What do you put in your bike? E5 or E10

peepae

1 hour ago, geofferz said:

Probably marshy like mine? 

Depends on which part of the garden. The bit at the top close to the house is merely sodden, the area down by the stream is marshy and then some as is the field. 

For those adverse to using supermarket fuel - a mate who works in the refinery tells me that all petrol is the same. Tankers have separate internal tanks. The first is for Shell, the second for BP, the third for Esso, the fourth for Sainsburys, the fifth for Asda, the sixth for Morrisons etc......

The same fuel from the refinery goes into all the tanks. The only difference is the additives different brands add to the fuel. 

E10. I don't worry about petrol. aside from the price of course. but there's nothing I can do about that.

Was using E10 long before it became ubiquitous in this country on tour in France, as once you're away from civilisation that's mostly all you can buy.

There was and still is so much paranoia about it, but I don't subscribe to any of that. Actually the level of paranoia was even worse just a few short years ago. Its died down quite a bit, but hasn't completely gone away.

Every few months I seek out a SHELL as they sell seashells by the seashore... erm...

I'll try again.

Every few months I go to a Shell station and brim the tank with their E10. The call it fuel save and (I'm reliably informed) it contains a very good package of additives that will clean out the injection system and so on. It might cost me a £1 or 2 more for the full tank. but it makes me feel good inside and that's all that matters, makes me feel like Ive done something positive. Other than that I use whatever petrol I happen to be close to when the amber light comes on. If possible I will check on petrol prices and see if I can tie in one of the cheaper fuels with another errand. I tend to do this more when it's a proper refill rather than just a top-up.  Today the cheapest is £141.7 - though a better choice for me is £141.9 as its next to the big Aldi.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

E10. I don't worry about petrol. aside from the price of course. but there's nothing I can do about that.

Was using E10 long before it became ubiquitous in this country on tour in France, as once you're away from civilisation that's mostly all you can buy.

There was and still is so much paranoia about it, but I don't subscribe to any of that. Actually the level of paranoia was even worse just a few short years ago. Its died down quite a bit, but hasn't completely gone away.

Every few months I seek out a SHELL as they sell seashells by the seashore... erm...

I'll try again.

Every few months I go to a Shell station and brim the tank with their E10. The call it fuel save and (I'm reliably informed) it contains a very good package of additives that will clean out the injection system and so on. It might cost me a £1 or 2 more for the full tank. but it makes me feel good inside and that's all that matters, makes me feel like Ive done something positive. Other than that I use whatever petrol I happen to be close to when the amber light comes on. If possible I will check on petrol prices and see if I can tie in one of the cheaper fuels with another errand. I tend to do this more when it's a proper refill rather than just a top-up.  Today the cheapest is £141.7 - though a better choice for me is £141.9 as its next to the big Aldi.

The absolute cheapest for me is 145.9p unleaded :))))

On 29/11/2023 at 14:19, peepae said:

Wow, that is ridicously cheap

Yeah, and I can't see how they are making a profit at that price point. I know about loss leaders and all that, but I know that garage and whilst it does have tiny shop and general servicing & recovery workshop, I can't see cheap fuel being either to draw in enough punters for those facilities to make up the difference. Maybe they're just living hand to mouth until their finances improve. Either way, there are several other garages in north Shropshire whilst not selling unleaded that cheap, they are below the £1.40 mark.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 2

E5 only in mine (bikes or cars), and I will only use shell or Tescos due to the higher octane ratings (99 v’s BPs 97); I have become a bit particular with fuel after filling up a car with contaminated fuel >15 years ago and grenading an engine.

e5 and e10 petrol isn’t the same across brands and will differ in additives and ethanol content.  e5 is rated as 0-5% and e10 as 6-10% ethanol.  Esso were the only supplier offering e5 at 0% (it was regional) but this has changed in the last 12-18 months and they have said they can no longer guarantee 0% in their super unleaded. 

the downsides of ethanol is it can perish older rubbers or plastic tanks and absorbs water so not great if left for long periods

upsides, it’s a renewable fuel source so helps keep the cost down and allows us to run petrol powered vehicles for longer and has a lower burn temp so can be ( old rubber/plastic contact issues aside) beneficial for air cooled bikes… 

The only difference, other than price (my local shell is taking the pi…), I seem to have noticed between tesco and shell is my exhausts seem to be sootier with tesco fuel which I understand has a higher ethonal content.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MDUBZ said:

E5 only in mine (bikes or cars), and I will only use shell or Tescos due to the higher octane ratings (99 v’s BPs 97); I have become a bit particular with fuel after filling up a car with contaminated fuel >15 years ago and grenading an engine.

e5 and e10 petrol isn’t the same across brands and will differ in additives and ethanol content.  e5 is rated as 0-5% and e10 as 6-10% ethanol.  Esso were the only supplier offering e5 at 0% (it was regional) but this has changed in the last 12-18 months and they have said they can no longer guarantee 0% in their super unleaded. 

the downsides of ethanol is it can perish older rubbers or plastic tanks and absorbs water so not great if left for long periods

upsides, it’s a renewable fuel source so helps keep the cost down and allows us to run petrol powered vehicles for longer and has a lower burn temp so can be ( old rubber/plastic contact issues aside) beneficial for air cooled bikes… 

The only difference, other than price (my local shell is taking the pi…), I seem to have noticed between tesco and shell is my exhausts seem to be sootier with tesco fuel which I understand has a higher ethonal content.

I recall the issue of contaminated fuel. Though I was not affected my sister in law’s car needed significant work doing - paid for by the fuel supplier. It was a localised - to the south of England - issue manifested in supermarkets. Tesco being one of them and the reason why we avoided supermarket fuel for some years. Even now I rarely use supermarket fuel.

Fuel contamination 2008

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

I run the Kawasaki on e10 ,did try a couple of tanks of e5, it did seem to improve consumption very marginally maybe 1-2 mpg better,but offset this against the extra cost and I was worse off. Bike didn't run any better or worse.

I put e5 in all the classic bikes as they sit around for long periods between runs and as said older plastics and rubbers dislike ethanol.

My M3 is designed to run on super unleaded but will happily use e10 as it has knock control, however some in the M community will only put e5 in their cars fearing they will immediately grenade their engine if you put the devils fuel in, and it must be Shell or Tesco super whatever their preference is,nothing else will do.. Lots of tests have been done to show a marginal increase in power using e5 which if you were on a track and using every last hp then it's worth it, but for just trundling around on the road its a waste of money IMO. When you smash through a gallon in less that 30 miles every penny a litre adds up.

I've had my M3 for 4.5 years ,done 19k miles almost exclusively on e10 and its been fine

• Like 2

to add a bobber isnt a rev hungry or a mega power house unit, more like a car engine so triumph would have been daft not to try and design it to run best off E10.

Longer term for some units being if engine cant tell or adjust for get the best burn cycle possible is the potential higher risk of carbon buildup /choking. Which case if the unit falls into that category, fuel additives in the fuel to clean / super unleaded every few fill ups to reduce or slightly less effective (also costlier depending on oil) is more regular oil changes.
if your a pcp bitch its not your problem but If your gonna keep the bike/car or longer ownership, it might be worth adjusting service or own maintenance as required.

Long and short of it is - If your bike can run on E10, you're using the bike all year round and it seems better for it ok then just keep to that. If anything different adjust accordingly.

• Like 1

Ethanol doesn't produce soot when burnt. it's a very simple molecule. Carbon Dioxide and Water is all you get.

This is a long standing myth that's been put about by supporters (usually paid) by the oil industry.. especially in America.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 10:28, RideWithStyles said:

to add a bobber isnt a rev hungry or a mega power house unit, more like a car engine so triumph would have been daft not to try and design it to run best off E10.

Longer term for some units being if engine cant tell or adjust for get the best burn cycle possible is the potential higher risk of carbon buildup /choking. Which case if the unit falls into that category, fuel additives in the fuel to clean / super unleaded every few fill ups to reduce or slightly less effective (also costlier depending on oil) is more regular oil changes.
if your a pcp bitch its not your problem but If your gonna keep the bike/car or longer ownership, it might be worth adjusting service or own maintenance as required.

Long and short of it is - If your bike can run on E10, you're using the bike all year round and it seems better for it ok then just keep to that. If anything different adjust accordingly.

The engine in the Bobber is the same as in the Thruxton. The biggest market is the States where octane levels tend to be lower. Several guys I know in the US report that they've had running issues if the use super unleaded, which disappear when reverting to standard octane fuel. 

Soooo is that confirmed what i said? 🤔

On 01/12/2023 at 15:12, Gerontious said:

Ethanol doesn't produce soot when burnt. it's a very simple molecule. Carbon Dioxide and Water is all you get.

This is a long standing myth that's been put about by supporters (usually paid) by the oil industry.. especially in America.

Soot (mostly diesel problem) or particularly our problem being petrol is commonly choked/carbon building up is if the burn is not complete enough along with poor maintenance...

I don't use either but use aspen instead, works well in my ride on tractor for mother in laws garden and they do two types specifically for motorcycles,  doesn't go off for years and my husband can get with discount through work, happy days, runs clean and my classic bike loves it, probably not cost effective for high mileage, but for me pottering around works a treat 

On 28/11/2023 at 14:15, Fiddlesticks said:

I always use E5. Not sure why, but in the unlikely event that it causes the planet to be less nithering this time of year, I'll count it a bonus.

What's nithering ?

On 29/11/2023 at 16:07, Capt Sisko said:

Yeah, and I can't see how they are making a profit at that price point. I know about loss leaders and all that, but I know that garage and whilst it does have tiny shop and general servicing & recovery workshop, I can't see either of those drawing in enough punters to make up the difference. Maybe they're just living hand to mouth until their finances improve. Either way, there are several other garages in north Shropshire whilst not selling unleaded that cheap, they are below the £1.40 mark.

Maybe they sell hard drugs under the counter ? You could ask...