Speed cushion rant

This is probably just me. But I have a strong dislike for speed cushions. So not the old sleeping policeman type that go fully across the lane. But the things that are about 4 foot square with sloping sides on all edges. No problem if I’m in the car. But I once caught the sloping edge when on my bike and nearly got thrown off. I was doing about 20mph. Since then I’ve been so careful to either miss them completely. Or go over the centre. They seem to have a lot of them here in Yorkshire. The ones locally aren’t marked very well if at all. It isn’t so bad during daylight. But at night  quite problematic. It just seems to me that whoever thought these were a good idea had no thought whatsoever for motorcyclists. .… never heard of anyone else complaining about them though. So probably it is just me lol. Rant over 

• Like 1

Not just you David, we have some in two villages either side of us, no markings, just black, you cannot see them and very problematic for motorcycles, nearly came off the other day, as you said straight down the middle seems only way,no problem in car, but unsettling even at slow speeds on bike. People who haven't been through since they changed it even doing 30mph have difficulties due to the fact you can't see them, maybe just a club of two we'll see!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

they are partially about in lancashire too. 

same here, nasty fing things! i dont even aim for the middle of them just because they're not even laying level or flat but then add in them breaking down is even worse so its a lottery if you can get it right. so its either skim the kerb and hedges or skim the cars on the right to get round them.

only good for chavs in lowered cars back in the day but most have upgraded to the hamilton so no chance of them being effective on suvs

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 2

I think their design is to allow emergency vehicles through without bouncing the  vehicles.

No excuse for not marking them though.

Write to the local council saying how dangerous they are when not visible, they can't/shouldn't ignore danger, they'll want to cover their backsides.

• Like 3

To be honest I prefer them to the full width type. We have a lot round here and I pass them either side without issues. If I go over them I'm only doing 20 or 30 mph depending on the limit and I've not had any wobbles.

We have a good few of those things here now, and I agree with what you say, seem to be mainly on the estates.  As Simon said, they were designed with input from the Emergency services, mainly the Ambulance service, so they could drive over them without bouncing patients about.  They should be marked though, I sometimes wonder if local councils want to cause accidents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

To be honest I prefer them to the full width type. We have a lot round here and I pass them either side without issues. If I go over them I'm only doing 20 or 30 mph depending on the limit and I've not had any wobbles.

Yeah. The thing is the ones locally are just black tarmac. No markings. Maybe there were markings once. But worn off now.  No issues really in daylight. But troublesome in the dark. … I do just think that designers of road furniture don’t really consider motorcycles 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thing is with going round the sides / middle is that it’s where all the crud settles eg nails, screws, glass & sludge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sides can be rough but not too bad as most 4 plus wheelers straddle the humps. Also they are sort of marked and visible.

5 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

I think their design is to allow emergency vehicles through without bouncing the  vehicles.

I never even thought/realised that! Makes sense.

• Thanks 1

Emergency vehicles and busses and anything else wide enough, to go either side of them, I prefer them to full width, never had an issue.

Always watching for a car coming to my side trying to straddle it though.

I wondered what the hell is a speed cushion? Never heard that before. Speed bumps, ahh..

Yeah everyone straddles them around here, it's a game to see who gets there first to control the straddle. They put them on the rat runs to slow the traffic down (In theory)

• Like 1

I once went out for a ride with my uncle and his pals, I was hanging at the very back of the group. We were leaving a village and the front of the pack saw the magic "no speed limit" sign and gunned it, then the rest of the pack tried to keep up. The guy in front of me on some huge Kawasaki tourer thing did not see the sleeping pillow and flew right over it, panniers and everything, what a lump. It handled it well at a definitely not 20/30mph speed. Later at the social club watching the GP he never did mention it. 

• Haha 2

When I see them I don't mind them but if I can't see them and I'm suddenly getting flinged up - they're not pleasant

• Like 1

One of the two villages (2 different councils) has today before all the rain, painted the speed bumps, someone's listening though hope its waterproof, just got to master going over them now, too busy a road to go down the side, this bump has a jutting out lip at the top, that's what unsettled me, any tips from those who are experts?

6 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

probably hoping not to bring it up so nobody would take the piss of being blind, busting his balls, shat his pants at hitting it...

Heh heh. Yes I may have mentioned it when the conversation started to get a bit quiet. Cruel really. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Angela Collen said:

One of the two villages (2 different councils) has today before all the rain, painted the speed bumps, someone's listening though hope its waterproof, just got to master going over them now, too busy a road to go down the side, this bump has a jutting out lip at the top, that's what unsettled me, any tips from those who are experts?

Stand up and hope the rear seat is firmly attached or at least tethered on. I did wonder if the tether on the nc30 was worth it for the amount of times I had to undo the bolt to take the fairing off. It was worth it for that one time I wanted to test the new suspension and it pinged right off. 

Edit: you don't have to fully Charlie Boreman Stand Up, just ride it like a jockey hovering over the seat like taking a bicycle off a curb. 

Edited by smallfrowne
  • Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply smallfrowne, sounds like a good plan, will try on my ride out Friday evening, my seat is good and solid, should make the bump easier to deal with as the body should cope better with the jolt, appreciate your experience 

• Like 1

Have them here in Ireland too 

Usually go round to the right if no oncoming traffic or to the left if there is traffic 

Rarely if ever go straight over them 

• Like 4