Very high cholesterol

Tiggie

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Having returned the tiny terrorists to their long suffering parents we now have the debris to clear away. This includes all the uneaten cookies and donuts and stuff. That's my sensible eating blown out of the water for the next few days. Bugger.

We have had the grandkids this weekend and there is a ton of stuff left over.

415841759_913003150345751_7977950051434079389_n.jpg

My Wife and youngest daughter are going to enjoy them :crybaby:

• Haha 4

Rome wasn't built in a day is the famous saying isn't it, so don't expect results immediately is what I'm trying to say. 

Over the years the 3 main things l have managed to cut out are..

Salt, you can't eradicate it completely but you can cut back, you don't need to sprinkle it over everything . Bad for your blood pressure.

Dairy, most of it, certainly milks and heavy creams anyway. I have butter as an occasional treat, very little cheese. Go plant based it's cheaper too if you get the unsweetened soya milk.

Alcohol. This is the one that has made the biggest difference. We drank too much we binge drank, one day we decided to have a weekend off and it stuck. All my gut problems went away. 

I'm surprised your grandkids aren't bouncing off the walls with all that processed junk you give them.

Good luck with it all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

I'm surprised your grandkids aren't bouncing off the walls with all that processed junk you give them.

Maybe they are ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bit of an interesting update.

Had a GP appointment today to discuss my levels and she isn't overly concerned. Although my cholesterol levels are high my total level to HDL isn't that bad. If I was 10 years older or heavier she might of raised an eyebrow but has told me for now to just to cut back on the crap, eat a bit healthier, drink less, walk to work etc and to retest in 6 months

Also told me it helps if I can get my partner to join in with me on the healthier eating and exercise. Assuming I'll be back to see her next week with some form of poisoning or blunt trauma related injury after I mention that to the Wife.

I swear I was looking around for Jeremy Beadles ghost when she suggested I tell my Wife to go on a diet and exercise :shock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

45 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

partner to join in with me on the healthier eating and exercise.

I tired that, the reply was fu*k off i'm watchin emmerdale

Having just had a Ginsters pastie, I maybe should not be preaching this.

However presently listening to my first audio book for the last week, Ultra Processed People. 

Turns out it's free on Spotify Prime.  Cannot say I am absorbing as much as I would from a book.  However the listening is interesting.

When it comes to shopping I am already looking at what we buy and reading more ingredients.

• Like 2

I saw a bag of frozen chicken strips in Asda (chicken pieces, not breaded etc) and the ingredients just said Chicken. Looked at the extra tasty ones next to it and the ingredients said Chicken, sugar, paprika, caramelised sugar......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/02/2024 at 11:05, Tiggie said:

Just a little update.

I'm now down from 96kg to 88kg (  15st 11lbs to 13st 8lbs for the oldies)  Pretty much just from eating better and cutting out sweets, alcohol, food at work.  Wife bought me a home testing meter from Amazon ( stab your finger, put blood on a strip, run it through the scanner ) and it currently says I'm at 5.7 so still a bit to go but a shit load better than 7.1 :lol:  I'm now in the high bracket as compared to very high.

PXL_20240206_162528239.jpg

Is that before or after Ice Cream 🍦

Amazing how much a decent meal can change it.

• Haha 1

Just had my blood tests back - a yearly thing to keep tabs on any PSA movement as I have an enlarged prostate and a couple of other issues so I get the full works.

PSA - fine

Cholesterol - 4.9 ok at the mo but watch out

Sugar levels ( Diabetes check ) 49 - down 2 points from last time and going in the right direction, another 2 point reduction to get out of the diabetic range.

Liver & Kidney functions all good.

The Nurse then took my blood pressure didn’t believe the 1st reading and took it again, nope both the same 210/109 … suddenly things went very serious, I said I suffer from stage fright so I went and took it with the machine in the waiting room which gave a figure if 157/87, still bad but not immediate intervention serious, got a machine to take it daily for a week then report back, see what happens 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Did the nurse took into account the NAF?

Nurse age factor, if she's under 30 your pressure will go through the roof :thumb: 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, husoi said:

Did the nurse took into account the NAF?

Nurse age factor, if she's under 30 your pressure will go through the roof :thumb: 

Interesting point, it was a new nurse, the last one - let’s see if I can put this politely without being accused of ‘ismness’ … was obviously good at her job but did nothing to make my heart pound. The new one …. 😘

So maybe there’s something in that !! 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I have "white coat phobia" and when anyone officially takes my BP it's always at least 10 points higher than usual. Regardless of the nurse or doctor doing it.

I think that happens to a lot of folk. The same thing happened to my wife on a recent check up. Sent her home with a bp kit and she had to log it over a week, all perfectly normal at home.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I have "white coat phobia" and when anyone officially takes my BP it's always at least 10 points higher than usual. Regardless of the nurse or doctor doing it.

well if it as a really nice nurse 😍you'll probably pop most vessels and arteries eh before they start. lol.

29 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

I think that happens to a lot of folk. The same thing happened to my wife on a recent check up. Sent her home with a bp kit and she had to log it over a week, all perfectly normal at home.

Definitely.  My resting heart rate is in the high 50's usually but at the doctors it was in the 90's while sat in the waiting room. I was doing breathing exercises to try and get it down before I went in :lol:

• Like 1

This reminds me last time I went to see the GP.

He asked me how I was feeling.

"I'm at the doctors, what you think?" 

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

• Haha 1