Has the world Sped up?

Stingy1

Driving around , the last couple of yrs , I have noticed a change in car drivers attitude. In a 30 limit , tends to be nose to tail cars flying around at , I would guess, an average of 50mph. Regardless of visibility , road grip (frost) ....braking at the last second coming up to a junction , giving me a heart attack when on bike (or in car!) Or pulling out without stopping. Seems to be a mad panic throughout the day now , cars flying around with any type of driver....school run, grannies, old or young blokes. And, they all seem to be blank faced unaware of the real scenario. That's if not in a rage trying to overtake the car doing 30, in a 30 limit. It's like the world has suddenly sped up.....or the COVID jabs have f#cked their little brains up.

27 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

I’ve found the opposite in my town. 

A lot of drivers sat doing 20 to 25 on main roads that are 30 limits. 

Does my head in!

I'm with you on this. I hardly ever see anyone going at the posted speed limit, let alone faster than. Find it really frustrating particularly if I'm in the car as I've virtually no chance of getting past. At least on the bike I have the option usually. 

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

I'm with you on this. I hardly ever see anyone going at the posted speed limit, let alone faster than. Find it really frustrating particularly if I'm in the car as I've virtually no chance of getting past. At least on the bike I have the option usually. 

They’ve just installed average speed camera on the A689 past Carlisle airport. I’m going to hazard a guess that there will be few fines ‘cos most days the traffic is driving at 50mph along there. Good news is I get to practice overtaking when on the bike.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stingy1 said:

Must be just my area. Other place I've noticed is Herefordshire. Nutters there in cars

Does seem a bit like that round here - Banner Lane is now a 30MPH limit ( down from a 40 & has been for a while ) you wanna try driving at the limit & you’ll get tailgated, flashed & dangerously overtaken - can be funny when they get stuck at the lights & I go passed in the filter lane turning right.

Edited by Mickly

32 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Does seem a bit like that round here - Banner Lane is now a 30MPH limit ( down from a 40 & has been for a while ) you wanna try driving at the limit & you’ll get tailgated, flashed & dangerously overtaken - can be funny when they get stuck at the lights & I go passed in the filter lane turning right.

Yep , you seen the hill into meriden now.....30! 

As was previously said, it seems to be the exact opposite here, people doing 20 - 30 in a 60 zone causing massive tailbacks.  One area I have noticed what you allude to would have to be the dual carriageway, coming off the M6, by passing Lancaster heading towards Heysham.  The local council have put a 40mph speed limit there, and if you do 40mph, you find cars and lorries racing up behind and overtaking you.  Why they've put a 40mph limit on a dual carriageway god only knows!  One thing I have noticed since lockdowns ended, driving standards among a lot of people, of all ages, definitely appears to have got worse.  The attitudes of some road users stinks, and I include pedestrians, cyclists and drivers in that one, there seems to be a massive decline in mutual respect and tolerance.

Edited by manxie49
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

As was previously said, it seems to be the exact opposite here, people doing 20 - 30 in a 60 zone causing massive tailbacks.  One area I have noticed what you allude to would have to be the dual carriageway, coming off the M6, by passing Lancaster heading towards Heysham.  The local council have put a 40mph speed limit there, and if you do 40mph, you find cars and lorries racing up behind and overtaking you.  Why they've put a 40mph limit on a dual carriageway god only knows!  One thing I have noticed since lockdowns ended, driving standards among a lot of people, of all ages, definitely appears to have got worse.  The attitudes of some road users stinks, and I include pedestrians, cyclists and drivers in that one, there seems to be a massive decline in mutual respect and tolerance.

Correct . Selfish morons everywhere. Hence rise in KSI accidents

Edited by Stingy1

1 hour ago, Stingy1 said:

Hence rise in KSI accidents

Golden opportunity for me to be a bit of a nob:

If you take out the lockdown years (2020, and 2021) KSIs for 2022 are 3% down on 2019. Same for just the fatalities. 2023 figures aren't yet out*. 

But perhaps the figures for your area are different.

link to gov.uk

8 minutes ago, bonio said:

Golden opportunity for me to be a bit of a nob:

If you take out the lockdown years (2020, and 2021) KSIs for 2022 are 3% down on 2019. Same for just the fatalities. 2023 figures aren't yet out*. 

But perhaps the figures for your area are different.

link to gov.uk

Going by national statistics I have read regarding bikes only. Perhaps it was misinformation 

2 minutes ago, Stingy1 said:

Going by national statistics I have read regarding bikes only. Perhaps it was misinformation 

Overall stats include pedestrians and cyclists. Car and motorcycles are up 

Edited by Stingy1
  • Like 1

@Stingy1 Thanks for setting me right :-) hadn't seen the breakdown.

I seem to remember figures for cyclists went up significantly during covid, because cycling suddenly became trendy. So perhaps the decrease reflects people giving it up now life is returning to normal.

Just now, bonio said:

@Stingy1 Thanks for setting me right :-) hadn't seen the breakdown.

I seem to remember figures for cyclists went up significantly during covid, because cycling suddenly became trendy. So perhaps the decrease reflects people giving it up now life is returning to normal.

The stats are due to rise in cars violating right of way of motorcyclists apparantly . And lot of car drivers are killing themselves losing control . There are way less motorcycles on the road yr by yr also. From 300000 new bike sales to 100000 in the last few yrs. MOT tester told me he rarely sees bikes doing more than 400 miles in a yr now , and the riders are getting older. The statistics should in fact be falling but due to car driving habits , drug driving , illegal drivers causing mayhem that have never had a licence in this country , the overall picture is grim. It won't be long before the majority suffer due to minority of idiots. And lack of police . Scammeras don't get the illegal unregistered drivers , or signs saying "slow down 30" . Morons react the opposite to that with their smirking low i.q mates in car . Shame .

• Like 1

It's an eye opener if you ever drive from Coventry to Oxford country route via Shipston on Stour. Once you get past Shipston, it's a free for all . I do it regular and how some cars have the grip in wet around blind bends at prob 80 plus beyond me. Always close to disaster some are 

Plenty of ar*eholes about, was mostly german brands but they have spread out to sister brands to fail at showing how much less retarded they are, others are out to clueless mfs.
Tall Suv ar*eholes have near sighted tunnel vison (fail to know that 20 or 30s exist but fail miserably to go more than 50 anywhere else or think the world road doesn't loads further ahead than 200feet like in the old OUT RUN games.

mfs dont need led death rays!! Especially the real morons in the F FING TESLAS. Ban those headlights!

head lights!

Edited by RideWithStyles

It's driving standard / disregard for others and rules of the road that's the problem, it's certainly on the rise

I see speeding, bizarre overtaking, non existent lane discipline and complete disregard for just about everything on a daily basis.

Police unless you run one off the road or happen across a camera van or speed trap do bugger all.

We followed a patrol car sitting in the middle lane of a motorway following another car for miles, they were too busy sat chuntering away to each other, after sitting in the left lane following them we eventually over took them both, I glared at them when we went past,just looked and carried on, they could fund a new patrol car every day on the A1 up north alone on one road in a 5mile stretch.

Red light disregard is becoming down right dangerous.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

Plenty of ar*eholes about, was mostly german brands but they have spread out to sister brands to fail at showing how much less retarded they are, others are out to clueless mfs.
Tall Suv ar*eholes have near sighted tunnel vison (fail to know that 20 or 30s exist but fail miserably to go more than 50 anywhere else or think the world road doesn't loads further ahead than 200feet like in the old OUT RUN games.

mfs dont need led death rays!! Especially the real morons in the F FING TESLAS. Ban those headlights!

head lights!

Don't have a Tesla but son does and wife has a Lexus and if I'm on a rural road I want lights that work not candles in jam jars which some cars have. 

Ohhh dont get me started!!! proper triggers me.

to all middle lane hogging dead brained crietins. 6months ban if you need the car,2 for some dithering oap etc and 2k fine.

less bikers about as more noobs still on their phone or fooking about with the cars over necessary information (dash/ clocks while driving. fine of 50k which leads to a minimum 12 points and ban for 5 years minimum. 

sister in laws Peugeot clocks /info dash crashes/dies instantly alot so she doesn't have the option to use it but she still drives it even if its now working 😠

I drive an X5, a z3 , and bikes. I respect everyone at junctions. I look several times, even in wife's beetle. But see so many daft bast*rds weaving on motorways. Overtake them and Mrs if got phone points it at them as they are texting. Always , if weaving it's texters. Fu""king idiots. Find if I'm in z3 , they come close up behind. In X5 they overtake, see my dashcam and shit themselves as I might be police. And......try driving on small heath highway around Brum. Lots nasty shits that don't give a toss. Wrong uns that really don't care if they kill you

• Like 1