The other ER5 restoration .

44 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Time for another one then? ... Marketplace - Kawasaki er5 (facebook.com)

Crikey that's a bargain . Bad timing , if I hadn't bought the first one , that could have been my winter project . I think I've had enough of ER5's for a while though. 

28 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Crikey that's a bargain . Bad timing , if I hadn't bought the first one , that could have been my winter project . I think I've had enough of ER5's for a while though. 

Just thought I would mention it as it is local to you in Coventry.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2020 at 19:38, fastbob said:

Here we go . I used a bit of scrap carbon fibre number plate to knock up a bracket extension . It'll do the job for now .

IMG_20201105_192418125.thumb.jpg.69ece5c40b647ffc21a1fb0af9684437.jpg

In the end I gave up trying to sort this thing out . The pipes are oriented all wrong and completely differently to how I thought they would go . This arrangement would work better with no airbox but I'm not going down that route . So in the end I fitted the original tap . 

IMG_20201213_013127895.jpg

• 5 months later...

It's been a while but I've found the time to drag the ER5 out and fire it up . It literally fired up first touch of the button . Not a lot to say really . 

Screenshot_20210601-192304.png

• Like 1

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better my neighbor handed me these mirrors . The whole project has just been elevated to a different level of classiness . 

Polish_20210601_195138288.jpg

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, fastbob said:

It's been a while but I've found the time to drag the ER5 out and fire it up . It literally fired up first touch of the button . Not a lot to say really . 

dont make too much noise when you fire it up bobs having a nap

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

Jesus! 

What you been feeding the cat? I see a name change to fatbob coming :D 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jesus! 

What you been feeding the cat? I see a name change to fatbob coming :D 

A common problem in neutered tom cats . Lazy and greedy . 

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

An update  . Started this thing up back in the Spring and I did not like what I heard . It sounded like a bag of spanners . So I put a cover over it and walked away . Until today . I've just popped the cam cover off and all looks good . But do not rely on your eyes alone , give everything a wiggle . WTF ! The inlet cam sprocket is rattling loose ! I had replaced the camshafts but it never occurred to me to check the bolts . They must have been just  finger tight all along . So I'm going to torque them up and see what it sounds like after that . The moral is , take nothing for granted when buying second hand parts . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, fastbob said:

An update  . Started this thing up back in the Spring and I did not like what I heard . It sounded like a bag of spanners . So I put a cover over it and walked away . Until today . I've just popped the cam cover off and all looks good . But do not rely on your eyes alone , give everything a wiggle . WTF ! The inlet cam sprocket is rattling loose ! I had replaced the camshafts but it never occurred to me to check the bolts . They must have been just  finger tight all along . So I'm going to torque them up and see what it sounds like after that . The moral is , take nothing for granted when buying second hand parts . 

Don't forget the Loctite!

On 01/06/2021 at 19:24, fastbob said:

and it looks like the other bob isn't saying too much either 😆

57 minutes ago, skyrider said:

I was in denial . It started easy enough but there was a clacking noise that even an ER5 shouldn't make.

23 hours ago, fastbob said:

I was in denial . It started easy enough but there was a clacking noise that even an ER5 shouldn't make.

On 23/09/2021 at 18:50, skyrider said:

I was in denial . It started easy enough but there was a clacking noise that even an ER5 shouldn't make.         Oh this forum is driving me bloody mad ! Why can't I make a new post in this thread without having to quote myself ? 

Right . Put the bike back together racing against the failing light . Hit the button and and the thing is absolutely whirring and purring . What a difference ! The best sounding ER5 engine I've built so far . ....... However , having not had time to connect the throttle cable and completely forgetting that I can set the idle speed with the throttle stop screw , I can only keep the thing running at a fast idle by manipulating the choke ( Enricher ) So I let it run at a fast idle for no more than a minute and a half and , lo and behold , both the exhaust pipes are glowing bright red ! I had to do a double take because I've never actually seen a pair of glowing exhaust pipes before , not in real life anyway and certainly not on a humble ER5 . I'm packing it in for today but I really don't know what to make of this latest twist . Any ideas ? 

Hi Bob

In the morning I would start with the kettle and thermostat test.

Did the fan kick in as after all you weren`t benefiting from any airflow over the rad/engine.

I am sure the timing is right but a check of the advance mechanism wouldn1t hurt.

Be interested to see how it turns out.

Cheers

Ian