Washing the bike without running water

mealexme

As per title really.

I bought the bike months ago and I've been treating it with scotoiler FS 365 or whatever its called to prevent rust. It says to use on a clean or dirty bike as it nuetulises salt etc.

It seems to wash off as soon as it rains though, so I want to give the bike a good wash and use a different rust preventing product.

I've got some heavy duty cleaner, but no way of rinsing it off because I live in a flat with no running water.

How does everyone without access to a hose rinse the bike off?

I don't want to use the waterless wash stuff, because I really want to get into everywhere and remove road salt etc

Edited by mealexme

I assume that by having no running water you mean you don't have access to a hosepipe ? as opposed to you don't have access to water

When I am washing my bike out in the front garden I use a plastic basin with some water and washing up liquid and a sponge

I use a watering can to rinse it off afterwards  ( sure you could get a basin and watering can in the pound shop )

I know some do not like to use washing up liquid as it has salt in it but i'm not that bothered 

Sometimes I will get out the hosepipe and run it down the side of the house and give the bike a good wash but 9 times out of ten I just use the basin and watering can 

Edited by V650
  • Like 2

As above. Big bucket of hot water and a sponge. Couple of big buckets of clean lukewarm water to rinse. 

You can buy waterless wash for cleaning in between the big washes. I found this prolongs the big washes unless it gets really filthy 

Here’s an example. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/524006

Go through the site though if you choose to buy from SBS

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

I've never been to the carwash with the bike as I've heard they're not good for bikes with exposed electrics and it already has enough electrical gremlins. Also, it's an old bike with some flaking paint.

And yes, I did mean I don't have a hose pipe 😂

I did think about just rinsing with a bucket of water (that's what I do with the car) but I want to get under the bike to clean it properly and I want to make sure everything is rinsed off before I put some (admitadly overdue) winter protection on her

I'll probably get one of those hand pressure washers, cheers Stu

• Like 1

Do you have a way to store water somewhere? 

Could you use a water butt? You could even plumb it in to the drain pipes and use rainwater if you would be allowed to 

A lot of jet washers will run off a water butt 

A jet wash won't hurt a bike either despite what the others claim 

• Like 1

On 03/12/2023 at 10:02, Stu said:

I found those hand pump things were not up to the job during the winter months.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Can't see any reason why not.

I have seen people use sea water to wash off muck and salt deposits - sounds counter-intuitive but apparently it works. If you want to completely clear the salt afterwards a bit of fresh water will easily shift the last of it.

Im not sure what I would do in these circumstances. Being a tight git I wouldn't want to be spending much. So. a bucket for the warm sudsy water and probably a watering can - with a fine rose, for rinsing. Would be a bit of a pain if there are stairs to contend with - accidents can and do happen. Ideally I would be searching for a local car wash - with hose. DIY rather than manned and do it there.

I don't bother with the anti corrosion treatment each year. I don't think it's necessary for modern bikes. not much on my bike is exposed metal. nearly everything is either painted or stainless. so, perhaps some odd fixings might eventually show some signs of corrosion and if so, then it would be a good excuse to replace them with the appropriate grade of stainless steel. or rub them down and give them a lick of oil when I do the chain. or perhaps take them out, clean them up and give the head a spray with black hammerite. or similar.

But, I've not noticed that so far. 5 years and kept outside. it's too easy to become overly precious about these things. I reckon. A spot of rust on a bolt isn't the end of the world  (as we know it) and is easily fixed.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Im not sure what I would do in these circumstances. Being a tight git I wouldn't want to be spending much. So. a bucket for the warm sudsy water and probably a watering can - with a fine rose, for rinsing. Would be a bit of a pain if there are stairs to contend with - accidents can and do happen. Ideally I would be searching for a local car wash - with hose. DIY rather than manned and do it there.

I don't bother with the anti corrosion treatment each year. I don't think it's necessary for modern bikes. not much on my bike is exposed metal. nearly everything is either painted or stainless. so, perhaps some odd fixings might eventually show some signs of corrosion and if so, then it would be a good excuse to replace them with the appropriate grade of stainless steel. or rub them down and give them a lick of oil when I do the chain. or perhaps take them out, clean them up and give the head a spray with black hammerite. or similar.

But, I've not noticed that so far. 5 years and kept outside. it's too easy to become overly precious about these things. I reckon. A spot of rust on a bolt isn't the end of the world  (as we know it) and is easily fixed.

Think this depends on who put the bolts on your bike!!  I believe in Honda but Yamaha likes to put cheap fixings in hehe on a lot of their bikes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

I've had the bike about 6 months. Its 20 years old and came to me with no rust and has loads now (mainly on the bolts admitadly).

I do have a sea view though, and park right on the sea wall at work, so salt is always in the air.

I dunno, I never had a problem with my old Honda or kawazaki, but this suzuki and my last suzuki both rusted pretty quickly when being left outside, so maybe it's a brand thing

On 04/12/2023 at 17:28, Throttled said:

I found those hand pump things were not up to the job during the winter months.

They work for me, in deep dark winter you just have to wipe down a bit more..