What is the wisest route to take when learning to ride?

Hello,

I've been stuck between two options for quite a while now and I would love to have some advice.

I am new to riding and would like to know the best/ smartest course of action to become a good rider. I am 19 so I have two routes. Do my CBT, buy a 125cc and gain some road experience for a few months until I have enough money to fund lessons or courses towards my A2 license. Alternatively, I can skip on the 125cc and spend that money on an intense course going straight for my A2 test. I have the money to do either one  but not for both of them so what would be the wisest route?

Need some advice from experienced riders or riders who have been in the same position as me before.

Thanks a lot!

Go with option 1.

You're young and plenty of time to learn how to ride properly if you're wise and don't start trying to go faster than Rossi.

Experience and caution will take you far and safe.

Keep in mind that you still have to deal with insurance costs that will be cheaper on option 1.

I do believe maintenance on a 125 is cheaper than the 4 stroke counter parts.

Having said that, I'm sure I will be contradicted 1000 times by bikers that have/had 125s 

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice, I've seen so many contradicting advices online some people saying 125 experience is essential and others saying just don't waste time and go for the A2 without picking up bad habits from riding 125 etc.

what would be the most appropriate 125cc to start off with? From my own research Honda CB125F, YBR and YZF seemed like a good bike for practice. 

I'm a honda man and don't think about changing it. :) 

I never had a 125 so I'm not the best person to advise you on that.

Over to you guys :thumb: 

Either way has advantages but the quickest way to start on 2 wheels is the CBT and a 125. Make sure you get a Japanese one and avoid Chinese like the plague. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Either way has advantages but the quickest way to start on 2 wheels is the CBT and a 125. Make sure you get a Japanese one and avoid Chinese like the plague. 

If forced to choose I would always recommend the big bike sooner option over experience in 125 after a brief cbt... 

I had a small bike before getting my full licence.  I'd encourage you to get a 125/do a CBT, if only because you can do one now and get on a motorcycle - this was something that motivated me.  The idea of weeks of training, difficult tests and lots of money didn't really appeal to me.

Once I'd got on a small bike and ridden it around a bit there was no way I wasn't getting my full licence eventually - when the opportunity presented itself I had all the motivation to get it, plus I'd had a bike to ride around on in the meantime.

Really the only person that can decide is you.

Edited by _amw_
  • Like 1

Go by realistic goals, long term achievements, willing to learn from peers without a self pretentious attitude and actual self assessment of mental self control go A2.

In other words if you have lack of control, stupid tendencies and no self preservation stick to 125s at the most until you can.

as Westy says which ever route you go just do everybody a favour research the brands and dont get a Chinese bike/affiliated/built bike....just dont.

• Like 2

If you were older, I'd say go for the full A licence straight off, but given that route isn't available to you, then probably CBT and 125. Then upgrade whenever you feel the 125 has run out of charm.

As for bike, you won't go wrong with a Honda. The YZF will probably have most beans.

A few years ago a young lad came with us to Germany. He had an A2 license and was riding a Honda 500. From what I remember he asked the same question and did the sums and it worked out very slightly cheaper to go for the A2 and it came down to insurance. As well as his albeit brief experience on a 125 when he did his CBT at the very start of the process. His enthusiasm went through the roof when he got to ride a 500 for his A2. He was so impressed he bought the same bike after passing. His insurance for that bike was actually less than for a 125cc. The bike cost only a little more than the 125 too. A little bit more in monthly payments I mean.

i know it’s very common for people to start with a 125 as that’s the way it’s been since 1982 - but when A2 training came along. These old ideas don’t really stick anymore and really the only reason that I can see in favour of starting from scratch with a 125 is due to your budget.

but if your budget gives you the choice - then my question is why wouldn’t you?  I think it’s 5 years until you can move up? Or is it 2. It doesn’t matter - there’s a wait.

why wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it was me I'd go for the bigger bike. The OP is old enough for direct to A2 but between deciding to start the process and getting the licence would be at least weeks and maybe months. If you are desperate to get on to 2 wheels the CBT is still quickest. Also what are you planning to do with the bike? 125 maybe enough in the short term. Bigger bike is always going to be more fun though and probably safer too.

Edited by S-Westerly

If I've correctly understood the original post, you're looking at a choice between CBT and buying a 125 OR working towards your A2 but not having money to buy a bike.

It's some decades since I was 19 but in those days it would have been the first option every time for me - that way you get to ride.

If you can afford to do A2 AND buy a bike then its a trickier decision.

You can buy a second hand 125 sensibly and then, if you look after it, you shouldn't lose much money on it when you later want to upgrade. If you have mechanical skills, you could even buy one needing a little work and perhaps make a little money.

It's quite easy to have lots of fun and learn loads on a 125.

Edited by Hairsy
  • Like 1

I have had 125s and frankly they scare me. So I'd go the A2 route and get a bigger bike. There are some great 300 / 400 / 500 bikes that have better handling, better brakes, better tyres, better suspension....without being so powerful they will bite you. 

If go the 125 route buy a used Japanese bike, look after it, and you'll get your money back when you sell it. 

Thats the problem the new system creates more problems than it actually solves of ownership by adding more steps than necessary... it doesnt teach safe road attitude which me personally i think is invaluable.

depends on what your long term thoughts are and not what you can accomplish but the worst things you personally think will get you into trouble... if you have no self control of speed demon acts then dont bother or just het the heavier or more likely a slower of the A2 (cruiser) you can... if te bike has a power limit on it you can just use that till you're happier but then again do you have naughty ideas of switching if off....if your not strong or tall enough for a bigger bike (again based on you as a person) or the price is to much to justify then used 125s or a light 250...pushing 300 might be the middle ground for you.