What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

21 hours ago, smallfrowne said:

Well, I fancied checking the valve clearances at 6k miles, which is a bit soon by the book. Turns out 3 inlet valves were too tight, and the last inlet and two exhaust valves on the lower limit. So, I had to get the cams out to change the shims and in doing so revealed a bit of wear on a part which should see no wear at all.

ValveCoveroff01.thumb.jpg.046f8fc42e2c230c398129936216c792.jpg

This is the head with the "camshaft bridge" still in place, note the bit where the spark plugs go are separate pieces which come out as well.

SparkPlugTube01.thumb.jpg.8720ca9f5de739b12f1d71146cf7a0e5.jpg

Spark plug tube. This is what one looked like.

BalancerShaftInstructions.jpg.thumb.png.ddc99bbc9f0eeb5248325a890ebb3e0b.png

Here from the manual you can see that the balancer shaft is easily removed by screwing a long bolt in to it and pulling, gently. There is nothing holding it in place and is a sliding fit. The only thing holding it in place in normal operation is the two spark plug tubes, and one of them was doing a bang up job of it. It looks like the shaft does like to rattle about in there. Anyway that didn't seem right to me, and at only 6000 mile don't forget.

BalancerShaft03.thumb.jpg.9b4f59a70b743d030ae37cf85760c883.jpg

It turns out there is an updated part, which I bought on a whim along with my new shims. There was no indication on the fiche to show how the new part was any different but I was intrigued - when it arrived alles war klar. They must've had a change of heart and decided they needed to bolt this thing in place after all, on the 890 at least - this is an early 790.

BalancerShaft05.thumb.jpg.bf3059987ec9bfa16ac9de736f41218c.jpg

It looks like somebody knew about it because the casting has a nice flat bit which perfectly aligns with this new shaft's bolt 'ole.

All I had to do then was drill a 5mm hole in this bit of ally, which is only available as part of a cylinder head set for about £650, and Bob's yer uncle.

Threadlockedin01.thumb.jpg.48e4368a5452d8e60a41377b1e0c7347.jpg

My new lickle M5x12 low profile cap head bolt has arrived now so that bit is all back together; I can carry on with the other stuff, like sorting the valves out at 6000miles.

Well done Sir, that's the kind of thing that makes my heart soar like a hawk !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, curlylegend said:

Well done Sir, that's the kind of thing that makes my heart soar like a hawk !

Cheers. I was a bit worried to start with but I've been itching to use that drill for a while, ever since I pinched it out of my neighbour's skip. 

Bit icy for playing with a new bike - you'll have to cosset it into the drawing room. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Its not pinching its called free for all tool transferring, or unless your referring to the skip as his actual garage/shed? 🤡.

That's true. He was moving house and couldn't be bothered putting them on Facebook. Little collection of tools like mitres and band saws, grinders, etc. I ended up with a few quid for the duplicates and swapped out for upgrades and gave my mate the bandsaw so I know where it is if I need it.:D 

He was a good neighbour but I did alright from his move. Workbench too, folding tables, plus a nice big lump of wood for making a work top when I get round to the next shed building adventure. My scavenging eyes were on stalks. 

Now I wished I'd pinched the little log burner he had in his shed. The new neighbours haven't touched it, I haven't caught a whiff of it anyway. He'd often be found asleep in there with a few tinnies dotted about, what a lad. 

• Like 2

Back to the KTM though. I've put the new shims in and rechecked the clearances. I don't know what I've done but they don't seem to have changed, despite the definitely thinner shims that have gone in. Mind I haven't checked them all yet, not the really bad ones. Not sure if I'll get a chance now, the midwife says she can feel a head. Still, no need to panic it's only a quick job. 

• Like 3

Spent hours washing the thing to restore it to something like it's pristine state. Re-applied some XCP. Then some bloody shitehawk shat on it. Had to clean the spattered bit again. Given a choice I'd shoot the bloody feathered rat.

• Haha 3

Suspected a leak from one of the fork seals on the F650GS, took the dust seal off & this was the crud I found underneath:

01E2C499-F6D0-4A6A-883F-D3B58802C232.thumb.jpeg.2f0be74a73ece982b58f2b32848b30bb.jpeg
So much cleaning was done & then I used one of these to clean the seal ( got it free when I bought some fork seals for a different bike )

C5C80F3E-B2C1-4EA2-8F87-38C68EA5EB54.thumb.jpeg.896a0cb0a36acc06b38a649e7f37d505.jpeg
After much cleaning & front end bouncing, there is no longer a leak … either that or the fork leg is devoid of oil 😬

Edited by Mickly
  • Like 2

Dropped it while doing an oil change, making a mess all over the drive and breaking a mirror stalk.

Now where is that nob of the day thread...

• Sad 8

A lot of bikey things today...

VFR750.  Today I put in on SORN until April.  No point paying road tax when I will not be using it.  Six monthly from now on.

DT175MX.  Built up top end, rebuilt carb, dropped engine into frame and built up the right side of the motor.

DT100.  Insured it to start begining of Feb.  It being a US import, a lot of insurers would not touch it. However, Swintons were happy to insure it TPFT for £55 with no excess.  Do not see the point of comprehensive on the tiddler.  Its not like I will be cartwheeling it across the countryside at 100 mph.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Dropped it while doing an oil change, making a mess all over the drive and breaking a mirror stalk.

Ouch. I know how that feels, and it's not good:-( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, bonio said:

Ouch. I know how that feels, and it's not good:-( 

The bang continues to haunt me. I kept a brave face, but I was deeply traumatised - at a distance.

IMG_1606.thumb.JPG.4ed4797d156056002f7b2fda46482df6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Gerontious said:

The bang continues to haunt me. I kept a brave face, but I was deeply traumatised - at a distance.

IMG_1606.thumb.JPG.4ed4797d156056002f7b2fda46482df6.JPG

that's not funny

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

that's not funny

you’re right. It definitely was NOT funny. At the time. Quite a bit of damage to the bike and could easily have been a show-stopper. I felt sick.

• Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Ouch.. what happened there, why isn't anyone picking it up?

Because the priority seemed to be a photo.  I arrived and went straight to my hotel room to use the loo, while the rest did some usual faffing about. I heard the bang and rushed out to the balcony to see what happened and almost immediately the shouts came. PHOTO. So, I took a photo. That photo. I didn't see what happened. I assume Bonio didn't put his side stand down correctly and it doesnt take much for a heavy bike to go out of control and go over. sometimes letting it go over can be the best option in these circumstances as the risk of personal injury from trying to hold it up can be very high. especially if you are in your 60s. (which we both are)

In the event the damage wasn't severe. a few broken bits - yes. But these could all be repaired in full. And the bike would not show any signs, any marks afterwards. So he got off lightly. The engine bars did their job - up to a point.

The guys did a quick assessment. no fuel gushing. no horrible pool of engine oil forming. so a photo first then it took a bit of time to work out how to lift it as the KTM needed to be moved first. There was no rush because there was no need to rush. The KTM was hit (very slightly) and needed to be moved. so that had to happen.

But first.. the most important thing. document it - for posterity. kids eh. and the worst kid being the owner of the toppled bike with a big silly grin on his face.

Maybe he wasn't referring to this event. if he was alone and his bike went over - I doubt very much if he could lift it without help. being over 60 does that to a man.

• Haha 1

I twice lifted the Multistrada on my own using the back to the bike and pushing with my legs method. In both cases I had to sit down on the kerb and get my breath back. Don't plan on doing it on my own in future!

• Like 1