Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

I've just read an email from Shell Energy about our electricity and gas tariffs.  They are charging me more than the new price cap. The cap is 30p per unit for electricity,  with 53p a day standing charge.

I'm paying 31p per kwh and 62p a day standing charge.

The gas standing charge is also over the cap. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've just read an email from Shell Energy about our electricity and gas tariffs.  They are charging me more than the new price cap. The cap is 30p per unit for electricity,  with 53p a day standing charge.

I'm paying 31p per kwh and 62p a day standing charge.

The gas standing charge is also over the cap. 

How do they justify that?

I would be straight onto OfGem

• Like 1

I mentioned thar our energy tariff with Shell exceeds the OFGEM price cap. 

I asked about this and their reply was that they are allowed to set different prices across different regions. When put together the average cost will be within the price cap.

So it's all a con. They can ignore the price cap and charge whatever they like. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I've been trying a bit harder to find a job! 

I'm not enjoying it much!

Agency people are starting to do my head in! :classic_biggrin:

1 phoned me up today to see if I wanted to be a funeral director! :classic_biggrin: :scratch:

not only do I need a job, I need a beer! :beer2: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I mentioned thar our energy tariff with Shell exceeds the OFGEM price cap. 

I asked about this and their reply was that they are allowed to set different prices across different regions. When put together the average cost will be within the price cap.

So it's all a con. They can ignore the price cap and charge whatever they like. 

That sounds like ombudsmen heaven. I'd be in touch with them. 

The ofgem rules are explicit in their wording "The energy price cap is set at an annual level of £2,074 for a dual fuel household paying by direct debit based on typical consumption". It makes no mention of it being an average, and you're not legally allowed to mislead people with a rate they can't access if they meet the qualifying conditions. And that's before we get onto the discriminatory nature of charging people based on region... Sounds like a middle class tax. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

That sounds like ombudsmen heaven. I'd be in touch with them. 

The ofgem rules are explicit in their wording "The energy price cap is set at an annual level of £2,074 for a dual fuel household paying by direct debit based on typical consumption". It makes no mention of it being an average, and you're not legally allowed to mislead people with a rate they can't access if they meet the qualifying conditions. And that's before we get onto the discriminatory nature of charging people based on region... Sounds like a middle class tax. 

I looked at other suppliers - like Octopus - they're doing the same. 

I've sent a message to OFGEM, will report what I hear back.

7 hours ago, rennie said:

1 phoned me up today to see if I wanted to be a funeral director! :classic_biggrin: :scratch:

'Steel foundry, crematorium. It's the same thing innit? '  is probably what was going through Agency blokes head :lol:

We gave up using indeed to get people after we put on an advert once. Asked for a minimum of 3-5 years experience working as a fryer for all applicants. They sent us one guy who had worked in Mcdonalds as a summer job back when he was 16 almost 20 years ago!! no other food related experience on his CV. He had worked as a data input clerk for practically all his work life :scratch:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I looked at other suppliers - like Octopus - they're doing the same. 

I've sent a message to OFGEM, will report what I hear back.

How about British Gas? I’m with them, and the rate is 0.5p below the cap limit on everything on their standard tariff. I’m not that far up the road from you. 

I’d be surprised if OFGEM didn’t side with you. The £2074 is just based on a typical user, based on a fix rate and standing charge. It sounds like they are chancing it with a deliberately bad interpretation of the rules. You’d think Shell would behave better, seeing as they’ve been caught selling Russian gas despite promises last year to pull out of that market.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

How about British Gas? I’m with them, and the rate is 0.5p below the cap limit on everything on their standard tariff. I’m not that far up the road from you. 

I’d be surprised if OFGEM didn’t side with you. The £2074 is just based on a typical user, based on a fix rate and standing charge. It sounds like they are chancing it with a deliberately bad interpretation of the rules. You’d think Shell would behave better, seeing as they’ve been caught selling Russian gas despite promises last year to pull out of that market.

I'll think about trying British Gas. The only snag is I used to be with them and their customer service was dreadful. Mind you, it can't be any worse than Shell. When you ring you get a call centre in India who can only go off a prepared script that has no bearing on what you're asking. 

On 30/06/2023 at 14:51, rennie said:

Didn't get the job! :crybaby: It was Babcock. Oh well back to the drawing board

That’s a bit of a bugger. Fingers crossed some thing comes up soon. 

• Thanks 1

We had a busy day lime plastering a wall as part of the house renovation. It’s bloody hard work. Two of us working it took around six hours to do (yes, we’re slow). We have the larger wall facing this to do today. 

E6CCCFC6-3174-49DC-BEF1-10F02B6C23C0.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 4