2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer that’s the thing. Have always used one so far and like it, which reminds me it does go under the tent completely covered 😂

Foot print ground sheet protector will match your tent, but what if you get something on that?,  maybe you need a foot print protector sheet too.

May I draw your attention to the princess and the pea 😁 

Just now, Bender said:

Foot print ground sheet protector will match your tent, but what if you get something on that?,  maybe you need a foot print protector sheet too.

To be fair I can see the logic in one done right it means you could put your tent away dry unless its pissing it down.  Mine spend a few days hanging in the loft before it getting put away for next trip.

11 minutes ago, Bender said:

How do you know these things? 😂

• Haha 1

When we went on the bikes last year, it was the first time camping with a bike and the first time in decades.

The ground is much harder than when I was younger lol. the self inflate mattress was ok, but as they were second hand and cheap they didn't hold air very well. Id certainly get better next time. Next was thin sleeping bags that didn't do well on a late summer night. For me those 2 things were what made it less enjoyable.

I didn't take chairs as such, but some inflatable things which were shit. So for the sake of a little more width id take normal camp chairs. sitting on the ground is ok, but the morning grass was wet and at night sitting outside comfy is better.

In my tail bag, I fitted pan set, normal stove with 2 gas bottles. 2 thermal drink cups, few tins of food, bacon, oil, lighter, peg mallet, folding kettle, sugar, tea, coffee, torch. the only things tied to the bikes were a tent and sleeping stuff. On 2 bikes I might add. If I had panniers then it would have all gone on one bike easy.

Being warm and comfy would be top of my list next time. It was still fun, but we had to buy a spare blanket for the 2nd night...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

When we went on the bikes last year, it was the first time camping with a bike and the first time in decades.

The ground is much harder than when I was younger lol. the self inflate mattress was ok, but as they were second hand and cheap they didn't hold air very well. Id certainly get better next time. Next was thin sleeping bags that didn't do well on a late summer night. For me those 2 things were what made it less enjoyable.

I didn't take chairs as such, but some inflatable things which were shit. So for the sake of a little more width id take normal camp chairs. sitting on the ground is ok, but the morning grass was wet and at night sitting outside comfy is better.

In my tail bag, I fitted pan set, normal stove with 2 gas bottles. 2 thermal drink cups, few tins of food, bacon, oil, lighter, peg mallet, folding kettle, sugar, tea, coffee, torch. the only things tied to the bikes were a tent and sleeping stuff. On 2 bikes I might add. If I had panniers then it would have all gone on one bike easy.

Being warm and comfy would be top of my list next time. It was still fun, but we had to buy a spare blanket for the 2nd night...

Yes I like a normal camp chair it makes the whole experience much more pleasant and being cold or uncomfortable at night is a massive no no for me.
I dont pack any of that food though, in this country I have tended to just take tea, coffee and a small travel bottle with oil or ghee in it. The rest I do a click n collect at whatever the nearest supermarket is. That way you can pick up ice, beers, water, bread and anything else you want quickly without wandering around an unfamiliar supermarket trying to remember you did in fact fancy mustard with the sausages 😂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yes I like a normal camp chair it makes the whole experience much more pleasant and being cold or uncomfortable at night is a massive no no for me.
I dont pack any of that food though, in this country I have tended to just take tea, coffee and a small travel bottle with oil or ghee in it. The rest I do a click n collect at whatever the nearest supermarket is. That way you can pick up ice, beers, water, bread and anything else you want quickly without wandering around an unfamiliar supermarket trying to remember you did in fact fancy mustard with the sausages 😂 

We were on a site, the shop was ok but didnt have any beer, just posh cider. A pub was a 15 min walk so that was ok. But the only food we cooked was bacon for breakfast and tea. I would actually prefer cooking all food to be honest and a fire etc.

1 minute ago, jedibiker said:

We were on a site, the shop was ok but didnt have any beer, just posh cider. A pub was a 15 min walk so that was ok. But the only food we cooked was bacon for breakfast and tea. I would actually prefer cooking all food to be honest and a fire etc.

Yer thats why I prefer a click and collect. Stuff you actually want to eat and drink at the right price. Im happy to eat out when it’s available though, cooking breakfast or maybe a steak in the evening fine but apart from that its the one time Im happy to eat whatever basic fair is on offer. 
Although if youre into it the Dirty Dining cook book has some good ideas. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dirty-Dining-Adventurers-Lisa-Thomas/dp/1945703067

• Like 1

@jedibiker I am far from an expert on bike camping although have ended up in a tent most years for one reason or other.  Often to do other hobbies involving being cold and wet.
Modern Tech that I have found works for chairs are these:
Chair light weight
Mine was from Aldi and looses the leg feet in soft ground, however I can normally find something to put under the legs to spread the load.  Surprisingly comfortable for beer or food.

Camping grounds are variable, I carry a handful of larger pegs for guidelines on soft ground to keep tent up if its breezy.

Sleeping bags I take 2 light ones, similar size to carry to 1 big thick one but you can vary use 1 or 2 and if only using 1 use the second for extra comfort on camping mat.

Self inflating camping mats I bought form Amazon, read the reviews pay your money and take your chances.  From what I can read none are perfect but reasonable ones are acceptable.

For food  I carry instant coffee (Kenco 3in1 is 5*) and hot chocolate in individual sachets  plus enough for an evening meal can of chilly and some Rice, for breakfast I take a pack of granola bars.  However on arrival I get to the local pub/ takeaway/ shop and see what is local that can do better. I also get some beer/ wine and a 1.5 ltr bottle of water to drink and then top up at tap on campsite.

Breakfast I eat my granola bar with coffee then once on road find a more appropriate biker breakfast:IMG_20200909_100205_6.thumb.jpg.2fa18f9a0c88fbec9e314e2eec466c21.jpg

Edited by onesea
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, onesea said:

@jedibiker I am far from an expert on bike camping although have ended up in a tent most years for one reason or other.  Often to do other hobbies involving being cold and wet.
Chair light weight
Mine was from Aldi and looses the leg feet in soft ground, however I can normally find something to put under the legs to spread the load.  Surprisingly comfortable for beer or food.

Camping grounds are variable, I carry a handful of larger pegs for guidelines on soft ground to keep tent up if its breezy.

Sleeping bags I take 2 light ones, similar size to carry to 1 big thick one but you can vary use 1 or 2 and if only using 1 use the second for extra comfort on camping mat.

Self inflating camping mats I bought form Amazon, read the reviews pay your money and take your chances.  From what I can read none are perfect but reasonable ones are acceptable.

For food  I carry instant coffee (Kenco 3in1 is 5*) and hot chocolate in individual sachets  plus enough for an evening meal can of chilly and some Rice, for breakfast I take a pack of granola bars.  However on arrival I get to the local pub/ takeaway/ shop and see what is local that can do better. I also get some beer/ wine and a 1.5 ltr bottle of water to drink and then top up at tap on campsite.

Breakfast I eat my granola bar with coffee then once on road find a more appropriate biker breakfast:IMG_20200909_100205_6.thumb.jpg.2fa18f9a0c88fbec9e314e2eec466c21.jpg

Only three eggs? Lightweight 😂

13 minutes ago, onesea said:

@husoi needs a remote control for his bike with a keyboard so he can sit in the trailer make a true arm chair biker....

😋😋😋

That's called a trike 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onesea said:

Chair light weight

that should set you up for the day :classic_smile:

Try wild camping ..... Me and a mate did it a few years ago, on a whim, up in the Cairngorms, both ex squaddies so we thought "we'll tuff it out", how wrong could we have been!! After two days of being eaten alive by f-----g Scottish midges we were running for civilisation and a B&B .... 🤣

Edited by manxie49
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Try wild camping ..... Me and a mate did it a few years ago, on a whim, up in the Cairngorms, both ex squaddies so we thought "we'll tuff it out", how wrong could we have been!! After two days of being eaten alive by f-----g Scotish midges we were running for civilisation and a B&B .... 🤣

Damn Scotland’s bitey things. I’m going to have to rely on my husband being sweeter than me 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

Try wild camping ..... Me and a mate did it a few years ago, on a whim, up in the Cairngorms, both ex squaddies so we thought "we'll tuff it out", how wrong could we have been!! After two days of being eaten alive by f-----g Scottish midges we were running for civilisation and a B&B .... 🤣

Those damned bitey things! Used to fish hill lochs up there - walk in, walk out and camp by the Loch side. Great until the wind dropped and then the little f**kers would be out in their millions. Totally take the fun out of life.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Those damned bitey things! Used to fish hill lochs up there - walk in, walk out and camp by the Loch side. Great until the wind dropped and then the little f**kers would be out in their millions. Totally take the fun out of life.

Ride up n keep this spiffing innovation on!

Shark’s latest X-ATV open-face helmet… complete with anti-mosquito net, for hot climates.

33E61884-C0B7-482C-B31F-D4A99B8C4376.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

and you thought the manx ones had big teeth, you should experience the ones at joey's 🤨

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I really should have taken a photo of my bike jacket when I got home ..... it was covered, hundreds of the annoying feckers.  I inwardly smiled though, thinking “that’ll teach the little t—-s’ 😂

• Like 1