9 hours ago, onesea said:

My boiling water inside is safer than allot of the “smoking”, gas lamps, paraffin lamps etc that people use tents.

Its never left unattended, on stable ground and nothing comes within afoot of the flame cooker and right next to an open opening.

Probably more dangerous on dry grass...

The fact that other people do even more risky things does not change the fact that an open flame inside a tent is a ridiculously daft risk to take :roll: 

On 02/01/2021 at 06:36, onesea said:

How stable is that on grass, gravel etc? 

My first brew of the day is often made just inside tent on groud Sheet so i don't have to get wet.  Would you trust it inside?

Presently I use one of these lovely and stable but takes allot of space.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14637000081741871437?q=camping+stove&bih=544&biw=360&hl=en&tbs=cat:530775,pdtr0:3958181|3958182,vw:g,init_ar:SgeyBAQIx9Ig,ss:44&sxsrf=ALeKk03PxltSLGSUek3h_sWG9nP4yHJz7Q:1609569275655&prds=epd:7559485978302357035,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

If you make sure the hose is straight then it having 3 separate legs mean it’s easy to make it stable. It’s not going to be as stable as the one you’re currently carting around but it will be easier to make it level. The stoves pan support arms are obviously smaller so if you have a 28cm frying pan on there (which I often do) you’re pushing it. Then again it’s caused me no trouble.

I’m guessing you’ll be lighting your stove in your tent regardless of commentary so I’ll skip the scream emoji but please tell me your tents fully open and your ready to leave ie the stove isn’t blocking your exit. Hopefully you have a fire retardant canvas tent. 

I’ve just ordered some camping cutlery, if it arrives tomorrow I’ll post a pic, I’m sure it’ll go down a storm here. 

32 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If you make sure the hose is straight then it having 3 separate legs mean it’s easy to make it stable. It’s not going to be as stable as the one you’re currently carting around but it will be easier to make it level. The stoves pan support arms are obviously smaller so if you have a 28cm frying pan on there (which I often do) you’re pushing it. Then again it’s caused me no trouble.

I’m guessing you’ll be lighting your stove in your tent regardless of commentary so I’ll skip the scream emoji but please tell me your tents fully open and your ready to leave ie the stove isn’t blocking your exit. Hopefully you have a fire retardant canvas tent. 

I’ve just ordered some camping cutlery, if it arrives tomorrow I’ll post a pic, I’m sure it’ll go down a storm here. 

I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it . 🍴

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Smaller tent has 2 exits, not cotton.  Larger tent entrance is large...

Part of the reason I am happy to cart round existing unit, its very stable.  

Always ventilated and monitored...

On 03/01/2021 at 20:22, Jerry1111 said:

Jetboil, you won't be buying twice - and the enjoyment is worth the price!

They give you an orange clip-on thingy to stabilize, never had problems on uneven ground.

You can also get a metal ring to use small pots with jetboil - I use it for Moka coffee pot.

When boiling water it doesn't need any wind shielding - been in Thetford forest few days ago. It was +1C and windy, brew was ready in promised 90 seconds. For Moka you need a bit of wind shield - because Moka pots don't have these clever fins that capture all the heat.

Some great advice so far. I am leaning towards the Jetboil or similar to be honest, I've never used other fuels like meths for cooking. I also like the speed the Jetboil stove will bring water to the boil, it appears very simple to use and packs away small enough for me.  

On 03/01/2021 at 20:34, RantMachine said:

The fact that other people do even more risky things does not change the fact that an open flame inside a tent is a ridiculously daft risk to take :roll: 

I worry more about gas appliances on a boats and flammable liquids for cooking.

Having spent some years living and hence marshalling a campsite, I would say if you want to increase safety significantly remove alcohol.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Brace yourself, the perfect camping cutlery (which with the way things are will likely stay immaculate til 2022 🙄) has arrived, gold coloured is good right?! Now don’t all rush at once asking for a link 😂

8CA5E512-377B-4F05-AA98-D466748D40FF.jpeg

Not an effing spork in sight anywhere ..   you call yourself outdoorsy ! 

29 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Brace yourself, the perfect camping cutlery (which with the way things are will likely stay immaculate til 2022 🙄) has arrived, gold coloured is good right?! Now don’t all rush at once asking for a link 😂

8CA5E512-377B-4F05-AA98-D466748D40FF.jpeg

Arthur price or over priced.

Don't wait up for the rush

1 minute ago, Bender said:

Arthur price or over priced.

Don't wait up for the rush

Normally yes Price is overpriced unless they’re half priced which they were. You’re better off with Robert Welch for the money but then you move into the realm of not being practical for camping, large, heavy good quality. 
As for chop sticks they’re a bit crap with noodle soup, a spork is the way forward.

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Normally yes Price is overpriced unless they’re half priced which they were. You’re better off with Robert Welch for the money but then you move into the realm of not being practical for camping, large, heavy good quality. 
As for chop sticks they’re a bit crap with noodle soup, a spork is the way forward.

The chinese have no issue, you just shovel noodles with chopsticks whilst drinking from the bowl.

9 minutes ago, Bender said:

Tines are too short for a fork, and for soup the spoon is to shallow.

Well if we’re going to get bogged down into the details of eating noodle soup then yes the spoon is a bit shallow and really two spoons is better- a spork and soup spoon. But the tines are perfect, they pick up just the right amount of noodles and unlike chopsticks or just a fork you get the delightful combo of the right amount of noodles and some soup to flavour them. Other combinations leave you drinking the soup and eating the noodles separately. So a good spork is still the winner in my book. 

The others in my house poured scorn on the spork idea but they’re always gone from the cutlery drawer and are found languishing in a bowl of what was noodle soup or a sticking out of a Tonkotsu noodle cup.
You’ve just got to find ones with a deeper bowl like those above.

50 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I most certainly never claimed to be outdoorsy and I do own sporks... these.... 😂

B3033930-1C86-4E4D-B98C-F9F03D489674.png

They used to be called runcible spoons. As per the Owl and the Pussy-Cat.

Edited by raesewell

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well if we’re going to get bogged down into the details of eating noodle soup then yes the spoon is a bit shallow and really two spoons is better- a spork and soup spoon. But the tines are perfect, they pick up just the right amount of noodles and unlike chopsticks or just a fork you get the delightful combo of the right amount of noodles and some soup to flavour them. Other combinations leave you drinking the soup and eating the noodles separately. So a good spork is still the winner in my book. 

The others in my house poured scorn on the spork idea but they’re always gone from the cutlery drawer and are found languishing in a bowl of what was noodle soup or a sticking out of a Tonkotsu noodle cup.
You’ve just got to find ones with a deeper bowl like those above.

pour it in a big mug and slurp it down :classic_laugh:

I don't like my noodles swimming in soup so I hydrate them in boiling water and then drain them before adding the semi poisonous contents of the various sachets followed by a can of Mackerel or Tuna . Carbs and protein in well under five minutes with my Go Outdoors imitation Jetboil . For a more leisurely lunch some chicken and vegetables cooked separately and combined with the  noodles . All eaten with a plastic fork to further enhance the enjoyment . 

WP_20160801_18_12_41_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

We did LEJOG in 2019 ... 10 of us cycling and julie and Riley in one very ratty camper van, carrie and steve in their home built van and Linda in her tiny camper ...the rest of the guys camped ... we where at a campsite in Devon when a guy on a motorbike climbed over the gate and waved to us as he wandered past ... he had a kettle with a 1 mtr ..ish cable .. found a pitch power point, ... boiled his kettle .. made his coffee and porridge... and climbed over the gate ... after eating lots of our biscuits ... he never paid for camping but would just pinch their lecky for his morning coffee and breakfast ...

Top Chap ...:classic_biggrin:

Carrie .. Riley ( 7 months old) ... Julie ...

20180626_132136.jpg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1