Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

20 hours ago, Bender said:

Only thing I would suggest for future longevity and making deck last longer is, leave a bigger gap around the edge, stops contact with walls, traps less moisture,allows it to dry quicker.

It will be getting further treatment, and can't really be seen in the pictures there are only a few tight spots most of it has a few mm gap, but advice greatly appreciated as always :thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dynax said:

It will be getting further treatment, and can't really be seen in the pictures there are only a few tight spots most of it has a few mm gap, but advice greatly appreciated as always :thumb:

Best off with a good even gap, room for expansion in future if when wood expands.

• Like 1

Morning!

Hearing news that house prices are falling at their fastest rate in 14 years. They do try to make it sound scary, but for those who bought 5 or more years ago, it could drop through the floor and you'd still be in profit. And no one outside the big cities will meaningfully be affected. But for people like me stuck in flats with small mortgages, it's a welcome sign. Might be able to afford a place with a garage that doesn't require a generator backed battery system that I've built in. 

• Like 2

Don't really understand the press.

"Bear housing market pushes home owners closer to negative equity"

"Soaring house prices makes home ownership for under 35s a distant dream"

no pleasing some.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bonio said:

Don't really understand the press.

"Bear housing market pushes home owners closer to negative equity"

"Soaring house prices makes home ownership for under 35s a distant dream"

no pleasing some.

We have a government that set a target of 300,000 new homes built per year to keep up with demand, then barely managed 30,000. Then with record immigration this last year, despite a target of bringing it down, we've seen housing become scarce. And with the taxes you're hit with if you want to downsize, there's no incentive for older folk to find a smaller place and pocket the difference, as they end up with a huge tax bill they'd rather leave to kids/family. And who wouldn't, as when you die, any inheritance you leave is also taxed to death. 

But with housing, it saw a balloon effect in some areas. Near me for example, a house sold for £158k in 2002, and £182k in 2012. But end of 2022 went up for £400k. It's mad to me that in one block of 10 years it went up £24k, and the next £218k. And there's dozens like it. In the last few months they've dipped about 5%, but even by the end of next year it will likely not be more than 15%, which will still leave them highly inflated. 

You'd think the media would be making more noise. High housing prices really don't help anyone but banks who make profits on the mortgages, and a government who uses the housing markets size to use as collateral against its borrowing. But instead as you say, it's right wing complaints about those with 95% mortgages slipping into negative equity, and left wing complaints about them being un-affordable. 

Good evening.

Out for a ride today I stopped for coffee on route after seeing this little beaut parked up. The owner said there’s still a bit of work left to do on it but I couldn’t spot anything. 

3E561512-BC39-4377-B2DE-9067AE1A607D.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

That seat. A joy to behold.

I’ll stick with the GS’s seat…

He’d only travelled 15miles to get to the coffee stop (at Longhorsley. Recommended) and was returning straight home. I think that would be my limit on it, too.

If that's Longhorsley in Northumberland we almost bought a house there back in the day. Didn't know there was a coffee stop there as usually flee through it on my way to Rothbury. 

Edited by S-Westerly