacturers call them "Roadsters" are not that shy off what you had back in the day but more torque lower down which for the road is bettEr and more fun let alone low stressed 1000 roadsters.
Or as tou said you couldn't tap into that potential back then of the ancient R1 (in todays terms) so the problem you may experience with a modern r1 is being even more lazy (scared shittless) and possibly feel inadequate for the machine?😔

even ex racers have saying and a joke " better to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow and every year goes by thinking they were faster in the day".

In true real world public road use a naked bike is faster.

if i was to suggest a reasonable "status" bike and go some way with a nod to "tour" a sports tourer is a better idea ,🤭 A bike like a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 h2 /h2sx which has a super charger, certainly aint slow and sounds awesome.

if you just want born again/midlife crisis pose about for about 30mins before crying in agony, or just for trackdays? feel free on the modern superbike.
But if you want to ride on the road and feel like you can get some accessible engagement and enjoy out of it, a roadster / sports tourer would be wiser and wont feel it's a let down to a "status you once had".

so it might sound brutal but it's accurate,
But im sure someone will jump on shortly to say otherwise.

Edited by RideWithStyles

MT10 is a brilliant bike, I used to have one and can safely say it's great as a commuter, and brilliant for fast / fun weekend runs with your mates, and a good performer on the winter roads.  it just didn't really work for two up touring for me.  S1000RR is also a good bike, but, IMHO isn't the best choice for commuting or for riding during the winter months, it also isn't the most comfortable of bikes, it's more of an expensive toy.

You're going to need to do some test rides. A lot has changed over the last 20 years. Bikes have for sure. You may find your body has too :D.

When you've tried some out, I'd for one would be really interested to read what you thought.

Why not start with an MT10, an R1, and, say, a Ninja 1000SX? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm more than aware my body has changed, I'm trying to figure out whether not being in a crouch on a naked outweighs being a sail on a motorway. In an ideal world I would like something that looks half decent, I could live with it being less gorgeous than a Panigale but I'm not sure I could do transformer MT10 day in, day out.

I'm aware that there are 220hp monsters out there, and I understand that 220hp, next to my old 150hp (or call it 140hp I get the point) is 50% more. But as unable as I was to fully tame my beast, I did manually do my own traditional ABS, Cornering ABS, Traction Control, Wheelie Control, 6-axis IMU, multiple riding modes and god knows what else a rider no longer manages. With all that stuff switched on, are the new stupid fast bikes really scarier than my old stupid fast R1? Maybe they are, I honestly don't know, and yes test-riding is definitely part of the plan. Still listening...

• Like 1

Are you?

there is a reason why the sales of these bikes are low compared to roadsters like the mts, speeds, streets, 700s.

Yes they are so much sharper, more focused on track work than ever before so on the road they are more of a pain to put up with unless ur Dani pedestal with years of yoga torture. which also means, temperamental to a seasoned rider let alone a titanic rusty one 🥸.

so being even more crouched up into a fetal position awaith all the weight on your wrists,knees bent as far as possible with the ankles as high half way up your arseand ankles at 70degree much more comfortable while doing 20-70ish...not called marques while at catalunya .

your old bike is a leisurely soft sports tourer at best these days.

They can be still if not more scary and you can still hurt yourself just the same just faster... difference will be another level of management to wad through, trusting a geeks computer algorithm and wiring is the same as your needs/requirement and the penny pinching account.

The kit is better like the brakes and the suspension, means you can set them up to a point out of the box but really the base setting is for average to very fast track days with a whiff of being able to and from the track without killing you on the first damp/wet main road you come too.

you can tame them down to a point with the aids but when they do most tend to be sort of suddenly and not liner the higher the level you go so annoying and intrusive...like controlling through honey or computer takes over suddenly when ur not expecting it...would tou like your phone/computer to do that? 

then you might expect that the other part of the system might want to kick in cos some else happened.
They should be viewed as an aid on the track to mop up the last tenths and try to avoid the gravel trap if possible not ride the thing for you but they are all still fallable.

if your gonna dumb it down that much then whats the point? If it just for show of wealth, first impressions of "must have skill" or just ghetto then go ahead.

Go to a dealership and stay seated on the bikes solely in the proper riding position(s) for about 20-30mins each...that will give you a quick glance, if the sale dude wants to get you off the bike quickly he knows you're testing the position and will definitely lose a sale on that bike as your body will most likely win the argument especially when adter purchase, wether they direct you to a more fitting bike (roadster) that would be a intelligent salesman not just out for first big swagbag.

im still going with what you said by your own words, still think you just need to see focus on the foundation first before the roof.

Id stick to a sensible bike first (mid to 3/4 capacity roadster) while you relearn riding, yourself and catching up with the times, even if its a used bike that's inbetween "the dream and the reality" then you know whats really spot on for you afterwards for a long term ideal bike.

If its a style thing, many other manufacturers avoid the manga/transformers, triumph, ducati, bmw (less boxers now), aprillia, ktm, moto guzzi, mv to name afew.

id check insurances, youve been out of the game so id be surprised if they charged you fondly with you new silverstone beater straight away.

Brother tried similar to you only two differences, he was less than 8years since he last rode and the bike was still more realistic road bike re wanted to insure in the first place yet the cost was still way out there (£****'s) so he got a SV650 which even he said was a good fun bike, So check first.

they have changed too, even a tiny drop an insurer might just write the bike off as its alot of ifs and buts with cost to them.

which you the claiment still pay for in the years afterwards with history.
I saw a barely two year old gxsf (7-8kvalue easy) that still looked mint, it had a low speed drop less than 20mph of one lighly panel scuffed, end can scuffed with the pipe slightly bent towards the swing arm but not rubbing afterwards when picked up, they still wrote it off but garage bought it off them cos they could still make some money from its light damage.

what do you think a 20k trackday bike with full fairing, electrical package yada yada will cost and there view...

Edited by RideWithStyles

When i had the 500 naked i was even going to do a birthday anniversary thing. Planned for ages to Ride from the north of england through france and to the bottom of spain at either arrgon or jerez to watch either wsbk or possibly motogp and i wouldnt have planned all that if the bike or me wasnt up ro it, but then covid messed that up...

bike like a super duke or a sx etc are still pronominal and potential machines still more than enough for the road if not for general track dayers!

Edited by RideWithStyles

If my old bike is a leisurely soft sports tourer at best these days, maybe I'd be happy with a 390 Duke, who knows? It would help me to put all of this in context if I knew which of you have ridden a pre electronic aids Superbike.

Best thing to do imo is actually try and ride a few. Don't listen to other folks opinions cos they are not you. Ride a few and decide what it is you personally are looking for in a bike and only you can answer that question. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nigel said:

If my old bike is a leisurely soft sports tourer at best these days, maybe I'd be happy with a 390 Duke, who knows? It would help me to put all of this in context if I knew which of you have ridden a pre electronic aids Superbike.

No 150bhp (or 140, for that matter) bike weighing under 200kg could be defined as a leisurely sports tourer. Sure, some modern bikes have ludicrous power outputs but for everyday road riding … it’s pretty pointless. 

I agree with the previous comments that you should go test ride a few bikes. Park your prejudices about the various rider aids - the chances are they’re unlikely to intrude on your ride. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve_M said:

No 150bhp (or 140, for that matter) bike weighing under 200kg could be defined as a leisurely sports tourer. Sure, some modern bikes have ludicrous power outputs but for everyday road riding … it’s pretty pointless. 

I agree with the previous comments that you should go test ride a few bikes. Park your prejudices about the various rider aids - the chances are they’re unlikely to intrude on your ride. 

And if they do and your not on gravel with an adventure bike it's probably intervened for a good reason 

• Like 1