Filling up

I do like to have it on the centre stand so I can get it brim-full, but it's a bitch for me to get on the stand, and it always gets my heart racing because it feels like it's going to fall over. 

Whilst that's something I need to deal with, how do you guys do it? 

Do you sit on the bike and keep it upright to fill it, or maybe just leave it on the side stand and not get that extra 25ml in the tank?

I don't sit on it whilst filling it just in case I spill fuel onto a hot engine. It's unlikely to catch fire but then the Titanic was unlikely to sink on its maiden voyage. It's easier to run away when you're not sat on the bike.

I fill both on the side stand. The Bobber has the petrol cap offset anyway so when it's on the side stand the cap is at the top. Since it only holds 9 litres you need to make sure you fill it to the brim.

Getting a bike onto a centre stand shouldn't be an issue - what's causing you to think it's going to fall over?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I don't sit on it whilst filling it just in case I spill fuel onto a hot engine. It's unlikely to catch fire but then the Titanic was unlikely to sink on its maiden voyage. It's easier to run away when you're not sat on the bike.

I fill both on the side stand. The Bobber has the petrol cap offset anyway so when it's on the side stand the cap is at the top. Since it only holds 9 litres you need to make sure you fill it to the brim.

Getting a bike onto a centre stand shouldn't be an issue - what's causing you to think it's going to fall over?

Thanks for the reply. 

I think because it's so darned heavy, and because I'm out of practice, I usually take a couple of pulls to get it into the stand. As I'm doing so, it rocks about whilst coming up. 

I should say, I rock it about whilst I try to pull it up. 

I almost always fill up on the side stand. My bike's got a 25ltr tank, that's almost 5 1/2 gallons in old money and at 55mpg on motorways, 60+ if I'm just pootling around, that's a long way to go between stops even allowing for it not to be brim full. The tiddly bit of extra range I'd get by drip feeding just a tad more* into the tank is going to make sod all difference to me. My backside, muscles and more to the point bladder can't do that nowadays!

*As a matter of interest, how much extra do you get into the tank by using the centre stand and dribbling the extra.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sat on the bike once to fill it up, but it didn't feel like a good idea and haven't done it since. Better to use the centre stand.

My technique is to lower the bike onto the side stand first, get off, right foot on the centre stand tine, right hand on the passenger grab rail, left hand on the left grip. Get the bike up vertical and push down with right foot, this will force the feet of the stand onto the floor so it's nice and stable.

Then a little step up so all my weight is going directly downwards onto the tine. At the same time a little pull upwards with the right hand and it'll pop nicely on there.

Getting off the stand is fairly easy, but I almost always put it on the side stand before getting on or off because of the size and weight of the thing.

• Thanks 1

i try to pay at pump where possible so i dont have to get off the bike at all but if so no fuel comes out or owt.

Always sat on and level to fill up. nosle fully in, till trip out, lift in stages till its near the neck level or if its the cbf to the bar bracer. cap on and off... never had flames or flicks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capt Sisko said:

*As a matter of interest, how much extra do you get into the tank by using the centre stand and dribbling the extra.

No idea, I've only filled it twice 🤣

I shall have to fill it on the side stand for comparison.

Posted (edited)

Paying at the pump seems quite popular, at least that way there's no embarrassing screaming over the tannoy about removing the helmet etc. 

I think I need more centre stand practice too. 

Edited by Simon Davey

I'm amazed how many people think sitting astride a bike while filling it with fuel is a good idea! Never. 

I always fill on the sidestand. Tried the centrestand and didn't notice any difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it’s a pay at the pump I sit on the bike and use something called “care and attention” and brim it as I don’t want fuel on my lovely paintwork!! if it’s pay indoors then I usually use the side stand unless I need to brim it and will pop it onto the centre stand. Tend to brim it when I need that 300 worry free miles. Never really measured how much extra fuel can be squeezed in. But it’s definitely enough to warrant the extra effort. Bemused by the paranoia. You should see the conditions people fill there tanks in, in Italy!!

been doing it this way for quite some time. Nobody fried. Or died. Or… whatever. And my lovely paintwork is still lovely.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pull up. Side stand down. Open tank. Lean over and grab holster, insert and release.

• Like 1

Depends.

Setting out for a trip the bike goes on centre stand and filled up completely.

Arriving home just on the side stand.

When touring centre stand but not completely full.

Will stop before the tank goes empty, no much point spending precious time dripping petrol to get an extra mile. 🙂

• Like 1

I've been out there giving it a clean and a shine. 

Then had a few practice goes at getting it on the centre stand. 

There's a specific handle (not the pillion) but it's a bit tight for my fingers. 

Still, I'll keep trying until I get the technique correct. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

I've been out there giving it a clean and a shine. 

Then had a few practice goes at getting it on the centre stand. 

There's a specific handle (not the pillion) but it's a bit tight for my fingers. 

Still, I'll keep trying until I get the technique correct. 

Do you have picture of it? With my GS I used to just stand on the centre stand lever and it would pop up.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I am surprised how many people still have centre stands.  They seem to be getting rarer on new bikes. 

They seem so important to me. 

I won't even cold start unless it's on centre stand, or I'm sitting on it before using the side stand. 

Cleaning the chain must be a real pain without a centre stand. 

28 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Do you have picture of it? With my GS I used to just stand on the centre stand lever and it would pop up.

I don't at the moment, but I'm taking it out tomorrow, I'll get a picture then. 

The bike was "decked" on the left side before I bought it, I'm wondering if that centre stand lever is bent? 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Here's one with the stand up. 

You'll have to zoom in, the foot lever curves around the exhaust, but on the curve of the stand, you can see where it's made contact with the tarmac. 

Tomorrow morning, I'm actually taking it to the bike shop for diagnosis of rough running. 

I'll ask him what he thinks. 

20231117_123504.JPG

Edited by Simon Davey

Although I have a centre stand I never use it for fueling. Always just the side stand.  Even if I stay on the bike while filling I'll keep the side stand down. I've got a 17 litre tank so I get about 160 miles ot of it.

• Like 1