Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

17 hours ago, goat said:

Getting somewhere with our extension finally. Taken a bloody year to get to this point and still correcting things the shit builder did or didn't do. Final bits over the next few weeks and the kitchen is all ready to go.

20230701_064321.thumb.jpg.56a6e7310e75219e67006843a52e7b39.jpg

That’s looking good. 

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Engineering skills coach? Is that teaching them which size hammer to use?

😉😁

Nope, it’s how to make nails with your forehead 🤣

• Haha 1

Got my garden power tools out of the shed this afternoon, not been used for a couple of years still had fuel in the tanks, the strimmer started no problem, the chainsaw took a few pulls to start but started and ran like it should, the hedge trimmer was the worst to start, but after some carb cleaner and some fresh fuel eventually ran like a good un' :thumb:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dynax said:

Got my garden power tools out of the shed this afternoon, not been used for a couple of years still had fuel in the tanks, the strimmer started no problem, the chainsaw took a few pulls to start but started and ran like it should, the hedge trimmer was the worst to start, but after some carb cleaner and some fresh fuel eventually ran like a good un' :thumb:

Mowers excepted, all my gardening power tools are (Stihl) electric. In winter the hedge trimmer can take a few moments to warm up the gearbox grease, but other wise, totally reliable. Bear in mind I was a self employed gardener for four years, they’ve had an above average amount of use/ abuse. 

• Like 1

I have a petrol stihl hedge trimmer. Was my father-in-laws back when he had a landscaping business so is a bit of a monster :lol:  I bought a makita cordless hedge trimmer last year and I find myself reaching for that everytime I do the hedges now. It's lighter and powerful enough for what I need.

I was actually very surprised how good it is, I never really rated battery garden stuff before

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I have a petrol stihl hedge trimmer. Was my father-in-laws back when he had a landscaping business so is a bit of a monster :lol:  I bought a makita cordless hedge trimmer last year and I find myself reaching for that everytime I do the hedges now. It's lighter and powerful enough for what I need.

I was actually very surprised how good it is, I never really rated battery garden stuff before

I had a couple of petrol driven tools but I got a contract to do maintenance around stables, so changed to battery powered kit. I’m really Impressed by their performance, though the strimmer and leaf blower run down the battery very quickly ( I have three batteries so it’s not too much of an issue)

• Like 1

Good afternoon.

The local car club held their inaugural classic car show at Lanercost today. I popped down to have a look. I’d guess about 50 vehicles were on show, ranging from relatively modern to over 100 yrs old. Quite a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours, with many owners being quite happy to chat about their motor.

A301CA1D-9D3A-437E-92D7-1C7ADA8BC899.jpeg

5B4E07FD-BF54-40F8-8DE0-3FBC810AA508.jpeg

F6AD9129-1B1B-4E4B-B30C-EB14BAC66311.jpeg

347C2F12-637F-4BBD-9ECD-39A682E90ADB.jpeg

5472A1E5-F308-4D37-A143-1A68938C8559.jpeg

DB0DC00B-554C-45E3-9E51-D7B753CCE962.jpeg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Pie man said:

Managed to dig out the old faithful map. I will be mulling over this in the next few weeks, seeking out routes and hopefully an area for a base for a few days :thumb: 

MichelinMapMidWestGermany.thumb.jpeg.ec228190e95e48f3f824bd0e3af94f97.jpeg  

Does that still show the Berlin Wall in place?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good Morning :classic_biggrin:

I lived in Germany for a few years! ( Ex squaddie) I was there while the wall came down.

Loved it! and we've been back in the campervan since :thumb:

I'd go again tomorrow given half a chance

• Like 2

I'm back from my interview at the local Tech. College,

I think it went well but hard to know for sure:scratch:

You were right about the safeguarding questions @goat!

Thank you! I was prepared :thumb:

The job is assessor/skills coach for engineering apprentices.

I'll have to wait about a week to find out if I've got it, the money is not good but the hours are good!

I have another interview on Thursday for a job that's completely the opposite! on the tools for an automotive component manufacturer

shift work and a bit of a commute, way more money!

I was asked to apply directly by the company who saw my CV on the net.

If all goes well I'm going to have a big decision to make ! :scratch: :beer2: :classic_biggrin:

'

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rennie said:

I'm back from my interview at the local Tech. College,

I think it went well but hard to know for sure:scratch:

You were right about the safeguarding questions @goat!

Thank you! I was prepared :thumb:

The job is assessor/skills coach for engineering apprentices.

I'll have to wait about a week to find out if I've got it, the money is not good but the hours are good!

I have another interview on Thursday for a job that's completely the opposite! on the tools for an automotive component manufacturer

shift work and a bit of a commute, way more money!

I was asked to apply directly by the company who saw my CV on the net.

If all goes well I'm going to have a big decision to make ! :scratch: :beer2: :classic_biggrin:

'

You might need to be a bit cautious about college hours. They can look good but there are hidden hours depending on the job. Parents evenings, open days, interview evenings for new students, 'training' days in holiday periods, meetings at the end of the day. If you end up needing to do teacher training they scheduled that on a Wednesday evening, no overtime or toil. Then there's lesson prep and marking. Used to spend most weekends, evenings, half terms doing stuff. We were allocated leave that looked generous but I never met anyone who took all their leave allowance.

I'm not really selling it am I 🤣