Skip hire - how much?

Steve_M

We’ve just been quoted £380 for the hire of a “2 yard” skip. When we first arrived at this house we were hiring “6 yard” skips for under £300.

As we’ll be generating under 1.5 cu m of rubble and be bagging it up into rubble sacks and disposing bag by bag over the next year or so, or waiting until we need our next skip in 2025 when we will be producing a much larger pile of rubble. 

Still a bit shocked at the increase in costs of everything we need for the renovation, but this is a tin lid. 

Now I no longer have the Mitsubishi Delica I bag it up, hire a van and take it to the tip myself. Where we are you can take hire vans in a few times a year, as long as you book.

43 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

We’ve just been quoted £380 for the hire of a “2 yard” skip. When we first arrived at this house we were hiring “6 yard” skips for under £300. 

Maybe it's just down to a lack of competition in your area. picked a random skip hire in my area and a 4 yard for brick waste is £198

this particular company doesn't offer a 2 yard for that type of waste.

Around £120 here in West Yorkshire.  I know prices have gone up for everything but I think you have been given a bad quote :shock:

Alternative would be the guys that collect the rubbish for you instead of a skip.

As said above. Maybe better to hire a van and DIY it. Make sure the guys at the tip don't think you're a builder.

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Alternative would be the guys that collect the rubbish for you instead of a skip.

As said above. Maybe better to hire a van and DIY it. Make sure the guys at the tip don't think you're a builder.

I would be concerned that the guys who collect and dispose have the relevant licensing. There are some dodgy characters around and I’ll aware that there’s been a some flytipping hereabouts.

Chaps. Thanks for the input. The company we got an online quote from pretty well have a monopoly around here. The fact that we’re a little off the beaten track probably adds to the cost, too.

We’re looking at alternatives. 

• Like 1

I bag and take all the stuff I can to the tip, only time I didn't was putting garage in and had about 20t of soil to shift, was cheaper getting local grab man in than skips, took some piling up in the front garden though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve_M said:

We’ve just been quoted £380 for the hire of a “2 yard” skip. 

Way to much. If I was paying that, it would have a full compliment of greedy boards. We moved over to Grab waggons £280 + VAT - 10 tonnes. I think your location might have something to do with it too. 

• Like 1

Well I had to stump up £385 to have a thermometer stuck up my dog’s arse and a pack of canine antacids. 

In future I’ll just hire a skip for £380 and lob her in it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4