What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Put it on charge. Not been out on it since August. Inclination to do so has been almost non existent. Will likely clean it up a bit and get it up for sale soon, and have a think about what's next.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Packed it up for a ride north later today. The weather is absolutely vile. Have to go to Birmingham anyway for a medical so plan to keep on heading north anyway. But the weather is really not looking good.

Yes Birmingham is grim at the best of times its not good today hope you don't have to contend with the city centre traffic its never good

On 21/11/2022 at 12:20, MikeHorton said:

Yes Birmingham is grim at the best of times its not good today hope you don't have to contend with the city centre traffic its never good

Left the place I got my medical (Oldbury) at 1610 then Tom Tom took me around Birmingham at rush hour in torrential bloody rain. Paddled my way over to the M1 to be met by stationary traffic still in some of the heaviest rain I've ridden in. Filtered until someone moved and bust my mirror and whacked my wrist. Not really hurt but still a bit delicate. More my fault than anyone else so no finger pointing. Still absolutely pissing it down. Rain eased off around Doncaster and stopped by Durham. The monsoon seems to have killed my waterproof Drift camera and my waterproof gear wasn't.  Rain seeping down you neck will defeat even the best.

Finally arrived at Morpeth at 2200 where my dad, bless him had a hot toddy waiting. Hit the spot I can tell you!

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Left the place I got my medical (Oldbury) at 1610 then Tom Tom took me around Birmingham at rush hour in torrential bloody rain. Paddled my way over to the M1 to be met by stationary traffic still in some of the heaviest rain I've ridden in. Filtered until someone moved and bust my mirror and whacked my wrist. Not really hurt but still a bit delicate. More my fault than anyone else so no finger pointing. Still absolutely pissing it down. Rain eased off around Doncaster and stopped by Durham. The monsoon seems to have killed my waterproof Drift camera and my waterproof gear wasn't.  Rain seeping down you neck will defeat even the best.

Finally arrived at Morpeth at 2200 where my dad, bless him had a hot toddy waiting. Hit the spot I can tell you!

Sounds like a mammoth journey least you got home safe hope the wrist is feeling better and the mirror can be fixed or replaced unlike the wrist 

• Like 1

This morning I put it to bed hopefully ready for when I come home sometime in March. Looks pretty firm that I'll be joining off South Africa on December 2nd. 

Will definitely be changing tyres when I get back. I like the current Metzlers but just like the last rear this one has done less than 5000 miles and they seem to go from being okay to not in a very short time.

Seriously thinking about the latest Michelin pilots - 6? Anyone got any opinions on them - good or bad?

• Like 2

Oh, and bought some lone rider semi-ridged panniers.

…and a heated jacket. 

…and some new heated gloves to go with said jacket.

…and a headlight guard.

…and a quadlock mirror mount to go on the sat nav bar.

I think I’ve got a problem.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joe85 said:

…and a heated jacket. 

…and a headlight guard.

Good on you. Try to pick your weather though! 

On 25/11/2022 at 09:32, S-Westerly said:

This morning I put it to bed hopefully ready for when I come home sometime in March. Looks pretty firm that I'll be joining off South Africa on December 2nd. 

Will definitely be changing tyres when I get back. I like the current Metzlers but just like the last rear this one has done less than 5000 miles and they seem to go from being okay to not in a very short time.

Seriously thinking about the latest Michelin pilots - 6? Anyone got any opinions on them - good or bad?

After my Scotland trip last year, I couldn't wait to get shut of the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, only covered 7K on them, soon squared off and very uninspiring in the wet. Back in July I went for Michelin Pilot 6 and put 2.5K on them with my short trip to France earlier this year. Still in good shape, look like new, excellent in the wet and good under heavy braking. Not covered enough miles to comment on mileage wear yet, at 3k they are still in great shape. My tyre manufacturer of choice is either Michelin or Metzeler. :-D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pie man said:

After my Scotland trip last year, I couldn't wait to get shut of the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, only covered 7K on them, soon squared off and very uninspiring in the wet. Back in July I went for Michelin Pilot 6 and put 2.5K on them with my short trip to France earlier this year. Still in good shape, look like new, excellent in the wet and good under heavy braking. Not covered enough miles to comment on mileage wear yet, at 3k they are still in great shape. My tyre manufacturer of choice is either Michelin or Metzeler. :-D

My experience of the Pirellis was much the same as yours. I really like the Metzler tyres but I've not got 5000 miles on the back tyres yet. I checked them out just before I started a 300 mile run on a filthy wet day and they were okay although starting to square. By the time I got to Northumberland there was a 2 inch wide strip with virtually no tread left. Exactly the same happened with the previous one. Hence my fancying giving the Michelin 6 a go. 

12 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My experience of the Pirellis was much the same as yours. I really like the Metzler tyres but I've not got 5000 miles on the back tyres yet. I checked them out just before I started a 300 mile run on a filthy wet day and they were okay although starting to square. By the time I got to Northumberland there was a 2 inch wide strip with virtually no tread left. Exactly the same happened with the previous one. Hence my fancying giving the Michelin 6 a go. 

I will be putting a pair on the Yamaha early in the new year, it currently has Bridgestone BT023 and sat at 7.5K. The Bridgestone's have been great in the dry, not so in the wet. Michelin had a £30 cash back offer back in the summer, which I took, hopefully there might be another offer when you're back in blighty. 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2022 at 01:29, Joe85 said:

…and a heated jacket. 

…and a headlight guard.

Good Man. Nothing stopping you now, biking all year is great, especially when you have heated kit :thumb: 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pie man said:

I bought some XCP Rust Blocker Rusk Protection Spray and XCP Cleaner and Degreaser, going to give this a go instead of ACF50, had the Yam treated with it last year by AYB and it worked a treat. 

I had the same put on last December also by AYB. Seems to have worked really well and I'll get it done again when I come home.

• Like 1

Installed a Data Tool Stealth. Quite a good serves - £309 including 1-years subscription, and they come to your hosue to install it. Also the Heated Jacket Premium from Gerbing is top notch, has built in cable in the arms for you gloves to. Very clean set up and makes winter rinding very comfortable.

• Like 1