2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m now wishing I’d asked the question before I purchased. Snugpak is the sort of thing I was looking for, would have saved me the frustration of getting to the point of “buy one any bl**dy one” just so I could stop looking 😆 

Vango one being delivered tomoz (impressed with Attwoolls only ordered it late last night) so I’ll have a look at it and if I don’t think much of it it’ll go back. 

I read down sleeping bags can suffer with dampness from condensation same as cotton so I was going to stick with polyester is that right? And if I was moving into premium brand money would you stick with snugpak or do other brands come into play?

sleeping bags with dampness ?  how come my arthritis is beginning to ache 🤨  b&b everytime for me 

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m now wishing I’d asked the question before I purchased. Snugpak is the sort of thing I was looking for, would have saved me the frustration of getting to the point of “buy one any bl**dy one” just so I could stop looking 😆 

Vango one being delivered tomoz (impressed with Attwoolls only ordered it late last night) so I’ll have a look at it and if I don’t think much of it it’ll go back. 

I read down sleeping bags can suffer with dampness from condensation same as cotton so I was going to stick with polyester is that right? And if I was moving into premium brand money would you stick with snugpak or do other brands come into play?

and.. a rather more sensible answer.

I have never, ever, experienced a damp sleeping bag due to condensation.

I have experienced one that got damp on the inside after paying too much attention to idiots. I was too hot and woke up in the middle of the night sweating. I got rid of that sleeping bag and bought one with a rating more suitable for camping in western europe during the summer instead of one designed for the bloody arctic. in January. why some people seem to think the 'hotter the better' - beats me completely. I got taken in by them... more fool me.

I wouldn't buy a natural down sleeping bag for much the same reason.

some might consider snugpak to be premium... circa £100 for one isn't exactly cheap. but you get what you pay for. you can pay more.. they have some that are made in England.. their own premium range.

packs small.. mine can be opened out so it can be aired, its also machine washable, which.. as I have some standards, is important to me.

if I was going camping 'off season'.. say.. between November and April, I might be tempted to get a warmer sleeping bag. but its no use to me as of now... when I tend to go either in September.. or mid summer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gerontious said:

and.. a rather more sensible answer.

I have never, ever, experienced a damp sleeping bag due to condensation.

I have experienced one that got damp on the inside after paying too much attention to idiots. I was too hot and woke up in the middle of the night sweating. I got rid of that sleeping bag and bought one with a rating more suitable for camping in western europe during the summer instead of one designed for the bloody arctic. in January. why some people seem to think the 'hotter the better' - beats me completely. I got taken in by them... more fool me.

I wouldn't buy a natural down sleeping bag for much the same reason.

some might consider snugpak to be premium... circa £100 for one isn't exactly cheap. but you get what you pay for. you can pay more.. they have some that are made in England.. their own premium range.

packs small.. mine can be opened out so it can be aired, its also machine washable, which.. as I have some standards, is important to me.

if I was going camping 'off season'.. say.. between November and April, I might be tempted to get a warmer sleeping bag. but its no use to me as of now... when I tend to go either in September.. or mid summer.

Their upper price range is premium, but it seems you can pay crazy amounts more. Washable and it’s ability to recover from the wash is also important to me. I’ll stick with the manmade filling, plus a mild feather allergy puts me off even if down is supposedly hypoallergenic 🤔 
I think the cotton sucked the moisture from the air like blotting paper and had I of thought about it properly I would have realised this as no-one exercises in cotton for that very reason. heyho.

Everyone’s body temp naturally drops when they sleep, by how much can vary a lot from person to person, some people are genuinely more cold blooded than others, I’m one of those people and one who I’ve discovered needs a MUCH warmer sleeping bag than usual. 

Thanks for the info it’s appreciated 👍

33 minutes ago, skyrider said:

sleeping bags with dampness ?  how come my arthritis is beginning to ache 🤨  b&b everytime for me 

When you get it right with the right kit it’s all well n good, no dampness, no discomfort and no regrets. I’d go as far to say then it’s fun. It goes south when you insist on camping in miserable conditions (wet/cold) or have the wrong gear. 

There’s something to be said for bunkhouses, B&B’s and hotels. Campings advantage is it detaches you from time, there’s no need to get to breakfast or dinner for a certain time, you come and go when you please and eat when you want. There’s also no staff to deal with (can be particularly irksome in B&Bs when they are run by the owners), no housekeeping knocking on the door when you decided you wanted a lie in. Your room is always a suite with an outdoor seating area and in the sunshine with a kettle or a frying pan/BBQ is blissful. So when you tot up the advantages of being in a tent and then add the cost of hotels it turns out to be a surprisingly fine experience. But it does for me all hinge on being comfortable and sleeping well. 

I was amazed how many people said to me “You? YOU CAMPING!?!?” cos I’m not known for tolerating a rubbish time. Not in a horrible way, just life’s too short to waste on poor experiences but it turned out (with the help from people on this forum) to be a very pleasant experience indeed. Just keep your eye on the forecast!

I tried one of those mummy style sleeping bags but didn't like it.

I prefer the old fashion rectangular ones with leg space and that you can zip 2 together and lots of space.

1 minute ago, husoi said:

I tried one of those mummy style sleeping bags but didn't like it.

I prefer the old fashion rectangular ones with leg space and that you can zip 2 together and lots of space.

But do you use a double envelope style one for bike camping? They are quite bulky. 

I have a couple I bought at Home bargains, comes with a small bag and you just roll it in. but they are quite compressible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Camping gear upgrade sorted. I think. For anyone bored/interested links included below. 

Ground sheet fabric for new weird pop up and down tent ordered. The tents slightly bulky but really does pop up and crucially back down ridiculously quickly so I’ll give it a whirl. The mechanism makes me think it won’t be long lived but comes with 5 years guarantee so we’ll see. When it gives up the ghost I’ll probably be ready for a swanky upgrade 😃

Cobb frying pan ordered. Its very flat and has detachable flat handle. It’s harder than I thought it would be to find a large flat frying pan with detachable handle so hope this’ll do. Most camping frying pans are imo far far too small to adequately fry up enough breakfast.  

New sleeping bag ordered as the current one is cotton and feels damp if the temperature difference causes too much condensation- an expensive mistake on my part.

Not sure about the sleeping bag I’ve gone for as I started off from the basis I definitely didn’t want a cocoon shape one and ended up buying.. yep a cocoon shape one 🙄

I just couldn’t find toasty envelope shape ones with reliable reviews. The way they rate them seems very hit n miss until you move into the territory of the very pricey. I’m currently not going to pay for an expensive one until I know if I get on with the cocoon shape. 

Wondering if others here have used cocoon shape sleeping bags and how you’ve found them or have I made another mistake? 😬

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-2-seconds-easy-fresh-black-2-person/_/R-p-308355?mc=8553541&c=WHITE&orderId=gb311262826

https://www.attwoolls.co.uk/cobb-frying-pan

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15896936/vango-nitestar-450-sleeping-bag-15896936

Will be interested how you get on with the tent, that looks like neat system..

Presently being tempted by one of these then camping is planned with teenage daughter.

Tent

Sleeping bags I never got on with mummy shaped but then I tend to carry 2 lightship weight ones and double up if cold. It works for me.

17 minutes ago, onesea said:

Will be interested how you get on with the tent, that looks like neat system..

Presently being tempted by one of these then camping is planned with teenage daughter.

Tent

I can see the attraction, only 4 poles, separate sleep areas and a covered middle point, nice. 

17 minutes ago, onesea said:

Sleeping bags I never got on with mummy shaped but then I tend to carry 2 lightship weight ones and double up if cold. It works for me.

Yes I like two lightweight ones, more options. This cocoon thing is a departure that I’m none too sure about 🤞 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

The cocoon sleeping bag arrived and its bigger than my tent 😂 well not quite but it’s at least double the size (when compressed) of a normal sleeping bag and blimey it’s packed in that bag tightly. Size n shape wise I don’t think it’s going to be an issue so for £45 I’m going to keep it, give it a run out and then I’ll know if a future upgrade is needed whether a cocoon will do. Going to have to get/make a slightly bigger bag though. Only downside I can see is I feel like a caterpillar in a children’s book!

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The cocoon sleeping bag arrived and its bigger than my tent 😂 well not quite but it’s at least double the size (when compressed) of a normal sleeping bag and blimey it’s packed in that bag tightly. Size n shape wise I don’t think it’s going to be an issue so for £45 I’m going to keep it, give it a run out and then I’ll know if a future upgrade is needed whether a cocoon will do. Going to have to get/make a slightly bigger bag though. Only downside I can see is I feel like a caterpillar in a children’s book!

albeit a warm one 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2021 at 16:34, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The cocoon sleeping bag arrived and its bigger than my tent 😂 

Down. Lightweight (forgot the rating, not for winters!) which I'm hoping to be able one day to fold in a way that'll for in my jacket pocket :)

Slept in it when sailing, I've not noticed any damp problems. It really packs away nicely.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2 for £12 at Tesco. :thumb: 

Not the most comfy but I have no plans to sit in it for too long.

Ok, with 2.3kg is not fit for carry on your back but is going in the trailer so weight is not a concern.

Around 80cm folded in the bag so it fits nicely

My camping set is now ready for end of May 😎

IMG_20210414_182819.thumb.jpg.2daad284075818f562d7c62013a1db89.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, husoi said:

2 for £12 at Tesco. :thumb: 

Not the most comfy but I have no plans to sit in it for too long.

Ok, with 2.3kg is not fit for carry on your back but is going in the trailer so weight is not a concern.

Around 80cm folded in the bag so it fits nicely

My camping set is now ready for end of May 😎

IMG_20210414_182819.thumb.jpg.2daad284075818f562d7c62013a1db89.jpg

All things to look forward to. I'm still isolating for a few weeks with my wife and hopefully we will be able to get planning too. Where are you off camping?

2 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

All things to look forward to. I'm still isolating for a few weeks with my wife and hopefully we will be able to get planning too. Where are you off camping?

South.

Never been to Cornwall so that could be an option.

Somewhere near the sea where you can't see the seals and your feet won't go blue as soon you dip them in the water :thumb: 

Will have a look at pitchup.co.uk to see what is available from 22/5 to 28/5

21 hours ago, husoi said:

South.

Never been to Cornwall so that could be an option.

Somewhere near the sea where you can't see the seals and your feet won't go blue as soon you dip them in the water :thumb: 

Will have a look at pitchup.co.uk to see what is available from 22/5 to 28/5

I highly recommend this place on route to Cornwall. Its one of my favourites good pitches, not expensive and spotlessly clean facilities. Some great costal roads to follow further down the coast to Cornwall from here. Saw a massive pod of dolphins in 2018 on a boat trip was a real sight to behold. Harbour restaurant in Lyme Regis has some of the best seafood and it comes straight from the Cobb couldn't get more local. Open the gate on the site and you are on charmouth beach a quiet unspoilt beach great for fossil hunting you will pretty much be guaranteed a find!

12 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

I highly recommend this place on route to Cornwall. Its one of my favourites good pitches, not expensive and spotlessly clean facilities. Some great costal roads to follow further down the coast to Cornwall from here. Saw a massive pod of dolphins in 2018 on a boat trip was a real sight to behold. Harbour restaurant in Lyme Regis has some of the best seafood and it comes straight from the Cobb couldn't get more local. Open the gate on the site and you are on charmouth beach a quiet unspoilt beach great for fossil hunting you will pretty much be guaranteed a find!

Thinking about going further southwest.

Still undecided between eastern Falmouth or western Newquay areas.

All depends on availability and which ones will be nearer the beach.

The plan is to pitch the tent for the hole week and tour around.

Definitely will have a look at that one. :thumb: 

• Like 1

Porlock to Ullapool??? That's near 700 miles. 12hrs if you carry a trailer and motorway all the way to Glasgow 🙄

Hate motorway 

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Porlock to Ullapool??? That's near 700 miles. 12hrs if you carry a trailer and motorway all the way to Glasgow 🙄

Hate motorway 

Over night through storm, big audi 100avant and twin axle tourer, was great tow car.

Cut across to Edinburgh, up to Inverness and on to Ullapool 😁 

32 minutes ago, Bender said:

Over night through storm, big audi 100avant and twin axle tourer, was great tow car.

Cut across to Edinburgh, up to Inverness and on to Ullapool 😁 

That's cheating :P

I thought you went on the bike. 

• Haha 1

got these delivered today

https://giantpygmy.net/shop/index.php?id_product=62&controller=product

As replacement for the cheap wire ones. They are lightweight and quite strong.

The lantern was a bit more  expensive than I was expecting but I quite like the dual functionality and the dimmable feature on the lantern mode.

https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/camping-fishing/nebo-big-poppy-rechargeable-led-lantern.html