looking for heated grips recommendations, what are you using?

The OEM fitted in the ST1300 stop working and I wouldn't replace them.

Rather go for heated gloves instead as you get better results.

You can have the hardwired version or the battery powered (my preferred one as I know I would snap the cord).

The gloves will keep the whole of the hand warm instead the palms as with the grips.

• Like 1

I have Oxford hot grips. Can fault them, they get very hot on the top setting and have 10 steps of how warm you want them. They also have a battery saver mode if you forget to turn them off after parking up.

However all grips will only heat the palm of your hand and maybe fingers of you don't need to use the levers for a while. 

Heater gloves might be a better option especially if you don't plan on keeping your bike for long.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

I have Oxford hot grips. Can fault them, they get very hot on the top setting and have 10 steps of how warm you want them. They also have a battery saver mode if you forget to turn them off after parking up.

However all grips will only heat the palm of your hand and maybe fingers of you don't need to use the levers for a while. 

Heater gloves might be a better option especially if you don't plan on keeping your bike for long.

Or if you have more than one :thumb: 

Or...

Ride in Scotland 🥶

• Like 2

Oxford hot grips, on the bike all the time.

Find gloves to fit and design with heated elements are a huge compromise in every way possible, batteries to weigh down and find placment, go flat, charge the things, cellss die, wires to break, high price, not for me.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Oxford hot grips, on the bike all the time.

Find gloves to fit and design with heated elements are a huge compromise in every way possible, batteries to weigh down and find placment, go flat, charge the things, cellss die, wires to break, high price, not for me.

Aren't you the grumpy one.... Grumpy Cat Annoyed Face GIF

• Like 2

Yep, another for Oxford hot grips.  Used them before without any problems, but as with all grips, only did a good job at keeping the palms of my hands warm.  Riding year round I found the heated gloves worked better for me and I haven't experienced any of the issues with them mentioned above.  I have Gerbing gloves, two years in now and no issues.

• Like 1

Now time to get contradicted:
Cheap Chinese £14.00 heated grips.
I installed 2 pairs yesterday, one set where 6 years old and probably failed due to my wiring!  
The other set are replacements for ones damaged (previous owner teenage boy with 125cc 🫣).  
I like the subtle control that isn’t the big Oxford box.
I have installed these on 4 bikes and had 1 set fail after 6 years.  yes you either install into wiring or through relay there is no Auto off.  However with the relay you can add lots more accessories USB charging anyone?
Yes I compliment them with these:
Cheap Chinese £2.35 copies of puppy grips.

but that’s a comfort choice.

So by my count that’s a £200 pound saving over cheap Oxfords over the years.

51 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

Stupid question incoming....

If you have Oxford hot grips, is it easy to and in wires for heated clothing afterwards. 

I don't think the 2 are interconnectable.  

However fit a relay and you can run whatever you want of it.

As long as you don't drain more than your alternator.

Presently I run my heated gilet (£30 on Amazon make sure you get one with chest and neck warmer) off a battery pack however was thinking why not just plug into spare usb point?

19 hours ago, husoi said:

Aren't you the grumpy one.... Grumpy Cat Annoyed Face GIF

😤🤭 nope just stating the facts from a question 🙄

Hot grips are ring wired to the battery, if you were to add heated clothing from any brand you care to find suitable (keis) you will have to see if the bolts on the battery are long enough and have enough room to allow more fittings (does the seat push down and trap wires?) unless you want to add a extension piggy back system.
Most of the time you will have JUST enough space and thread for the bikes needs, HG,HV and charger connection, any more and youll have to think of a less direct route attached on the battery.

13 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

With heated gloves, can you turn them down or off when you are on the move like you can with Hotgrips?

My Gerbing heated gloves have 3 heat settings that can be adjusted on the move through switches on the wrist of each glove.

Using batteries (although bulky) means I can easily hop between bikes.

50 minutes ago, Mickly said:

My Gerbing heated gloves have 3 heat settings that can be adjusted on the move through switches on the wrist of each glove.

Using batteries (although bulky) means I can easily hop between bikes.

So how do you work the switch on your left glove without taking you hand of the throttle? .. I only ask as I was talking to another biker today with heated gloves and he said he couldn't alter his while on the move as he had to hold the button for 3 seconds or so to make a change.

26 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

So how do you work the switch on your left glove without taking you hand of the throttle? .. I only ask as I was talking to another biker today with heated gloves and he said he couldn't alter his while on the move as he had to hold the button for 3 seconds or so to make a change.

True, you have to coast, takes 3 secs to turn them on, just a button push to change temp

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiBob said:

Some gloves are connected via Bluetooth so when you adjust one, the other changes too. Some have sensors built in to keep you at a set temp so not to get too hot or cold as go along. 

• Like 2