What do you put in your bike? E5 or E10

peepae

Bikes' engine management systems can't adapt to E5 so you won't get any better performance.  In fact it can be slightly worse. A petrochemical engineer explained to me that to enable E5 to boost performance and fuel economy in higher performance car engines it has a flame retardant so the ignition timing can be advanced.

On bikes without adaptive ignition timing this can cause the engine to slightly lose power. It explained why I always felt my Bobber runs better on E10. 

Some say it lasts better over the winter if you don't ride as much but I've found E10 lasts fine. 

So I'm sticking with E10.

4 minutes ago, janinej said:

What is the difference between E5 and E10?  Why is it more expensive than the other?

JJ

It has more octane / petrol and less ethanol which is why it's more expensive. I don't know the exact differences and how it all works of course.

2 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Bikes' engine management systems can't adapt to E5 so you won't get any better performance.  In fact it can be slightly worse. A petrochemical engineer explained to me that to enable E5 to boost performance and fuel economy in higher performance car engines it has a flame retardant so the ignition timing can be advanced.

On bikes without adaptive ignition timing this can cause the engine to slightly lose power. It explained why I always felt my Bobber runs better on E10. 

Some say it lasts better over the winter if you don't ride as much but I've found E10 lasts fine. 

So I'm sticking with E10.

Ah damn, I didn't realise that. I got swept up in the hype and my motorcycle instructors all said put premium in your own bike!!

E5 petrol is made up of 95 per cent unleaded petrol plus 5 per cent ethanol (which is why it's named 'E5'). E10 petrol is much more beneficial to the environment, containing 10% ethanol and 90% regular unleaded petrol – and was introduced to help the government meet its climate change targets.

The Gov.uk website gives you a good idea, look up E10 Fuel Compatibility and it will tell you. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained#compatibility

E5, as its an Old bike with carbs.

as nick said but additional:

again that is dependent on when and what your bike was designed to and made to do. what hardware (carb, injected) and/or software (various ecu and sensors capabilities) if applicable you have which will determine if and what it makes out of it...so if your ecu and sensors are modern enough they can adjust accordingly to whats going on in your engine.

the E5 is simply a modern fuels version of a Super unleaded, more refined with extra additives made in smaller batches.

where as the E10 has less synthetic additives, Massive batches with more renewable sources with the green label.
they burn differently, so thats why some cars and bikes can react differently.

just to bring up a similar thing in the car world between a mitsubishi evo and sub imprezas they generally had to run on super unleaded (otherwise they ran very poorly and got choked up) but funny enough depending on which brand of car you went for largely dictating the brand of fuel the car ran better again on, off memory i think it was imps on shell and evos on bp. 

my bike seems really happy on the coop/esso fuel. Less so the tesco stuff.

Edited by RideWithStyles

E5 is the recently old 95 Ron. 5% Ethanol 
They then brought out E10 - 10% Ethanol. 

E10 cost the same as E5 used to do and they put E5 up. Then everything went up!

I use E10 in my car but am getting less mpg now. 

Edited by fullscreenaging

11 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

E5 is the recently old 95 Ron. 5% Ethanol 
They then brought out E10 - 10% Ethanol. 

E10 cost the same as E5 used to do and they put E5 up. Then everything went up!

I use E10 in my car but am getting less mpg now. 

The cost of additional sourcing and whole process.

Thats your hit, Mpg costs are to save emissions so every little helps. ☺️

I use E10 as the Suzuki is made to use it.

However on some older bikes and cars it is recommended to use E5. This is because the additional 5% ethanol in the E10 can damage some of the rubber, plastics etc that was used in older, classic vehicles. 
The ethanol is also hygroscopic, this is why it is suggested to fill up with E5 to layup the vehicle for long periods as the fuel will absorb less water.

13 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Sorry should have said Yamaha recommend you use E10. You can use E5 and should get 5 to 10% more mpg and a marginal power gain.

Yeah I don't know anymore.. anyway the Tesco 99 momentum near me is only 4p more than the Sainsburys E10 and as such I've just been going to the Tesco.

Seems to be running better but honestly placebo effect is very possible too.