Stupidity in the size of a coin

husoi

Royal Mint have decided, in all their infinite wisdom, that it will be a good idea to create coins like the one below to help children to learn how to count.

Maybe I'm just getting too old... But, why the 2 bees in a one pound coin?

one bird on a 20p coin?

add to this 3 flowers on the 2 pound coin.

If this doesn't' help to learn how to count. I can't imagine what will.

In a time where physical money is rarely used by younger generations, what's the point of this?

New £1 coin design

New coin designs from the 1p to the £2

• Like 2

It's so children can learn how the endless pursuit of money has led to the loss of the habitats these species occupied as we send them nearer to oblivion. Very clever learning tool I reckon. 

like the look of those coins.

I like the bees, though i do agree some are not on the correct coin of choice or the numbers if you want to demark them for that.

"The twenty pence bird" is a puffin, the other is a grouse.

why a trout, on a 50pence?

why is a oak or sycamore leaf? On a 5pence? While the weed is on a2pound?That will be the (@@@@) king's choice?

The teo pence is nice to make out and colour coordinated with a red squirrel-death to all greys!!!

whats the one pence? A bushed tail door mouse in hibernation? Looks more like a small possum!

the problem is which hasn't made sense ever is;

why a twenty small and has 5points while a ten is round and massive.

Five is tiny while a one pence is quite large and not much different to the two pence, if tou vision is impared their dificult to make out.

whats the point of a one pence coin in today's monetary terms it's almost worthless, mifht aswell start with a 20pence as a grade to the old school 1pence.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 2

I like them too. Sad to say, though, but that goat boy has got it about right. 

100% on board with death to the greys. I'm old enough to remember reds in the local parks - and that was in London.

I think the weed is meant to be the national flowers of the four countries of the UK - a thistle, a shamrock, a rose, a daffodil. All growing nicely together. Probably meant to be a dig at Nicola.

• Like 3

I have to agree with OP, this is dumb.

It's such a  random thing for then to be doing anyway, and the way they're going about it doesn't really make sense.

Have one bee on the £1, two bees on the £2 etc. Having two animals on a £1 just adds confusion.

Or better yet, have the smaller animals on the smaller denominations. One bee on a 1p, one chicken on the £1... The whole thing just doesn't seem very well thought out

I can only imagine they're trying to get parents to teach their kids with money in the hope that the next generation don't become a cashless generation and put the royal mint our of a job

Maybe it's a way of naming the different coins, like Americans call theirs dimes and quarters?

A 50p will be known as a Salmon which is equivalent to two puffins and a capercallie.

Seems like a massive waste of time considering all the cashless payment options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Im going to Spend. Spend. Spend!!

IMG_1649.thumb.JPG.2ab32fc13618ae2b19d53ad53c3c5aef.JPG

Acsherley. here is an interesting contrast. a 1/2d from 1788 and not even real money, produced by the works (Anglesey Mines) for its employees to spend in its own shop. compared to a modern 10p. A fairly common practice at that time. 235 years ago as there was a shortage of small coins. Which weren't particularly small.

IMG_1651.thumb.JPG.9b1e815cc936f3727589cb23122cdc0c.JPG

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Im going to Spend. Spend. Spend!!

IMG_1649.thumb.JPG.2ab32fc13618ae2b19d53ad53c3c5aef.JPG

Acsherley. here is an interesting contrast. a 1/2d from 1788 and not even real money, produced by the works (Anglesey Mines) for its employees to spend in its own shop. compared to a modern 10p. A fairly common practice at that time. 235 years ago as there was a shortage of small coins. Which weren't particularly small.

IMG_1651.thumb.JPG.9b1e815cc936f3727589cb23122cdc0c.JPG

Even in a company store the token would actually have bought something unlike 10p today.

I tell you what would develop early skills, parents could stop hooking them up to an iPad at age 3 and spend some time with them helping the kid naturally learn stuff.

Before I started school my gramp had taught me all sorts, when other kids were reading those small picture books they give to children I was like "Can I not just read this Roald Dahl book I brought in?"

I've got a few mates who teach primary and they're all saying the same thing - kids coming into their class who have the language skill of a baby, kids who aren't even toilet trained, parents blaming the teachers because their kid is a dickhead etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The covid generation of toddlers who had to be kept quiet whilst their parents were at home are now entering schools. They have been given whatever they want whenever they want to keep them from making a fuss. A lot of them are spoilt monsters. They will progress through school as a problem cohort. 

Reception and Year 1 in every school I know have these kids present.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My younger 2 grandchildren  (4 & 2) aren't too bad. Mainly as steely granny spent a lot of time with them and there's a reason she's known as Granny No. Still prone to normal small children arguments but can be reasoned with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

There's a reason she's known as Granny No.

I understand. I am now married to Nanny No. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The covid generation of toddlers who had to be kept quiet whilst their parents were at home are now entering schools. They have been given whatever they want whenever they want to keep them from making a fuss. A lot of them are spoilt monsters. They will progress through school as a problem cohort. 

To be honest the issue predates covid by all accounts but that's in a school in a poor area so I would imagine the occurrence of kids f**ked up by their parents before they've had a chance is much higher.

I reckon this is just the slow decline of a civilisation, end of an era that frankly never was great - alright or shit is about what we can do. Watch it burn and toast marshmallows on the flames, very tasty.

14 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

They were like that well before covid

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I wonder how many people would vote for a tightening of discipline in schools ?  For example bringing back corporal punishment ?  Probably loads, but they would all say " But you'll not belt my kid !"

1 hour ago, curlylegend said:

I wonder how many people would vote for a tightening of discipline in schools ?  For example bringing back corporal punishment ?  Probably loads, but they would all say " But you'll not belt my kid !"

My parents used to belt me if I got belted at school.  Just about a weekly experience until I got to 13 when I learned to be more crafty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bender said:

They were like that well before covid

Some were. But the prevalence of problem behaviour has soared since Covid. I was at a governors' conference a couple of weeks ago and just about every school has seen a sharp rise. It is having a major effect on budgets as staff have to be employed to work just controlling children who don't know how to behave. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, curlylegend said:

It's parenting that's the only solution. It's no good parents abdicating responsibility to schools. 

Of course as soon as you tell parents their child lacks basic social skills they get all entitled. So it's a viscous circle. 

• Like 1