Aches and pains 🫤

oudafuq

So after a few hours riding the triumph , I’m noticing severe pain in my left hand to the point I’m struggling to pull the clutch and in turn losing a lot of confidence in riding.

I’ve never experienced this before on any other bike and I’m wondering if it’s the clutch or me 😏

im pretty gutted as I was so looking forward to being back out on 2 wheels 

any thoughts please 

You're not alone on that.

Mostly when riding the pan I have to stop to have a rest on my left hand.

I sometimes use one of the exercise springs that you squeeze and gets your hand and wrist stronger.

It helps a bit but not the cure for it

• Like 1

When I came back to biking after a long period out I found that the first couple of weeks my left hand used to cramp up but after a bit it stopped and these days ino longer have that problem at least. 

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1

Only use the clutch to move off, using clutch control, down shift and when the bike comes to a stop. 
The rest of the time employ clutch less shifting. This will save your hand a bit from pulling the clutch in so much. 
Some clutches are stiffer than others also.

• Like 1

It might be worth trying a 'Crampbuster' palm rest to give your hand/wrist an easier time. They're primarily designed as a throttle rest / sort of cruise control and as such most are right handed, but you can get a LH one with the rest on the other side. Link below. I use one on the clutch side all the time and they got me through several Iron But SS1,000 that would have otherwise hand my hands aching.

Crampbuster

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about going to a dealership, the kind of place where they have a load of secondhand bikes (Lings in Harleston for example), and trying the clutch on any 1050s they've got in stock. Could be the clutch cable needs lubricating? 

But searching on the internet seems to show others complaining about the clutch being heavy on that bike. People say they get used to it.

• Like 1

simply what hand size are you? how wide or narrow are your shoulders, elbows and hands to the bars?

id doubt the lever is adjustable (a real fing bug bear of mine).

are the bars/clip ons eventually centred? so many times they aint from the factory let alone a normal mech.

do you have a old injury that's making it harder for you?

are you having to over reach or doing extra movement to go get the lever?

so if the lever is too high or if too low into relation to your hand, your either having to move you hand behind the grip to allow the fingers to get height for over the top lever grip (get the lever) or rolling forward to reach for it and lowering your fingers to over bear them.

just a thought.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Stu said:

New gloves by any chance? 

This can sometimes be the cause 

No, but the ones I wore aren’t the best as the liners are loose .

now have a new pair to test out 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Capt Sisko said:

It might be worth trying a 'Crampbuster' palm rest to give your hand/wrist an easier time. They're primarily designed as a throttle rest / sort of cruise control and as such most are right handed, but you can get a LH one with the rest on the other side. Link below. I use one on the clutch side all the time and they got me through several Iron But SS1,000 that would have otherwise hand my hands aching.

Crampbuster

Ordered,  do you get points for challenge 100 for mentioning @Hoggs

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

simply what hand size are you? how wide or narrow are your shoulders, elbows and hands to the bars?

id doubt the lever is adjustable (a real fing bug bear of mine).

are the bars/clip ons eventually centred? so many times they aint from the factory let alone a normal mech.

do you have a old injury that's making it harder for you?

are you having to over reach or doing extra movement to go get the lever?

so if the lever is too high or if too low into relation to your hand, your either having to move you hand behind the grip to allow the fingers to get height for over the top lever grip (get the lever) or rolling forward to reach for it and lowering your fingers to over bear them.

just a thought.

Bars are stock for the bike, it does have adjustable levers tho. I’m not quite sure of the pros/cons of them 

I always adjust the levers so my wrists aren’t bending to grab the levers , shoe one on here taught me that many’s years ago!

I’ll be popping out on it later to see if the different gloves are any help 

24 minutes ago, oudafuq said:

Bars are stock for the bike, it does have adjustable levers tho. I’m not quite sure of the pros/cons of them 

I always adjust the levers so my wrists aren’t bending to grab the levers , shoe one on here taught me that many’s years ago!

I’ll be popping out on it later to see if the different gloves are any help 

Adjust the clutch lever for minimum travel. 
You want the clutch to disengage/engage a couple of cm into the first bit of movement so you don’t have to pull the lever all the way in. 
You will only be using the first one or two knuckles of your fingers instead of your whole hand. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 2

Ensure you've got the angle of the lever right too, if you're having to twist your wrist all the way back it will soon become painful. It might just need angling further down. 

Check full lock to lock afterwards too to make sure you don't move it to a position where cables/hoses are rubbing on anything. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

Adjust the clutch lever for minimum travel. 
You want the clutch to disengage/engage a couple of cm into the first bit of movement so you don’t have to pull the lever all the way in. 
You will only be using the first one or two knuckles of your fingers instead of your whole hand. 

I'd throw some amount of caution with that one. It's easy to adjust it too far and not have the clutch fully engaged even when it's released, you'll ruin the clutch in no time. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Phil1 said:

I'd throw some amount of caution with that one. It's easy to adjust it too far and not have the clutch fully engaged even when it's released, you'll ruin the clutch in no time. 

I agree, but you can feel this and adjust accordingly. 

• Like 2

Managed a few hours out yesterday with my mate 

i didn’t suffer so bad so I’m hoping, luring the cable, adjusting the lever and different gloves may have helped.

I’m also doing some stretching exersices to see if that helps.

so far so good 🙏

IMG_1299.jpeg

• Like 5

@oudafuq I had quite unpleasant upper back pain when I first started riding again (just a couple of months ago) and the guys on here said to just relax.  The more I ride, the more the "fun" comes back, and the more I relax. Get very little aches now, and I've only got 6 hours under my belt since I last rode 24 years ago.

Good luck, and I hope the aches and pains lessen with each ride.

• Like 2

I found that a supplement of magnesium has greatly improved my continuous joint pain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, husoi said:

I found that a supplement of magnesium has greatly improved my continuous joint pain

I’m on vitamin B and cod liver oil 🤢

• Sad 1

Some cheapish cod liver oil capsules use outdated pil and are as good as not having them.

Magnesium can be taken with pretty much any other supplements and have no known side effects 

2 hours ago, husoi said:

I don't think I have a continuous joint.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, husoi said:

Magnesium can be taken with pretty much any other supplements and have no known side effects 

Just a point, some magnesium supplements can loosen your bowels. Magnesium Citrate was a nightmare for me, Magnesium Chloride made me nauseous but Magnesium Bisglycinate seems to do the trick.

I take it to relieve irritating cramping in my legs at night.

Another thing to look forward to when you get old. And I can now watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer without having lascivious thoughts.

• Haha 3