1 minute ago, Keeper96 said:

On the stove subject does anyone take one of the cheap gas stoves woth them? The ones come in a mini brief case type thing and cost about £10 from Halfords etc? 

Yup I do just cause I have it..  They are bulky but very stable. Depends if you can fit on bike.

2 minutes ago, onesea said:

Yup I do just cause I have it..  They are bulky but very stable. Depends if you can fit on bike.

That was meant to be my question 😂 any ideas on how best to pack it? I usually travel in a defender so space has never been an issue!

48 minutes ago, Keeper96 said:

That was meant to be my question 😂 any ideas on how best to pack it? I usually travel in a defender so space has never been an issue!

Mine fits in a panier without its suitcase. Another plan was to lash it in its case under the tent on the rear bag rack.

• Like 1

Just now, skyrider said:

pot noodle just pour on boiling water and it turns into a delicious meal 🤮

Ha!! But the BBB has a sachet of toxic sauce

3 hours ago, Keeper96 said:

On the stove subject does anyone take one of the cheap gas stoves woth them? The ones come in a mini brief case type thing and cost about £10 from Halfords etc? 

They are big, and you need to buy the canisters with added propane or they freeze when you use them and you spend more time pouring the water for your tea on it

On 07/01/2021 at 17:24, onesea said:

Far too big for bike camping but I have one for when we go camping with the car.

For camping on the bike I have a MSR pocet rocket 2. It's ultra compact and works really well even in the wind. https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/MSR-PocketRocket-2-Stove-sku53105502.asp?gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6ByX9dWImL2e4NSXjjR4kHXMHIo3SIK-3PlAGpKIMAbXDogbeTB3zBoCmqsQAvD_BwE

For stuff to cook in I've got the seat to summit x32 set which includes a saucepan, frying pan and kettle. It' all folds up and fits into the frying pan. Not cheap but I think it's worth the money https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Sea_to_Summit_X_Set_32_Collapsible_Pan_Set/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=184850&SelectedItem=687279&gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6NDyOYj3uFNf42pzHFNNc-dME-C8nqR83z7teqApp74ATBbwAWWgthoCAwYQAvD_BwE

7 minutes ago, Bungleaio said:

Far too big for bike camping but I have one for when we go camping with the car.

For camping on the bike I have a MSR pocet rocket 2. It's ultra compact and works really well even in the wind. https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/MSR-PocketRocket-2-Stove-sku53105502.asp?gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6ByX9dWImL2e4NSXjjR4kHXMHIo3SIK-3PlAGpKIMAbXDogbeTB3zBoCmqsQAvD_BwE

Looks very good but I would not trust its stability when on the ground sheet in the "awning" on my tent (and then the argument started, again). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2021 at 21:25, Bungleaio said:

For camping on the bike I have a MSR pocet rocket 2. 

So basically that's a jetboil burner with the top detached :-)

Thanks for sea to summit set suggestion - that's something in missing. I have Cadac Safari for cooking, works well with the car, need something smaller for bike trips.

15 hours ago, Bungleaio said:

I'm not sure to be honest,my sister bought it for me, she is a guide leader and had a lot of scout friends so she asked them for guidance and this one was what most of them recommended. 

best you can get, is why.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My brother is clearing out camping gear and has a dubious sounding tent I’m willing to give a go but there’s no ground sheet (amongst other things).
I can’t remember if the ground sheet is supposed to stick out from tent a smidge (I have a feeling not because the rain could pool right?) or should it be completely covered by the tent by a couple of centimetres? Need to buy a tarp so could do with knowing for the size. Thanks anyone. 

Cheap Tarps come in standard sizes, you could just double up the excess. Then as you say keep it smaller than the foot print of the tent.

For a long while tents have come with flysheets and ground sheet built in.  Has it got sleeping compartment or is it just the waterproof outer?

However you maybe better off looking at Facebay round here plenty of tents going at allot less than retail prices... 

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

My brother is clearing out camping gear and has a dubious sounding tent I’m willing to give a go but there’s no ground sheet (amongst other things).
I can’t remember if the ground sheet is supposed to stick out from tent a smidge (I have a feeling not because the rain could pool right?) or should it be completely covered by the tent by a couple of centimetres? Need to buy a tarp so could do with knowing for the size. Thanks anyone. 

As a kid I had an orange triango, ( I think), ridge tent, single layer, seperate ground sheet, ground sheet was smaller than tent.

Was a great sturdy tent, tad draughty 😁 

6 minutes ago, onesea said:

Cheap Tarps come in standard sizes, you could just double up the excess. Then as you say keep it smaller than the foot print of the tent.

For a long while tents have come with flysheets and ground sheet built in.  Has it got sleeping compartment or is it just the waterproof outer?

However you maybe better off looking at Facebay round here plenty of tents going at allot less than retail prices... 

A freebie of unknown origins that I thought I’d give a whirl before eventually splashing out on the real deal. Have an extremely large two person tent (says it’s for 9 on the box but we do like a bit of space) and have just been offered a two man which if it was great wouldn’t be being got rid of so I imagine it’s quality is dubious 😬

Want a separate ground sheet as Gerontious pointed out some time ago apart from the extra penetration protection it’s easier to deal with mud, slugs n slime on a separate sheet. 

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

A freebie of unknown origins that I thought I’d give a whirl before eventually splashing out on the real deal. Have an extremely large two person tent (says it’s for 9 on the box but we do like a bit of space) and have just been offered a two man which if it was great wouldn’t be being got rid of so I imagine it’s quality is dubious 😬

Want a separate ground sheet as Gerontious pointed out some time ago apart from the extra penetration protection it’s easier to deal with mud, slugs n slime on a separate sheet. 

Ohhh you mean a ground sheet protector, never needed or used one.