Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

1 hour ago, Bender said:

White speed fit plastic hand tight 1/2 connector and separate in line speed fit iso valve, one with thumb turn, never had either leak

Now you tell me! 😂 

The toilet’s in. I used a speed connector - much easier. All I have to do now is sort out the waste. We’ve completely remodelled this part of the house so the current waste pipes in the adjacent space (the barn) need to be reconfigured and the toilet and hand basin connected to the existing soil stack. I know how to have fun in retirement. 🤔😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

Now you tell me! 😂 

The toilet’s in. I used a speed connector - much easier. All I have to do now is sort out the waste. We’ve completely remodelled this part of the house so the current waste pipes in the adjacent space (the barn) need to be reconfigured and the toilet and hand basin connected to the existing soil stack. I know how to have fun in retirement. 🤔😂

Think I'd rather work. At least I'd be paid for it!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Think I'd rather work. At least I'd be paid for it!

My hourly rate (as in how much it would cost per hour to get this done) is pretty good. Especially taking tax and NI into account. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Whoever thought of the way headlight bulbs have to installed in modern cars should shot, slowly, and over a bed of red hot coals.

My old car was awful used to take so long I think they do it like they so you go to the dealer. Our local Halfords used to be quite good for fitting them and they never used to charge what they were meant to for fitting. My current car is way easier to change them 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Whoever thought of the way headlight bulbs have to installed in modern cars should shot, slowly, and over a bed of red hot coals.

Try one on a 300zx tt, I would love one now just to take it to halfords for a laugh 😂 

9 minutes ago, Bender said:

Try one on a 300zx tt, I would love one now just to take it to halfords for a laugh 😂 

So you're rolling round in the mud with the rain lashing down and your arm is up under the wheel arch like a vet with his hand up a cow's bum, except this orifice is full of razor sharp metal bits that slice your fingers to shreds. You can't see a thing and there's bits that drop off and disappear into some dark place where all the 10mm sockets go, and you know you'll never see them again and they will rattle like the proverbial bag of spanners falling down an endless flight of stairs.

And then when at the uttermost reach of what is left of your fingertips the bulb slides into place you discover it can go two ways round and it is an absolute certainty the way it has gone in isn't the right one. 

So when it is in, and you seal up the wheel arch, you discover the rubber disc that is meant to go over the back of the holder is still on the ground. And whilst it came off with just a gentle tug it takes nine million tons of pressure to get the damn thing back on again.

And then, and then - you read the instructions on the packet to "Always replace bulbs in pairs "

Really? You really think that having replaced the one that is broken I'm going to go through it all again and do the same for one that is working perfectly well?

Well I'm not. If the other one goes I'm going to duct tape a torch to the bonnet.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Evening! 

Today I am officially broken! 

Was out on the lash last night and must have drank everything they had :puke:

I didn't crawl out of bed till gone 1 

I was out last night, my misses she kept plying me with alcohol.

Then I went to the bar and found out why....

1402582881_IMG_20220205_190707_3162.thumb.jpg.e5136e16eec40f261f6b72ee39b4d967.jpg

Pint of bitter and a Fevertree Tonic £1.65, admittedly it was half price..

Even in the south the are some hidden gems...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

So you're rolling round in the mud with the rain lashing down and your arm is up under the wheel arch like a vet with his hand up a cow's bum, except this orifice is full of razor sharp metal bits that slice your fingers to shreds. You can't see a thing and there's bits that drop off and disappear into some dark place where all the 10mm sockets go, and you know you'll never see them again and they will rattle like the proverbial bag of spanners falling down an endless flight of stairs.

And then when at the uttermost reach of what is left of your fingertips the bulb slides into place you discover it can go two ways round and it is an absolute certainty the way it has gone in isn't the right one. 

So when it is in, and you seal up the wheel arch, you discover the rubber disc that is meant to go over the back of the holder is still on the ground. And whilst it came off with just a gentle tug it takes nine million tons of pressure to get the damn thing back on again.

And then, and then - you read the instructions on the packet to "Always replace bulbs in pairs "

Really? You really think that having replaced the one that is broken I'm going to go through it all again and do the same for one that is working perfectly well?

Well I'm not. If the other one goes I'm going to duct tape a torch to the bonnet.

Probably easier to remove the headlight! 

What car is it on 

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Probably easier to remove the headlight! 

What car is it on 

Astra. Nothing fancy or exotic. Removing the headlight means taking the bumper off and they rarely go back on without some plastic bit snapping off. 

Motorbikes are so much nicer to work on. 

Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Astra. Nothing fancy or exotic. Removing the headlight means taking the bumper off and they rarely go back on without some plastic bit snapping off. 

Motorbikes are so much nicer to work on. 

Hmmm 

Might upset you here! 

Vauxhall cleverly put a access hole in a lot their cars for headlight bulbs! if it has one it will be in the wheel arch and is a flap that opens 

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Hmmm 

Might upset you here! 

Vauxhall cleverly put a access hole in a lot their cars for headlight bulbs! if it has one it will be in the wheel arch and is a flap that opens 

Yup, that the hole I've had my hand through in the wheel arch. Even with the steering on full lock it's like the black hole of Calcutta in there, and it's covered in mud and filth. Plus there's bugger all room to fiddle around in. 

It didn't help that it's the nearside one which means you can only get your right hand in there and I'm left handed.

Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Yup, that the hole I've had my hand through in the wheel arch. Even with the steering on full lock it's like the black hole of Calcutta in there, and it's covered in mud and filth. Plus there's bugger all room to fiddle around in. 

It didn't help that it's the nearside one which means you can only get your right hand in there and I'm left handed.

Ah! I thought you went from under the car! 

I did one on my mates astra and found it pretty easy except for actually making the bulb clip in the holder on the headlight 

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ah! I thought you went from under the car! 

I did one on my mates astra and found it pretty easy except for actually making the bulb clip in the holder on the headlight 

It was the bulb holder that made me cross.

Doing it in the pouring rain with a howling gale didn't really make the experience more enjoyable. 

Renault's are the same or at least was on my wife's old MK2 Mégane. Doubt they've changed the practice.

Had to take wheel off to get enough clearance to fit my arm in the tiny access panel.

• Sad 1

Good morning! 

Was off most of last week as in the small hours of Wednesday, my appendix went pop. Woke up with high temp, body shakes, and a splitting feeling in my stomach. Girlfriend thought I was having a fit!

Got down to A&E and was scheduled for an emergency appendectomy to whip it out, which all happened Friday morning after a CT scan to confirm. Hopefully find out what caused it in a couple of weeks, but the surgeon said having been in there that there was no sign of a disease that had spread, which is comforting. He also took out some of the tissues around it just to make sure. 

Hopefully this week sees me get better, but at the moment I'm definitely going through the peak of the bruising and swelling. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Good morning! 

Was off most of last week as in the small hours of Wednesday, my appendix went pop. Woke up with high temp, body shakes, and a splitting feeling in my stomach. Girlfriend thought I was having a fit!

Got down to A&E and was scheduled for an emergency appendectomy to whip it out, which all happened Friday morning after a CT scan to confirm. Hopefully find out what caused it in a couple of weeks, but the surgeon said having been in there that there was no sign of a disease that had spread, which is comforting. He also took out some of the tissues around it just to make sure. 

Hopefully this week sees me get better, but at the moment I'm definitely going through the peak of the bruising and swelling. 

Not nice, hope you are on the up

This is how you do it on my volvo :lol: 

The wifes car on the other hand with its fancy LED lights are none replaceable and you have to buy a whole new headlight 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1